myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
35 MPH on a Kona One
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
konajoe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDo

I'm really interested in what you are saying. Could you reword your last post with less TLA's (TLA is the 3 letter acronym for three letter acronym).
KevinDo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
KevinDo

I'm really interested in what you are saying. Could you reword your last post with less TLA's (TLA is the 3 letter acronym for three letter acronym).

Just wanted to say I'm not trying to be argumentative if it sounds like it! Very Happy

Note:Anyways regarding my last post let me see if I can try to explain it better.

Note#2: Kind of went off track and started typing a lot...my bad!

GPS-Speedsurfing aka GP3S recommends certain GPS units to use. They include the well known Garmin ForeTrex line which has the 201 (which was the benchmark till 2006/7) and 101 (non-doppler units). The newer 301s/401s haven't been approved yet. The other unit that is recommended and the benchmark is the GT-31 and the older GT-11 (doppler units). Both of these units are the recommended one as they can output NMEA data which allows the softwares to have more data to calculate speed.

Currently, 3 softwares are approved to be used: GPSResults by Manfred Fuchs, IntelliSpeed by Mal Wright (the Time Machine foils and former outright sailing speed record holder), and GPS Action Replay (Java based). You don't need the software to upload data but it does help you analyze your tracks from determining where your fastest line was or which angle you were sailing etc. If you don't want to use the software than you can simply just upload the GPX(garmins) or SBNs/SBPs files (GT-31/11) straight to the site. The site itself uses GPSResults to calculate your results.

Now all 3 have filter settings you can set to remove odd spikes and such but it is still possible to get spikes in once in awhile. It's really up to the user to go over the tracks to determine if anything is wrong. Sometimes the easiest way to determine if your top speed is incorrect is to check the 10 sec / 100m speed. But still some guys don't and we get odd results uploaded to GPS-Speedsurfing (GP3S).

The top guys though are record members which mean they use the GT-32 set up. The GT-32 uses two GT-31s with same firmware and the results from that session are averaged in GPSResults.

Now regarding the units themselves, as mentioned earlier there are the GT-31s and 11s by Locosys and the Garmin ForeTrex 101,201 (301 and 401 aren't approved yet...). I've used all 3, GT-31, 201, &401, simultaneously and found that the 401 and GT-31 showed very similar speeds while the 201 was constantly spiking in the turns. After 60 sessions, the 201 has spiked 7 times while the 401 spiked once in a turn and showed me a 34kt alpha@500 (would be a world record if it were true haha). The GT-31 has yet to show any odd results. It should be noted all 3 units NEED a waterproof bag/case.

For the GPS event the locals and I have, I'm the TimeKeeper and carefully go through all the SBN files (we all use GT-31s) to ensure there is no spike. The event is month long and requires the sailors to submit 2 sessions to get averaged. Regarding tides and affecting speeds...I'm not an expert in that field so I can't comment but I'm sure it does affect speeds. The tide though at cabrillo inside isn't fast though like San Francisco. Either way the sailors have a whole month to get 2 sessions in good conditions Very Happy

If you are getting into GPS speedsailing than I'd highly recommend a GT-31 as the speed genie feature is just awesome. Speed Genie is a feedback feature which for me is set to 10sec runs and a peak of 27kts. What that means is during a deep offwind run, if I go over 27kts it will start blaring. After it detects me slowing down it will show me a screen of my fastest speed in that run and the accompanying 10sec. Very useful feature that the Garmins dont' have yet.

The guy who set that awesome speed on the KonaOne did so at the well known Strand Horst in the Netherlands. Great spot for slingshotting! Either way though, I never expected that sort of speed from a KonaOne. Definitely amazing achievement on his part!

Well I think I talked to much...if you have any questions about GPS Speedsailing feel free to ask!

-Kevin

Last edited by KevinDo on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
KevinDo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should also say the future for GPS units might be the FlySight gps. The developer has shown interest in creating one for speedsailing with a 10hz chip. What does that mean? The current benchmark records every 1 second, the ublox chip can record every 1/10th a second. The GT-31 has proven itself to be VERY accurate and close to video timing systems but the ublox prototype made by Manfred Fuchs has shown to have results nearly identical to the video timing systems in Luderitz.

-Kevin

Last edited by KevinDo on Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this by accident,

28.x kt peak by a KonaOne in the US

http://www.gps-speedsurfing.com/default.aspx?mnu=user&val=133313&uid=2116

outhaul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@kevindo
I'm ready to buy a gps unit for the fun of it. Which model would you go with and which is best value?

Thanks
KevinDo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outhaul wrote:
@kevindo
I'm ready to buy a gps unit for the fun of it. Which model would you go with and which is best value?

Thanks

Outhaul,

I originally started with the Garmin ForeTrex 401 and was pleased with it. Regardless of what it says, I recommend you put the ForeTrex (and ALL other gps units) in a water proof pouch like the recommended AquaPac pouch.

The FT401 worked well for someone just wanting to have fun but I guarantee you, you will get hooked and constantly want to improve on what you have! That's where the Locosys GT-31 comes in; The benchmark for GPSSS! The thing I like about the GT-31 is the battery is internal/rechargeable. It became a hassle for me to constantly change the batteries out every week on the FT401. Triple As can get expensive in my opinion.

The FT401 does show your top speed but other than that it's...really .... The Locosys GT-31 can be set up to when you go past a certain speed it will start beeping and after you are done with that "run" it will display information like Fastest Top speed/Fastest X second of that run. That feature alone was the selling point for me. Also the GT-31, using a SD card can hold a lot more data than FT401 which I believe can hold about 4-5 hours.

I guess all in all I am recommending the GT-31. It should be noted that it is being discontinued and the GPS community is looking for a replacement which can take some time. Future replacement might be the unit that FlySight is developing (10hz one).

http://www.midwestspeedquest.com/page31/page31.html

If you ever need help setting it up or with speedsailing you can PM me here or contact me through my site. Boris can also be of help too...that is when he gets back from Luderitz!

Welcome to GPS Speedsailing Very Happy

-Kevin

wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the locosys GT31 and like it alot. I now have come to grips with the fact that I am not very fast. No flat water spots near home unless I want to drive an hour or more. Get one you'll like it! Easy to use too! I sup with it too.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
I have the locosys GT31 and like it alot. I now have come to grips with the fact that I am not very fast. No flat water spots near home unless I want to drive an hour or more. Get one you'll like it! Easy to use too! I sup with it too.

I wouldn't say that you are not fast, you just never got a chance to try a flat water spot!!

-Kevin

wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin! I have to start using the GT31 more. Kind of got depressed seeing I was only going 24 mph. Don't have a kona one though, but I believe my JP FSW 84 L may be just as fast. I'll keep wotking on it.
outhaul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I know the Gt-31 is highly regarded and that a sanctioned replacement is due but sounds like that could be many months away.
Are we talking about a few months or more like a year?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: