myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Access at Kanaha Maui in Danger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riptide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor wrote:
is this really an issue?

from what i gather the incidents happened in april. i was there in may and again in august for two weeks each time and di not hear a peep about it.

it all sounds like what happens at every launch, a self appointed beach master saying 'they'll shut this place down............"

This Maui situation is now at the Governors office in Hawaii.

The Coast Guard came out with a Safety bulletin this past April because of all the knucklehead BS, windsurfers, SUP, Kite boarders and Kayakers have been up too in the San Francisco Bay area.

I take offense of your reference to quote you " self appointed beach master "

I am a volunteer site steward for the San Francisco Board Sailing Association under there supervision and approval.

And if you do not like the way I do it, volunteer and give me a break.
xander.arch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on Maui now. This is my third trip in four years and it looks to me like the kiters are getting much more aggressive. Yesterday at Kanaha I saw two separate (and very dangerous) incidents with kiters trying to aggressively short jibe onto a wave right in front of a windsurfer who had clear priority.
madmax7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry Xander but stay on point

Right of way crap has been discussed on forums since th beg of time

This is about collaborating or getting banned

Cheers Max

PS. I go there at least 2 times a year, don't know what that's got to do w it! Other than if banned I'm gonna have to sell my time shares!
SWE106

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

signed. free and safe access for all, regardless of situation. always respect swimmers, always keep safe distance, always be humble, always be respectful, never be bullied, always stand up for yourself and justice, 'cause when good men do nothing evil will triumph....
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALERT update:
"Mr Ed Underwood from DLNR-DOBOR just confirmed that the State is moving forward and preparing to install three sets of swim zone buoys at Kanaha Beach. These buoys will designate the expanded zones that will exclude all vessels and watercraft. This includes; kites, canoes, windsurfers, surfers, SUP etc. The expanded zone includes about three thousand five hundred (3500) feet of shoreline that will become a exclusive swim only zones. This represents a huge increase over the currently used areas. Now any vessel or craft that attempts to enter or cross these expanded zones will be subject to increased enforcement which includes; fines and possible confiscation of equipment. The DLNR has already built the buoys and plans to install them.
Immediate action is needed defer the installation of these buoys, until a better management plan can be reached.
Concerned people should contact the authorities to try to persuade then to defer the buoy installation, and amend the management plan.
"
http://www.change.org/petitions/state-dobor-hawaii-please-protect-ocean-access-at-kanaha-beach-change-the-outdated-rules-to-reflect-the-current-use
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to escalate this to the national (or global) forum?
Or make it "sticky" for a while?
There's no trace of this thread at
http://www.iwindsurf.com/index.iws or
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=1

I would think that this is a matter relevant to the whole WS community worldwide...

((MODERATOR: bip, Announcement made on the main Windsurfing forum!))
rigatoni

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite my best efforts, I cannot quite ascertain how this impacts WINDSURFING access at Kanaha. Is there a map or diagram that is out there that could help us get more informed about the issue? If this is about restricting kite access in places that are designated swimming areas, what is the problem with that?
Riptide

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigatoni wrote:
Despite my best efforts, I cannot quite ascertain how this impacts WINDSURFING access at Kanaha. Is there a map or diagram that is out there that could help us get more informed about the issue? If this is about restricting kite access in places that are designated swimming areas, what is the problem with that?

[/img]

The swim zone prohibits, windsurfing too !

kitebeach-maui-aerial-diagram-starr_s.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  421.91 KB
 Viewed:  16636 Time(s)

kitebeach-maui-aerial-diagram-starr_s.jpg

chophop

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where at Kanaha will windsurf launching now be allowed? Crying or Very sad
shredley

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd ask all windsurfers and friends to please sign because the current windsurf launches and school areas will be primarily affected and the kite area as well to a lesser extent. Ironically this was all caused by a conflict in the kite zone that did not involve windsurfing.

Attached is an image showing the swim zones that are currently on the books and might be marked off limits according to kiteforum. It's hard to see but they are shown in dashed black lines around kaa point and 2 more upwind in the current windsurf launch areas. This is not my image I'm just reposting because the petition is so hard to understand.

Having said all that in the worst case scenario it looks to me like you would still be able to sail kanaha although the launch might be restrictive, and perhaps the worst effect might be to the schools and learners. I'm not a local only sailed it a little so it's hard for me to tell exactly.

swim zones.jpg
 Description:
swim zones
 Filesize:  56.64 KB
 Viewed:  16629 Time(s)

swim zones.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: