myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Medium-Powerful wave sails
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alaravan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Medium-Powerful wave sails Reply with quote

Hi friends! I have been sailing with Severne S1 Sails the last three years. It`s a very soft sail, especially in the surf. My last wave board was a jp single thruster 83L 2011. It got planning quickly, and It had a good surf. The problem came when the wind raise, becouse you began to "loose" the control...
Now I have a naish wave 80L 2012. This board needs a little more wind than the other to get planning, but you can sail very confortable even when the wind is really strong. However, I would like to try a medium poweful sail (at least, more power than the S1) I have tried the naish boxer and I liked it much. ¿Could you recomend another medium power sail?

Thank you all!!!
Wink
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost every brand has their version of a power wave, for example:
Gaastra - Poison
Maui Sails - Global
Goya - Banzai and Eclipse
Hot Sails Maui - Firelight and KS3
Naish - Force
Severne - Blade
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We generally pick our power each session by the size of the sail, not the brand. We can change sizes in minutes, but changing brands takes days.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Medium-Powerful wave sails Reply with quote

alaravan wrote:
Hi friends! I have been sailing with Severne S1 Sails the last three years. It`s a very soft sail, especially in the surf. My last wave board was a jp single thruster 83L 2011. It got planning quickly, and It had a good surf. The problem came when the wind raise, becouse you began to "loose" the control...
Now I have a naish wave 80L 2012. This board needs a little more wind than the other to get planning, but you can sail very confortable even when the wind is really strong. However, I would like to try a medium poweful sail (at least, more power than the S1) I have tried the naish boxer and I liked it much. ¿Could you recomend another medium power sail?

Thank you all!!!
Wink

I think I have a rather broad impression of sails, the S1 in tests I have read said exactly what you report, poor in top end to overpowered.

I don't know what your impression of MEDIUM power wave sail is.

Most have a power wave , as said. Since you like the 4 batten Boxer, I might suggest Ezzy Elite, Hot Sails Maui QU4D, both these tick a lot of boxes for me.

EURO possibilities also would include GOYA, SIMMER, maybe North

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aerotech Charge. designed by a florida wave sailor, inputs by power junkies like me. test after test, gotten good reviews, esp for low end torque. just sailed my 4.0 and 4.7 on wednesday during a gale. sure wish we had more days like that.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
alaravan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
We generally pick our power each session by the size of the sail, not the brand. We can change sizes in minutes, but changing brands takes days.

I agree with you, that makes me doubt about my idea of change my S1 quiver sails....

On the other hand, I know maybe It's dificult to understand my idea of "medium-powerful wave sail" (I've invented that concept..) It depends of course about the feeling each sailor.... In my case, for example, I've tried this sails:
Severne Blade: Medium powerful (I had one in 5m2, but I didn't like it much. I had the feeling that the power was focused in the front-down part of the sail)
Naish Boxer: Medium power. I liked It
NP Atlas: Very powerful.. I don't like it, especially in surf conditions!!
Ezzy: I haven't tried this sails, but I like them. My doubt is how powerful they are. Sailboards Tarifa sell Ezzy sails, so maybe I pick up one to test it!!

Thanks you all

PD: I also have to think in what mast the sail needs.. Otherwise I have to change my masts too...

Last edited by alaravan on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaravan wrote:
I had the feeling that the power was focused in the front-down part of the sail

That's the holy grail for just about anything but maximum air (and maybe formula racing ???).
alaravan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
alaravan wrote:

That's the holy grail for just about anything but maximum air (and maybe formula racing ???).

I'm sorry but I don't understand your answer, my english level is like my windsurfing level,jejj.. Laughing

What I mean is that I like feel the same power (more or less) in the both hands. Sailing with the blade, I felt little more power in the front hand
feuser

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commenting on what I know (KAsails): the S1 is more like the KA Killer which I use now; you seem to be looking for the classic Kaos which has tremendous stability and power.

Both these lines are significantly more draft stable than average because of their 5 batten layout and general design. They are designed for and by real-world sailors of average weight, not for 145 pound kids who wave sail using a 4.7 in 12 knots of wind and could probably use a three batten sail.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaravan wrote:
isobars wrote:
alaravan wrote:

I'm sorry but I don't understand your answer, my english level is like my windsurfing level,jejj.. Laughing

What I mean is that I like feel the same power (more or less) in the both hands. Sailing with the blade, I felt little more power in the front hand

We WANT the power low, forward, and perfectly balanced in our two hands. Every sail design and every harness line adjustment is aimed at achieving those objectives. You felt more power in your front hand on the Blade because your hands and/or harness lines were too far back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: