myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiters strike again. Kanaha access likely lost?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danothemano

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Kiters strike again. Kanaha access likely lost? Reply with quote

Mr Ed Underwood from DLNR-DOBOR just confirmed that they are moving forward and preparing to install three sets of buoys at Kanaha Beach. These buoys will designate the expanded zones that will exclude all vessels and watercraft. This includes; kites, canoes, windsurfers, surfers, SUP etc. The expanded zone includes about three thousand five hundred (3500) feet of shoreline that will become an exclusive swim zone. This represents an huge increase over the currently used areas. Now any vessel or craft that attempts to enter or cross these expanded zones will be subject to increased enforcement which includes; fines and possible confiscation of equipment.

"Mr Underwood also confirmed that this enforcement action is in direct response to the confrontations between the kiteboarder and the swimmers at Ka'a point."

He also stated that there are currently no plans to update or amend the old rules, that are about to be enforced.
The DLNR-DOBOR confirmed that they have already built the marker buoys and anchor systems, and plan to install them very soon.
We anticipate that once these buoys are installed and the old zones are enforced, that it will become an extremely difficult task trying to reverse this process at a later time. Embarassed
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been attributed to one very rude kiter who was in a designated swimming area. A familly with children swimming told him to get out, so this idiot started shouting obscenities and ignored their request.

This does seem to be taking things to the extreme, It will not last long!
flaherty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ka'a point is right at Kite Beach, pretty far downwind of Kanaha. But with 3,500 feet of beach closer ,this would probably include lowers and upper kanaha. This would destroy windsurfing, as we know it on Maui. There aren't many other places. Sprecks, a terrible dirt road,limitedparking,no bathroom .
Hookipa, small launch, and beach. I couldn't see these places holding all the people from Kanaha. This is really bad for windsurfing there. But there are two sides to every story. One weekend day i went to Kanaha, and the locals were having some sort of Holiday, just packed ,no parking, so couldn't windsurf. Hmm..I'm thinking this is how the locals must feel , when they want to goto kanaha, and it's wall to wall windsufers, and they can't even find a parking place! This measure is taking it a bit too far,though.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many people fly from how many continents each year just to WS at Kanaha? Multiply that by a week or three of lodging, food, gas, rental car, etc. and ask the Maui Chamber of Commerce if they're willing to cast much money aside.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could not agree more isobars. Kanaha can handle a huge crowd. There will be a very big protests from many businesses that depend on kiters, windsurfers, canoe, surfrers, sup, etc.for their livelyhood. This will have a huge negative impact on the local economy. Money speaks.

No reason why we can't all coexist in harmony. What is needed are a few park police to permanently evict such fools as the one who caused this whole debacle.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
Could not agree more isobars. Kanaha can handle a huge crowd. There will be a very big protests from many businesses that depend on kiters, windsurfers, canoe, surfrers, sup, etc.for their livelyhood. This will have a huge negative impact on the local economy. Money speaks.

Reminds me of a precedent. Utah was well on its way in Feb 1983 to voting to abolish daylight savings time. From my bed (broken back), I called every big or chain business, club, agency, etc. I could think of that depended on weekday outdoor recreation for its livelihood and asked them what the loss of an hour of evening daylight would do to their business. I phoned golf and tennis courses, the bass federation, ORV dealers and clubs, fishing and hunting clubs and stores, team sports groups and companies, and much more. I also phoned in to local talk radio programs during the evening rush hours, encouraging everyone to call their legislators.

Still bed-ridden, I phoned the state legislature the week the bill was voted on. The person who answered the phone said the state had never received this many phone calls against any issue in state history, not even abortion IIRC. This oft-proposed bill was so soundly defeated that she thought it would lay dormant for a LONG time now.

Pick up the phone, folks. Or try one of them Twitter things if so inclined and if you can cram your objection into a tweet. But there's nothing like a persuasive, two-way, verbal dialogue to get your message across.

BTW ... the congresswoman who kept proposing abolishing DST said the reason was that cows give less milk on DST.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
No reason why we can't all coexist in harmony. What is needed are a few park police to permanently evict such fools as the one who caused this whole debacle.

If the police aren't right there AND cooperative, there's no reason people have to let one haole ahole destroy their access. As we've discussed regarding bad behavior in other locations in prior threads, there are many solutions to it.
Brian_S

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that as the number of kiters increases this has been a growing problem. Last year in July, the kiters were coming way upwind - virtually throughout the whole park. Not all, but a few.
Hope they can work something out.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

If you care about this...

Sign the petition
http://www.change.org/petitions/state-dobor-hawaii-please-protect-ocean-access-at-kanaha-beach-change-the-outdated-rules-to-reflect-the-current-use

And if you visit Kanaha you may want to additionally email one of the Maui legislators listed in the post below--post lifted from the Soutwest/Hawaii/Mexico forum
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=224463#224463

sasussman wrote:
In addition to the petition, I recommend contacting our legislators directly. Those of us who live here on Maui should definitely write these representatives. Let them know you live here and you want these swim zones revised.

Those of you who don't live here, but who travel here, spending your good money here, should also write and let the legislators know that you could choose to go elsewhere and spend your money elsewhere.

You should all encourage changing swim zones to recognize that windsurfing and kitesurfing have become popular after these zones were established, and that Kanaha Beach Park has unique conditions that make it a world famous spot for these sports. You should encourage compromise, providing swim zones in some areas without impairing access. Please be polite.

Here are the email addresses of all of our Maui legislators. You can easily copy and paste this list:

senbaker@capitol.hawaii.gov; senenglish@capitol.hawaii.gov; senkeithagaran@capitol.hawaii.gov; repwoodson@capitol.hawaii.gov; repcarroll@capitol.hawaii.gov; reping@capitol.hawaii.gov; repmckelvey@capitol.hawaii.gov; repsouki@capitol.hawaii.gov; repyamashita@capitol.hawaii.gov

Also, please contact the governor too. I don't have his email address but here is his online contact page:

http://governor.hawaii.gov/forms/contact/

If this doesn't work I will have to delete my avatar.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a copy of my email. I decided to send to State Senator English, who is the Maui (District 7) senator.

Dear State Senator English,
kalani@kalanienglish.com

I'm sure you are aware of the recent tensions at Kanaha Beach Park, involving a very rude kitesurfer entering a swimming area. I am utterly disgusted with this kitesurfer's behavior, and acts such as this should not be tolerated. That said, I am dismayed by the looming outcome that this event has set in motion. As I understand it, a decades old, non-enforced for 25 years, swim zone rule is about to be suddenly imposed at Kanaha.

I am a regular visitor to Maui, coming from Massachusetts since 1986, for the express purpose of enjoying the excellent windsurfing conditions that Kanaha Beach provides. In the U.S. it really is "one of a kind" for windsurfing. I am writing you in the hope that you will consider the needs of ALL park users, and intervene to stop the proposed enforcement of the outdated swim zone rules. I believe a constructive discourse should be undertaken, involving the various groups of park users and the DOBOR and local government officials, before a hasty and counterproductive policy is set in place.

BACKGROUND:

- The old swim zone rules for Kanaha, drafted in the 1980's, designate 3,000 feet of shoreline as "swim zone only", which, if enforced, would prohibit all other recreational users (surfers, standup paddlers, windsurfers, kitesurfers, kyakers, and the like) from accessing the water.

- In the 1980's when the swim zone rules were drafted for Kanaha, windsurfing was a relatively new sport. I think whoever drew up those rules did not realize what a precious windsurfing venue Kanaha was becoming. And the fact that these rules were never enforced allowed Kanaha to continue to evolve into the world class windsurfing destination that it is today. Of course, the other prime windsurfing location on Maui is Ho'okipa. But for us "mere mortal" windsurfers, where the conditions at Ho'okipa are too severe, Kanaha is really the only option. Thousands and thousands of windsurfers have enjoyed this beach, in harmony with swimmers and other recreational users, for decades. The majority of us are conscientious, and we generally self police with people who are unsafe or rude. This system has worked exceptionally well for a very long time. It is a shame that the kitesurfing incident occurred, but I believe the kiting community is just as disgusted with the offending kitesurfer's behavior as we all are.

- I have never seen the 3,000 foot swim zone marked or enforced in the 27 years that I've been visiting. There is in fact a roped/buoyed off swimming area there now of approximately 500 feet that seems perfectly adequate. The buoy rope was originally installed by a Maui windsurfing school in the 1980's. Generally I see about 1 - 6 people in the swim area at any one time. By contrast, on windy days there are between 100 - 200 windsurfers who use this beach, launching from either downwind or upwind of this swimming area.

IN SUMMARY

I implore you to help gather the various factions together to have a productive discussion. I think you will find the vast majority of windsurfers, kitesurfers, standup paddlers, and other recreational water users are well meaning and thoughtful people. It would be a great tragedy indeed if the proposed unfair swim zone ruling were to be suddenly enforced, due to the unfortunate escalation of emotions that have occurred surrounding the kitesurfer incident. I think the present swim area arrangement has been working well. Perhaps there is room for improvement (such as clear signage maybe, so everyone knows the rules), but certainly a shutdown of access to all but swimmers is not warranted. A review of how this beach is currently used by the public would surely indicate there is no need for 3.000 feet of swimming only area! To enforce this rule would be a severe overreaction to an isolated incident. Should the proposed enforcement happen, I would undoubtably be forced to look elsewhere for my vacations, as would countless other visiting windsurfers. Also, this would severely hurt many local water-sport businesses and the local tourism industry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: