myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kovalski Straps for Wavesailing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sav1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and order a few. I'll report back as well.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

echo coach g's comments.

check out dakine core contour straps. also, the stock Exocet straps are sort of similar. What these 3 straps (dakine contour, kovalski, exocet) have in common is that they are not adjustable once attached to board. so, they don't have all that velcro, not hard to make stuff lighter by leaving material out.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sav1 wrote:
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and order a few. I'll report back as well.

I have personally never tried them on water but when Juerg showed me them in person, damn did they feel light and comfortable. Definitely softer than my old Dakine Slims which killed my feet lol. I think you will be pleased with them!

-Kevin

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
They appear to be very similar to the Dakine Contours I've been using for about 4 years now.

Coachg

Da Kine have :

Unique front and back strap designs
Front Straps: Forward angle fits the shape of the foot
Back Strap: Tapered Outline works like an offset strap on both tacks
Single and double insert compatibility
Includes Twist Control System

Kovalski have # 4 and 5 only, 3 maybe some

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comments on the specific feel since I've not tried them, but the EVA foam strap goes back 30 years in our sport. Again, unsprung weight is usually the bane of windsurfing. it might not seem like much, but a cushy set of straps usually absorb a lot of water. I did the measurement years ago and recall several pounds of difference.

Many of us pay a few hundred dollars more for a few pounds (plus increased stiffness).

My issue with the foam straps is that the core usually is some sort of stiff plastic. Over time, the foam compresses and puts the top of my foot in contact with the plastic. That's not comfortable.

Dakine Contour or the ubiquitous race strap tend to be my favorite.

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan

getting into weight discussions seems to attract me like a _____ insert favorite phrase.

I did my own test a few years back and kept the results.

Participant was a front Da Kine Adjustable CORE contour, (not made anymore , I think) the rear was specialized from the fronts, anyway they have a lot of foam and were available for a little water torture.

DA dry... 5.9oz 167 grams
wet... 8.1oz 229grams soaked in a bucket submerged for don't remember how long.

difference of 2.2oz or 62grams

for FOUR straps: 8.8 oz or 248grams
THREE 6.6 oz or 186grams

the percentage of water absorption in newer straps with less fattier foam would be even less .

this test on the page with the weights of every fin box I have had the occasion to weight.

not yet done a harness to see if without it or clothing may make a significant difference

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitevan01 wrote:
they are not adjustable once attached to board

which makes them useless to us flatfooted folks with no arches.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
whitevan01 wrote:
they are not adjustable once attached to board

which makes them useless to us flatfooted folks with no arches.

ummm

I wear orthotics so I sincerely relate with your foot issues.

Since the straps are useless in that they only adjust by the bolt pattern, which takes what 2 minutes, and would probably be done only going from booties to without booties, I can again relate to the PITA that it must be to move them for adjustment.

What I am having a prob with is how any strap ADJUSTMENT would help in any manner with a flat foot, since all the adjustments are either length and curvature of the upper strap, neither of which IMO effect the flat foot, which is of course on the BOTTOM of the foot.

Iam always open to new and exciting concepts , maybe post a photo of the miracle straps or detail how this is possible ..?

swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always amazed by the imagination of some folks when it comes to the water absorption of footstraps. Just to bring things back to earth a bit, water weighs 8 pounds per gallon. I'd love to see anyone squeeze out a quart of water from even 4 wet footstraps.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
I wear orthotics so I sincerely relate with your foot issues.

Since the straps are useless in that they only adjust by the bolt pattern, which takes what 2 minutes, and would probably be done only going from booties to without booties,

What I am having a prob with is how any strap ADJUSTMENT would help in any manner with a flat foot, since all the adjustments are either length and curvature of the upper strap, neither of which IMO effect the flat foot, which is of course on the BOTTOM of the foot.

Both the tops and the bottoms of feet -- or one or the other or neither -- have arches to some degree. I'm a neither, and I can't be that unique even though I have to shorten the shoelaces by up to a foot on most shoes. We "neithers" have little or even no hump or "stop" on the tops of our feet, so our front footstrap adjustment is critical. Mere millimeters in length make the difference between toes vs the whole foot entering the strap. We may have to adjust front strap length several times ion one session, on the water, to get it right ... then occasionally have to start over if our feet shrink or swell a bit.

BTW ... if your orthotics are for overpronation, recent large studies show that orthotics and buying shoes according to foot "type" -- flat, normal, highly arched, overpronated, etc. -- actually increase injury rates. Medical advice now is to just buy cheap neutral shoes. Unless you're very happy and injury-free with your orthotics and with their cost, you might want to see this article at
http://www.runblogger.com/2012/09/why-term-overpronation-should-be.html
and pursue that research further. (My wet footrpint is more or less a rectangle and my feet "overpronate" quite obviously, but my feet have always been trouble-free despite many doctors telling me I need orthotics or motion-control shoes. )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: