myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Worst Experience While Learning
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sav1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Worst Experience While Learning Reply with quote

What do you regret doing when you were a novice because you just didn't know any better?

One of my friends blew out his back because he was taught to uphaul with his legs straight!

For me it was sailing right onto the beach the first time I got plaining because I didn't want the sensation to end!
rgomez

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Not reading the choppy water conditions near the jetty and getting dragged through it as I was unable to uphaul.

2. Uphaul line opening the boom clamp mid sea and then swimming back for 40mins dragging the rig.
jpellegrino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiping out with sail landing on top of me while hooked in. Kept pushing up against sail with my head to get air, finally unhooked, grabbed boom, slid out. Longest 10 seconds I've had in awhile.
mrchocky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitting my head with the mast. Had a headache for a year after.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jpellegrino"]Wiping out with sail landing on top of me while hooked in. Kept pushing up against sail with my head to get air, finally unhooked, grabbed boom, slid out. Longest 10 seconds I've had in awhile.[

AND::
mrchocky:: wrote

Hitting my head with the mast. Had a headache for a year after.

/quote]

now wear a helmet . I lost a brand new sail cause of getting hit

scarey with the sail, has happened to me, worst was probably the sail was partly over me, stuck in the harness and in one footstrap, it twisted tight.

Using a roller instead of a hook on your harness helps the stuck, and wider /bigger straps as well.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
thombiz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst thing I would do when I was first learning was to push the gear far away from me when I was in the process of falling. I remember one time in a 25 mph blow, I shoved the gear hard away from me, and when I surfaced and looked for the gear, it was about 8 yards away from me and moving downwind quickly so I started to swim after it. I quickly realized it was moving at the same speed I was swimming, so I swam harder. Maybe 50 yards later, I finally caught it. I was completely exhausted. I hung onto the gear for about half an hour while I regained my strength, then water started and worked my way back upwind to my launch site. From then on, I always hung onto the boom or mast when I would fall.
vikingsail

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying my first equipment that was advertised in a local paper. It was a horrible narrow transistion board, aluminum mast, tie on boom, and a baggy sail that that had a 3 knot planing range before slamming me into the water. Luckly I got rid of the board and got newer sails within a couple of years.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many choices...My first board was a used Mistral Equipe (original model) purchased from a friend, complete with original 6.6 sail and rig. To his credit, he took me to a shop in Berkeley where we found a fairly used but relatively modern (for 1993) 5.0 sail. One day I decided what the hell, I'll try that 6.6. Did a pretty easy uphaul off the dock, got out into the lake and fell. Went to uphaul that thing and I swear it had sucked up a gallon (8 pounds) of water. Made it to shore and never used it again. I don't think my back was ever quite the same.
dhmark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letting go of boom while falling, the boom head hit the tail of the board, denting the tail, breaking through the ASA. Lesson learned: Hold on to boom. A few sesssions later, then hit my own head with mast holding onto boom. Very scary overpowered sesssions in offshore winds at Candlestick, Coyote point when basically a beginner uphauling. dhmark
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Worst Experience While Learning Reply with quote

sav1 wrote:
What do you regret doing when you were a novice because you just didn't know any better?

Listening to my friends, who said "don't take lessons". Lessons were for rich people and sissies! Two worst habits I developed (with the help of same friends) were waterstarting with both feet on the board (as opposed to letting the front leg drag at first) and back foot first getting into the footstraps. After five years of windsurfing I nevertheless was fast and could do sloppy jibes. Then on a lark I took a two day clinic with the Imperato brothers, who said "you're fast, but you do EVERYTHING wrong. They straightened me out on a bunch of things, and I became an instruction junkie.

In the smash yourself up department, my very first day trying windsurfing I kept pulling the mast foot out of the board (I was uphauling on an original Windsurfer) and driving it into my shins. I was bloody when I finally got off the water, but I had managed a couple reaches of 5-6 feet, and was hooked!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: