myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Frozen stuck Vent Plug
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windswell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: 3 small drill bits later .... VOILA Reply with quote

RE earlier posts: The vent screw is brass or bronze. And I don't have a dremel thingy.
A. I Started drilling with 1/16 bit at 45% into one leg of the dinged phillips head, got a small hole started, then slowly go to vertical with the drill, then slowly to horizontal to start clearing a "slot". SNAP !! goes the drill bit.

B. New bit, start again at A. above , but even slower, lots of progress, moving to opposite leg of dinged phillips head, SNAP !! goes the drill bit 2.

C. Back to B above with drill bit #3, ooops SNAP !! goes the drill bit. but can now get horizontal enough to sorta dremel-push the broken bit against what is begining to look "slottish".

D. Insert medium size slot head screw driver and out comes the vent plug.

E. 10 minutes with a hack saw blade turning the mess into a respectablish slot. So I'm good to go.... and off to a good hardware store for a new O ring.
F. Having spent a half hour up close and personal with the vent screw, and looking at another vent screw from an old Kinetic Jimmy Lewis board, I'm now aware that there's either a vertical filed-off section of threads OR a hollow bronze vent screw with a tiny vent hole near the O ring. What's up with that???? Maybe vent excess internal air pressure????
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the update, and very pleased that you have been successful.

I thought your opinion on brass /bronze was wrong, looked at my box of new and olde screws, by golly the oldest is probably brass, but the screw head is covered with I think is chrome , its flaking off( not been in use since Moby Dick were a minnow)

The new ones I think are made of aluminum, the red anodized ones I use, very light weight.

dont know anything about the vent hole in the screw.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
superkraut

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 small drill bits later .... VOILA Reply with quote

windswell wrote:
Having spent a half hour up close and personal with the vent screw, and looking at another vent screw from an old Kinetic Jimmy Lewis board, I'm now aware that there's either a vertical filed-off section of threads OR a hollow bronze vent screw with a tiny vent hole near the O ring. What's up with that????

these devices are designed to reliably vent your board the instant pressure is off the O-ring
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: