myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New To GoPro Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: New To GoPro Questions Reply with quote

Just got a GoPro and wondering which accessories are the proper setup for windsurfing? I know I need the floaty back door , but was wondering if the Handlebar mount or the roll bar mount are applicable to boom or mast mounting the camera? What is the clew view setup? Is that a fabricated rig or is it sold as a package by someone? Given that the only stupid question is the one you're afraid to ask, any one with insight on mounting, user tips, do's and don'ts etc. would be greatly appreciated for anything they care to share, Thanks
skyking1231

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't necessarily 'need' the floaty back door. What you do want/need is to have the gopro tethered regardless of what clamp or mount you use.

I have seen someone at the beach using a manufactured clew mount. Pretty fancy....works really well...but like the owner/user said...."not really good for duck gybes Shocked "

I have seen homeade clew mounts using a piece of pvc or even an old boom, and clamped to the clew...and then a gopro mount for the camera. cheap...worked really well...can make it any length you want.

I plan on getting one soon myself....hopefully Santa brings me one...
joe_windsurfxxx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

search and you will find ...
this was my post:

http://joewindsurfer.blogspot.ca/2012/12/gopro-hero.html
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clew-view, made by Jerry Evans in Mass. He is a frequent contributor to this forum.

http://www.chathamwindandtime.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=135
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite mount is the Clew-View. It is made by Jerry Evans, a local Cape Cod sailor who has a machine shop with a nice CNC machine. I've been using it almost exclusively for a couple of years. I have used it for at least 50 sessions and never had any problems. Well worth the $95, especially if you are working on jibes or freestyle moves and want to see what you are doing.

Duck jibes are not a problem, as you can see in this video and in this cooler one by Jerry. You can find a lot more Clew-View videos on Jerry's or my Vimeo channels or on Youtube.

For keeping the lens free of drops while sailing, saliva works best. I use the same technique as when snorkeling (i.e. my fingers), but licking the lens and then rinsing also works.
sav1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the roll bar mount and it mounts well just in front of the clips....no bending or slipping while the camera is on. I haven't recorded any footage yet but there is vid on YouTube from this angle and it is very clean.
johnl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clew-View is awesome. It attaches real quick yet is fairly solid. Plus the POV is about as good as it gets for Windsurfing. You can also use the GoPro Handlebar mount. It will mount on the top of a skinny mast (cool at first, but not really that great) and on the boom (great for face pictures of yourself), but unless you have two mounts that only records on one tack. And of course helmet mounts for straight on viewing. But even though the Clew-View is pricy ($100??) it is the best view and mount for windsurfing IMHO.
McSurfin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For mast and boom mounting the Flymount is good - especially with the new gopro specific attacher http://www.flymount.com/
I've used and abused a few of these to breaking point... their customer service is absolutely amazing - had replacement sent out to me same day no questions asked Very Happy

Part of the fun is experimenting it putting it in various places trying to find new angles, so have fun!
skyking1231

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a mast mount (also can be mounted on onside of boom) out of pvc plumbing parts. I copied a similar design on the wed. And made a few modifications to it. It cost $6, and works really well. I have a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij6LwJ853Kg . Nothing fancy just some back and forth a few jibes. I wanted to see how it came out. The picture didn't wobble around that much as I though it would. Was taken with a hero3+ set on med wide angle 1080. Mounted about 6 inches from top of mast. THe mounte worked great...light weight...cheap...and quick to put on or take off.

I will try with diffrent positions...I think it would be neat to have the camera facing more out. I would be out of the frame...but give a bird's eye view of the area.

I forgot to mention i did change to a lower resolution when uploading to youtube.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you SEARCH this forum for GoPro threads? LOTS of information there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: