myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
6 tips how to avoid muscle cramps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boardtests

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: 6 tips how to avoid muscle cramps Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have been searching for information about how to avoid muscle cramps. After some research I wrote this "article".

6 tips how to avoid muscle cramps while windsurfing

Please contribute with your own knowledge if you feel to.

Best regards Claes
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great information and post.

One thing you are missing and possibly the most important - Conditioning!

I was an swimmer and also coached for over 30 years. Muscle cramps were always an issue during the first week or two of a season, but once muscles were in good shape, cramps were almost never an issue again, regardless of the diet.

The exception being over exertion where the depletion of the thing you have posted come into play (more of time factor rather than resistance).

I still do weights a couple of times a week as well as jogging and walking golf to keep in shape for windsurfing (80+ days a year). Once in "shape", cramps are rarely an issue, although I have come close in bed a few of times while stretching.
WutUpWitU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of things can cause or exacerbate muscle cramps. a full list would take way to long, the most common in no particular order are lack or magnesium, calcium, potassium, selenium, vitamin E, water, taking BP meds or diuretics, anything that restricts blood flow and decreases circulation and thinking that stretching will do any good if you have not warmed up first. and , of course, being out of shape and then trying to do to much, too fast for too long.
WutUpWitU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of things can cause or exacerbate muscle cramps. a full list would take way to long, the most common in no particular order are lack or magnesium, calcium, potassium, selenium, vitamin E, water, taking BP meds or diuretics, anything that restricts blood flow and decreases circulation and thinking that stretching will do any good if you have not warmed up first. and , of course, being out of shape and then trying to do to much, too fast for too long.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatorade was developed by the training staff at the U. of Florida specifically to counteract cramping amongst their football players during pre and post season practice. I used to suffer from calf cramps in cold water but when I started to drink Gatorade on a regular basis, I rarely had to fight off a cramp. Now I drink at least a gallon of it a day, summer or winter. Climbing and standing on ladders painting my house, I could easily experience cramping these days, but I don't.
cruzanboard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The previous post was brought to you by The Gatorade Company,
a fully owned subsidiary of PepsiCo Incorporated (PEP). Very Happy
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also see the thread at http://tinyurl.com/3rf9wkp titled "What REALLY causes exercise-induced muscle cramps"..

Mike \m/
rjbuiso

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Pub Med Reply with quote

Hi all. Go to the website PubMed once there type in windsurfing. This site is an exclent source for scientific journal articles, and there are quite a lot of articles about windsurfing on the site.

FYI PubMed is one of the best places to research scientific literature. you can use it in conjunction with the NCBI (National Center For Biological Information) webpage to find information on nearly anything your heart desires.
ashtonfinlay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is a nice article. However looking at the quality of the article, I hope you would write more articles about muscle building and would share them with us here.

http://www.muscleseek.com/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice post .

I don't agree with some of the posters suggestions, but will leave all that for them to sort out.

this is a hoot !! from the first link

Bonus tips from my mother in law

How to avoid muscle crams while windsurfingTo avoid muscle cramps you can place two crossed table knifes under your bed sheets…

If you have somebody near you with so called temperament swinging, Magnesium is the cure..; )

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: