myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Considering the RRD Freestyle Wave 116
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akrausz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Considering the RRD Freestyle Wave 116 Reply with quote

I have the challenging task of replacing my 2007 X-cite Ride 120 from my desk. It's a good board, but too rough for me at times in chop. I had an 116L F2 Ride and wish I never sold it. I'm 54, 205 lbs, been windsurfing 20+ years. I have a 149-liter board for 8.0 and bigger, and a couple wave boards for 6.0 and smaller. So my criteria is:

- Ideal for 7.0 freeride sail, but will also work for 6.0 & 8.0
- Good for south Florida ocean and flat water blasting back and forth
- Easy and fun to gybe
- Good for learning to ride small waves
- Inboard wave-like 3-strap option because i have size 15 feet
- Soft, passive, cushy ride cause I'm an old fart

This would be my main board that I would sail in 15-23 knots. The RRD Freestyle Wave 116's 70cm width I guess allows it to carry an 8.0, but I wonder if it will still ride smooth in 20 knots. It's hard to get an assessment of how much vee and double concaves it has. I'm leaning towards more is better for me.

Last edited by akrausz on Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:07 am; edited 4 times in total
norcom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weigh 180lbs and have the 2012 RRD FSW 108 and I really like it. It's very comfortable but that could be due to the RRD foot pads. They're EXTREMELY thick and soft. I was quite surprised the first time I got on it.

I don't think I've used it with anything bigger than a 7.0 but I feel it could handle an 8.0 easily. I've used the 8.5 on my JP FSW 112 and it's perfect as long as I move the base all the way forward. The RRD shorter and wider but thinner than the JP. I would say they're fairly similar in early planing. I've been using the JP way more since I fixed it up but only because I don't care about damaging it and go bigger on it. The RRD is brand new so I'm still pampering it.

I use it mostly in small waves here in north FL. It works a treat in thigh high stuff. Haven't taken it out in anything bigger.

No issues with jibes. The width makes them quite easy.

The one thing I did notice was that the RRD top speed isn't great. I recall a session where I'm blasting on flat water and I thought to myself "That's all this board has?". I'm not a speed sailor by any means and this could have been due to the sail size, wind and mostly me. But that was the first time I've ever said that to myself.

I don't think you'd be disappointed if you got one. Unless maybe you want top speed.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a chance, try out the Tabou 3S 116. It should be perfect for a 7.0, fine with the 6.0, and ok with a 8.0. The specs only say 7.8, but that's pretty close (I have used a 7.5 on my 3S 96 with a bigger fin - a bit of a stretch, but doable).

The 3S is also very comfortable due to the underwater shape and very thick footpads. It can go slow or fast, however you prefer. It may not feel as fast as other boards, but the only guys who pass me on mine are on freerace or slalom gear. GPS speeds confirm that it can be fast - when it gets choppy, I sometimes get better speeds on the 3S 96 than on a 90 l slalom board. The 116 is 66 cm wide. If you have plans for a trip to Hatteras next spring, check with Andy from Wind-NC about demoing the 3S.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cross 114 from exocet. fast, smooth, turns great, waves well.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a poster on here who could use this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_probability

to predict the probability of a board actually better than the RRD .

reading the OP, I find it impossible to answer the question.

What I have are options to the RRD

JP Tabou 3S and the Exocet Cross

Starboard Kode 113 Fanatic FSW 116

would be on my list.

top of the list would be :
Witchcraft Chakra 115

YMMV

horses for courses

Rolling Eyes Cool

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made pretty much the same change this past spring, replacing my 2004 X-Cite Ride 105 (256x63.5) with a 2010? Exocet Cross III 104 (245x63.) I'm 140# and used the JP with a 6.0. My main goal was gentler ride in chop.

On the plus side, the JP had the wonderful ability to break free from the water with a couple of easy bounces, making it a very early planer for its size. The flip side was that it would get big rather quickly when the wind (and chop) increased. I never did like the rather flat deck at the tail (this might have changed some in later models) as it made me bend my ankles uncomfortably. This might be a short-person, or just personal, thing. The only replacement I considered was the Exocet because those cushy heel pads are below the rounded rear deck, so I knew my ankles would be happy. (The RRD FSW, with its big cushy pads above deck, is probably the most popular board around here, so obviously this isn't a problem for everyone.) Anyway, the Exocet is ever so slightly more reluctant to plane than the JP, as expected, but the rest is all good. It is more comfortable at all times and I can stay out when the wind comes up without getting beaten up. It is more fun in the swell and, surprisingly, it is easier to tack or slog than the longer board, perhaps because the volume is more evenly distributed? Also, it is just about impossible to screw up a jibe entry on this board. I sailed it after nearly two years off the water, and my feet were all over the place during my first several jibes. The board just carved like it didn't care.

As I said, there are a lot of happy campers around here on the RRD, however I don't know anyone with one of the new wide ones. Also, I have heard nothing but good things about the JP All Ride, which looks quite similar to the Cross.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all ride was good in 2011 test. cross is 243 long. short and wide is great if one has no slogging to do. anything below 235 length is pretty strenuous. shoot, anything below 11'5 is too.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Brian_S

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything better than the RRD Freestyle Wave 115 for me? Reply with quote

akrausz wrote:
So my criteria is:

- Ideal for 7.0 freeride sail, but will also work for 6.0 & 8.0
- Good for south Florida ocean and flat water blasting back and forth
- Easy and fun to gybe
- Good for learning to ride small waves
- Inboard wave-like 3-strap option because i have size 15 feet
- Soft, passive, cushy ride cause I'm an old fart

wonder if it will still ride smooth in 20 knots.

I have the 105L and the 115L RRD FSW (circa 2009?). I'm the same weight. YMMV, but I don't particularly like this board. For the larger sails, I'd like my board to coast through lulls and this board does not do that. Also, you have to work it onto a plane, which is not what you'd expect from a big board. My friends with the 90L seem to love it, but I just can't really love this one.

That said, responding to your other criteria, it is a easy board to jibe, very turny and has the inboard strap options. I would also say it's a passive ride and fairly smooth. Personally, I hate those bulbous foot pads. The bump falls under my arch and is very uncomfortable - even more so for your size 15's. The exocet heel pads are way better.

Just my two cents.
Brian S
www.miwindsurfing.com
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything better than the RRD Freestyle Wave 115 for me? Reply with quote

akrausz wrote:
I'm 54 .... an old fart

I know, I know, I quoted you out of context, but:

no, you're not. You are just entering the prime of your life. I'm only 58, but know someone who windsurfs alot, and is good, and has alot of fun doing it, and is better shape than me, who is 72.
akrausz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have the 105L and the 115L RRD FSW (circa 2009?).

It seems the current model is a very different shape...shorter, wider and will plane quicker. But the pads don't look much different from pictures. I do like the extra padding under my heel, like on my Exo Wave 105.

In general, I'm thinking the RRD, Exocet and possibly the Tabou will have a gentler ride than the Starboard, JP, Naish and Fanatic, but I really only know enough to be dangerous. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: