myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Struck down in my prime
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do, you should do it pretty soon while you still can go to the doctor of your choice.
madmax7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Hip Reply with quote

Beagle buddy,

I got the same from Ortho surgeons, to put off! I waited till I could no longer walk and it was almost too late.

Research that web site I gave you and stick with some of the Docs that specialize in resurf! It might cost you a few thousands out of pocket, but buddy it's worth it.

Another interesting thing, the surgeons that don't know how to resurf talk trash bout it. It's like professional jealousy or greed. So beware

My hip gave out at 35, resurfed at 46, I'm turning 54 this month. I stay active and in gym regular, I no longer run, use machines, but the young guys still ask me to play Basketball w them and this time of year I usually do! Some resurf guys have kept running, though Doc will tell you why risk the impact!

If you need more info PM me, I'm in so Cal and my Doc is in LA

God luck, Max
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not exactly on topic, I just had shoulder surgery 4 1/2 weeks ago to repair a major tendon and to remove impinging bone spurs. The surgery also included what I interpreted to be re-surfacing of various areas around my shoulder. From the photos taken during the work, there was a lot of material that looked like frayed material or fabric coming off the surface of the bones that was removed and smoothed off. I'm still feeling a bit rough, and I'm wearing my arm in a sling for another week and a half, but I start rehab the first week of January. In preparation for that, I just started doing some exercises yesterday that will loosen things up and keep everything from freezing up.

From talking to a number of folks, a full recovery can take as long as 4-6 months, but I'm sure that everyone is different to some degree, particularly relative to the damage. If you're interested, I could let you know how things go over time. I also have to have the same surgery on my other shoulder, so I get to look forward for a repeat scene down the line. It's likely to be in fall of 2014. At 64, I'm already realizing that what you've done in life ultimately catches up to you. As an aside, wear that sun screen religiously, particularly in Kauai.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link Madmax, I have been reading it. Because my health insurance is Veterans Administration, resurfacing will be paid for out of pocket which would probably require going overseas to be affordable. Where did you have yours done? I'd like to see what Dr. Gross in South Carolina charges.
Swchandler, hip resurfacing is a misnomer it's actually a form of hip replacement for younger people who still have good bone integrity.
madmax7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Hip Reply with quote

Hi BB

I had mine 12/96. Did a bit of research and interviewed a couple of Docs and ended up wit Dr Amstutz in LA, considered to be one of the originators of procedure.

He took insurance but would not accept deductible so I had to pay him his full fee, also the deductible to hospital. So I think it cost be just shy of $5k

But I got to go home for recovery.

Once u go thru let's talk rehab, I'll give u some exercise tips (do lots of side leg raises to rebuild minor muscles on side of hip). But all good.

Good luck BB, there's a great life on the other side! Max
mark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BB,

I have had both hip resurfaced and my recovery path was very similar to madmax7. I started having hip pain in my early 30's and had several surgical evaluations. Postponed surgery because of the 15 year projected life span of the typical small metal ball / plastic socket hip implants. Was able to make to my mid 50's with exercise and living with the pain.

At 55 I had one hip resurfaced and the second one a year later. I am now 58 and my hips are completely pain free. Range of motion was back to where it was 20 years ago.

As madmax7 recommended the website surfacehippie.info contains a great deal of information both the good and the bad. While I believe it still was the best option for me and for quite a few people in their 40s and 50s the surgical community appears to be very divided regarding hip resurfacings.

Unfortunately it does not appear that all of the implants have the same rate of success. One of the manufacturers has a recall on their large diameter ball metal on metal implants. Fortunately I have the Birmingham Hip Resurfacing system by Smith & Nephew. They have been in use in Europe for over 20 years and have been approved in the US for about 5 years. Both their hip resurfacing and the hip replacement implants use large diameter metal balls similar in size to your natural ball.

Madmax7's comments about surgeons is also right on. Over the years I had 3 surgeons tell me that they wouldn't even consider doing hip resurfacings. I finally started researching the different devices and found a local surgeon that was using the Smith & Nephew implant. He was a very experienced surgeon and had performed several hundred hip resurfacings using this particular implant when I had mine done. Do your homework on your particular surgeon. Find out how many resurfacings he has done. Just like the implants all surgeons are not equal.

To me the recovery was quite amazing. I was walking on 2 crutches the second day after surgery. I could walk without crutches after a week but continued to use one for walking for 3 weeks at the advice of the surgeon for stability. Also could walk much farther with the one crutch. Short bike rides after 2 weeks, Windsurfing after 6 months. Could have windsurfed after 3 months but I planned both of my surgeries in the fall so I would have a few extra months of recovery. Range of motion continued to get better for the first year and is now back to where it was 20 years ago.

Please feel free to PM me if I can provide any additional information.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB, have you considered the obvious, legal, new wave, PROGRESSIVE, honorable, economical way to fund your new hip? Consult with experts at your own expense or through the VA, then if surgery is the call, buy an Obamacare Gold policy right before your surgery that will cover everything, then cancel the policy as soon as you're healed. That's how the system was designed, the Supreme Court declared it legal and constitutional if and only if not having insurance triggers a cheap tax and not a punitive fine, a whopping 20% of your fellow Americans approve of Ocare as is, and it's now as respectable as food stamps and legitimate tax loopholes, by decree.

Of course, you may find better doctors and followup care at the VA than under Obamacare, which is a truly sorry slap in the face to American health care.

BTW, I'm puzzled. Doesn't TriCare go hand in hand with VA access? Or can you trace any early medical evidence of impending hip failure back to your time on active duty?

Another solution: Get by on injections, PT, TLC, and Tylenol until you're old enough for Medicare, hope it is still solvent then, and try to find a good surgeon who will accept it.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was thinking about that Mike, a quick search online couldn't find anything about obamacare covering hip resurfacing but it is definitely an angle I will pursue.
I don't really know anything about Tricare I just have VA coverage from service 30 years ago, no disability rating. Nothing I can trace back that far, it's just worn out Sad
I'll be getting a shot soon but I was told it will only last 3 to 6 months and I can only have two shots.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules come and go, but when I got out, anyone qualified for VA benefits was also eligible for TriCare. TriCare becomes our first payer, with the VA taking up some of the slack if the claim is service related. You really ought to look into your TriCare eligibility.

Another factor: if you have full VA coverage (i.e., if you were retired early due to total medical disability), you don't have to buy Obamacare OR pay the tax for not buying it.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this is off-topic, but swchandler brought up the subject of skin cancer.

well, I started sailing (boats) when I was 8. Currently, 58 and have been a windsurfer for 6 or 7 years now. I am a bald person, and have had pre-cancerous spots removed from the top of my head, back, shoulders, even legs, once or twice a year since I was around 40. so, yes, sunscreen is important (didn't really use it until I was over 30).

anyway, I just had a skin cancer tumor removed from an area that has never, ever, never been subjected to the sun's radiation. (it wasn't a melanoma). so, you just never, know despite all the precautions that one takes, bad things can still happen.

they did what is called Mohs surgery, and they say they got it all. I sure hope so. stitches come out this monday, just in time to get back to work.

oh, and they wouldn't have found it if I hadn't insisted on having a bump on my skin excised. Doctor "oh, it's nothing." Me: "it bothers me and I really, really want it removed" Doctor "it's nothing, don't worry about it" Me: "please, remove it." Doctor "o k" Me: "thank you" two weeks later - Doctor "ummm, I'm really surprised about this, but the pathology report came back as a cancerous tumor in the skin. We will have to remove it right away. It's a good thing we caught this now." Me: (to myself - "you mean it's a good thing I made you remove it"). "Thank you - I knew something wasn't quite right about that bump".

so, moral of the story, be your own advocate. I personally believe that there is some kind of chemical pathway in the body that let's our brains now that there is something not right in different parts of the body. nothing specific, but just a general feeling that something is not right. listen to yourself!!

good luck with any medical problems anyone has that keeps them out of the water. I really mean that, it sucks to have these problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: