myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hifly Free 272 question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Hifly Free 272 question Reply with quote

How would you guys describe a Hifly Free 118 liter 272 X 64? It says carbontec and is bright red. Is this a fast one? More freeride or slalom? I think it's about a 2002 circa. How easy is it to sail and how would it compare to a new wider model in the 110-120 liter range like the RRD Fireride or magic ride stuff? Thanks for your help.
joe_windsurfxxx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

answered elsewhere = delete my entry

Last edited by joe_windsurfxxx on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

answered your ? on the Boards forum

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frederick,

I can't speak to the 118 specifically, but I have a HiFly move 105 from about the same year. The carbontec is bullet proof and light. The "Free" line of boards were geared to intermediate sailors and were user friendly. They typically did everything well, but were not designed for top speed. Same with my "move", great fun and my favorite board, but there are faster designs. However, a "faster design" isn't faster unless you are an expert sailor and are somewhat comfortable sailing "on the edge". An intermediate on an "expert" board may not do too well.

Many times, it's better to sacrifice some speed for comfort and control. The HiFly boards were not all that popular in the US (I think a history of beginner/intermediate type boards held them back in the US), but they were great boards.
paulf.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

comfortable, deceptively fast for a freeride, eats up chop, naturally longer jibe radius with longer waterline, the one i traded back then is still on the water regularly so pretty durable too.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by accident I found a 2008 test on the 118L , its tested among freeride and slalom boards, clearly defined as a FreeRide by Boards UK magazine.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the WSMag review from 2000, plus my comments in [brackets]:
Optimal sail range 5.0-7.5.
For the ADVANCED SAILOR, a big grin:
SPEED: In its size range, one of the fastest not counting the race boards. Flat rocker (can't help the ride in chop, which I'm guessing is pretty common in the Great Lakes], semi-parallel rails [helps tracking by reducing or eliminating twitch], clean release [for early planing and top speed, IIRC], light for its size [can reduce ride quality but doesn't affect planing or speed except maybe in the hands of expert riders].

JIBING: Near race board speed but with freeride handling. Prefers long, drawn-out, waterski/slalom turns instead of tight and slashy.

B&J: Can be hopped, and design accommodates flat, choppy, and open-water sailing [i.e., it's versatile].

RANGE: Almost any level sailor can improve their skills and have fun on it, whether learning to get in the straps, advancing, or ripping up local sites [another testimony to its versatility].

For the FREE-RIDE SAILOR, a modest smile:
Early planing, light feeling. Sandwich carbon construction lively but still stable rail to rail; it doesn't rail up at speed. Tail is powerful but pulled in aft to improve jibing.

For the NOVICE SHORTBOARDER, another big grin:
Wide, stable platform [by 2000 standards] with ample room for footwork, uphauling, tacking, or getting onto a plane. Several footstrap options; carbon construction may feel too stiff for novices.

VERSATILITY ... big grin:
Stable, controllable in several conditions. Less experienced sailors can learn to use the straps in flat water [got any?], and more experienced sailors can cruise in windy, choppy, and/or ocean conditions.

COMMENTS: A carbon high-performance board and HiFly's light-to-moderate-air board. Excellent for free-ride sailors and for advanced sailors who want a light board but not a "monster" [by which I presume they mean a too-light, corky, bouncy board].

Sounds like a good board for you, presuming:
1. Your chop isn't excessive. Flat rockers, little vee, carbon construction, and heavy chop can be a harsh combination. And as some guys have very accurately noted, real world speed is more about skill and confidence than hull shape. Zirtaeb ... hell, maybe even I ... can probably go faster on a good wave board than most intermediates do on a freeride board on rough water.
2. You are willing to sacrifice some ride comfort for higher speed potential [see # 1].
3. It's cheap. $100 ought to be a fair price. Any board is a gamble if not test ridden first. Would you rather gamble $100 or $1,500?
4. #3 matters. No price is too much for the ideal board; maybe this qualifies. I would pay much more for most of the 1999-2006 boards I own than for any modern shortwide board I've ever ridden assuming I'm powered fairly consistently and have some swell to play on and chop to deal with.
5. You really want a fast hull design. Many novices and intermediates just think they want "fast" boards, only to be disappointed when they get passed by better sailors on smoother-riding and much more maneuverable wave boards slashing in six different directions in the process and when they lose 100 yards in each jibe compared to the tight-jibing wave board.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 2006 111 Hifly free. Fast and fun and really built well. Kind of wish I didn't sell it. If its in good shape and a fair price, you can not go wrong...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: