myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Freeway at Crissy/Presidio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Freeway at Crissy/Presidio Reply with quote

I am a bit confused about what is happening with the freeway in the Presidio. I thought the thing was done, and apparently managed to destroy a good section of the Park by bringing the freeway down to street level, but I just noticed that they are still building.

There are new pillars in the making, what looks like an additional set of lanes ... what is going to be the final look of the monster?
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...everything you wanted to know, and you dared to ask, will be answered here: http://www.presidioparkway.org
Very Happy
rigatoni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali: I am not sure if your observations are from ignorance but the previous Doyle Drive was a ugly monstrosity that was barely patched together and one good shake from falling down. It was also a death trap for cars with no permanent divider and literally cut off Crissy Field from the rest of the Presidio.

The new design (which is about 50-60% complete) will provide a seismically safe and fully divided highway. Two sets of tunnels will bury a good portion of the highway underground and will let you walk directly up to the main post from Crissy Field. I don't know about you but that sure sounds good in my book.

What you currently see is both directions of traffic crammed into the one of tunnels/viaducts with a movable barrier to shift lanes to help traffic flow. The project is taking a long time but should be done in a couple of years. Until then, be patient.

Last edited by rigatoni on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigatoni: that is all right and true, but from a traffic circulation point of view having lost Halleck St. spill-over connection to the Presidio for a few years (like a total of maybe 5?) really sucks.
They could have set up a temporary two-lanes overdrive (like those rail-road style iron pontoons); that would have cost pennies compared to the scale of this project.
But. hey, we are just "users"...
Wink
rigatoni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bip-bip: Losing the Halleck street connection was a bummer (my normal route to Crissy) but honestly, the re-route through the Marina has not been as bad as I thought. There are a couple of good shortcuts to avoid the backup at the Lombard Gate.
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bipbip wrote:
...everything you wanted to know, and you dared to ask, will be answered here: http://www.presidioparkway.org

Ah, thank you! As I mentioned I was a bit confused. 2016 is a long way to go but it will look much better than before with most of it underground. Looks great actually!

It is inconvenient to have lost the connection through Halleck street for a few years. I come from the Richmond district and it does not effect me too much ... but it does kind of messes up one of my favorite MTB night rides (talking of which: off I go with my Ibis Mojo and the full moon Very Happy )
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...ooops! Something is not right, though.
Shocked
Check the (sweet) way Halleck St. is supposed to look after completion, vs. the existing condition of the works.

The official site says: "Once these tunnels are completed, Halleck Street will be restored on top of them, along with an expansive recreational area and trail network."

But according to my memory (and Google Earth), the tunnel ends (or starts) in correspondence of the cemetery, not where Halleck Street is. Are they going to fill in all the orange area? That seems like a lot.

(The driving connection to the Presidio Main Post is important because it cuts off the traffic from folks returning from visiting the GGB, and it's located right where the Marina street light cue starts...).

Halleck st.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  493.08 KB
 Viewed:  12116 Time(s)

Halleck st.jpg

rigatoni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The are currently building a second set of tunnels that will cover the eastern half of the orange area in your diagram.
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigatoni wrote:
The are currently building a second set of tunnels that will cover the eastern half of the orange area in your diagram.
...oh. Embarassed
There you go... thanks government! Laughing
Sorry about the confusion.
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...just a better image, to prove ME wrong.
Very Happy
Looking good.

2512x1884.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  540.53 KB
 Viewed:  12028 Time(s)

2512x1884.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: