myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Finally got my waterstarts - Sharing the lessons learnt
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgomez

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Finally got my waterstarts - Sharing the lessons learnt Reply with quote

So I finally managed to successfully waterstart 3 times in the same day and would like to share how I did it so it helps others struggling with the same.

1. Make sure you have a good amount of wind at least 20knots and a flat water area to start of with..You can later perfect your technique and waterstart with lighter winds but for learning 20 knots and flat water makes it easier.

2. Do not swim backwards with the sail into the wind...this technique will only tire you and cause a lot of frustration, instead keep one hand on the the board for flotation and position the sail so that the mast is towards your side. This can be done by either lifting the the clew into the wind or by pushing the front of the board under the sail.

3. Slide the sail out of the water and into the wind keeping one hand on the back of the board. You can also rest the sail on your arm and catch your breath.

4. Now with the sail out of the water hold the boom in sailing position and hips facing the board get up on the board just like you would on a beachstart. Stay low and sheet out a bit when your up.

The most important tip is use the boards flotation at all times to position and clear the sail...This will make things a whole lot easier.

I used the techniques from Dashers ABC's of Waterstarting. So maybe you wanna look that up.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imagine there's a hook on the back of your heel. pull the tail of your board directly under your butt with your back foot, arms straight.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice, now you'll be able to have longer sessions and save your hands for the next ones!
benspikey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jem Hall's video beginner to winner.. great stuff.. He say try to bite the knee of the waterstarting leg.. Now don't really bite your knee but the idea is to get your body close to your knee hence getting your center of gravity closer to the board. Also kicking with the submerged leg will give you an extra push. In higher wind conditions you can extend your body further out to manage the power. Often when I fail to water start in low wind conditions I chant bite that knee.. Eventually you will be able to waterstart in very marginal conditions and dread uphauling the sail. Good luck!
rgomez

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I had with waterstarts were mainly the inability to get the rig out off the water....trying the swimming backwards technique tired me out.

With this technique I was able to save energy and clear the rig with ease...getting up on the board was easy from there anyone who can beach start consistantly in low winds should not have a problem.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You nailed with the words "Slide the sail out of the water". The sail isn't lifted up, it's slid out and into the wind. Swimming backwards can work, but it's often too slow to extract the submerged clew. Congratulations! And yes the Dasher video is excellent. I watch it with my wife periodically (she struggles with waterstarts) and I still find myself being reminded of little things 21 years after I learned to waterstart.

rgomez wrote:
The problem I had with waterstarts were mainly the inability to get the rig out off the water....trying the swimming backwards technique tired me out.

With this technique I was able to save energy and clear the rig with ease...getting up on the board was easy from there anyone who can beach start consistantly in low winds should not have a problem.

benspikey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.worldofwindsurfing.net/en/online-guide/come2surf/riding-skills/waterstart.html

First of all, you have to swim to the mast. Grab it and swim with it into the direction of the wind until the mast lies across to the wind. This way, the sail floats to the surface of the water.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't swim my mast (or board) anywhere for waterstarts. That's work. I just grab 'em and swing my legs and lower torso in a full horizontal circle near the surface until the mast is across the wind. A few circles and it's where I want it.
outcast

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's good that someone closest to the process has given the feedback....later we forget where we came from

Go Go Gomez

Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got my waterstarts - Sharing the lessons learnt Reply with quote

rgomez wrote:

4. Now with the sail out of the water hold the boom in sailing position and hips facing the board get up on the board just like you would on a beachstart. Stay low and sheet out a bit when your up.

...when your up. This took me a while to figure that one. I was trying to control my ascent with sheeting out but it doesn't work. If you do it, the pull direction changes from sideways to forward and you get more or less catapulted.

You have to sheet out when you are up enough (front foot on board) to resist the forward pull. In good wind, the ascent speed is easier to control with the front hand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: