myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Racism and America
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 455, 456, 457  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complaining about CA teacher firings or the lack thereof? Don't blame the union, blame Ronald Regan, the Republican majority legislature, and the local school boards.

http://www.cta.org/~/media/Documents/PDFs/Conferences/Issues%20Conference%202011/Understanding%20the%20Stull%20Act.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20140127T1429229609

The Stull Bill, AB 293, was passed by the California Legislature and signed by the governor on July 20, 1971. It became Article 5.5 of the Education Code. The intent was to “establish a uniform system of evaluation
and assessment of the performance of certificated personnel within each school district of the State.”

It is noteworthy that the Act applies to all certificated personnel. The act is a set of instructions that must be followed in evaluating teachers as well as administrators; the act includes the evaluation framework and due
process law. Most CTA locals have incorporated the evaluation procedures of the Stull Act into collective bargaining agreements. These agreements are generally much more elaborate than the law since locals can
bargain “procedures for evaluation.”

http://ballotpedia.org/California_State_Legislature

Both chambers of the California legislature have been dominated by the Democratic Party since 1959 except in 1969 to 1971 when the Republican Party held both chambers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governorship_of_Ronald_Reagan

Ronald Reagan was the governor of California for two terms, once in 1967 and again in 1971. He left office in 1975, declining to run for a third term.

The Legislature passed it, the Governor signed it and the local school boards implemented it. Yet the current system is entirely the fault of the evil empire of the union. The union negotiators must be Jedi's. (with a waive of the hand - "You will pass the law", "You will sign the law", You will allow the agreements to be more detailed than the law")

Just more unwarranted union bashing from the terminally uninformed.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone knows that private schools are better than public schools. Vouchers would equalize this, and give opportunities to inner city youth would could never attend a private school. With vouchers, more black and Hispanic youth would benefit from having a choice. (Something liberals think is about killing children)

Mac doesn't want equality. He wants big government to indoctrinate our children.

What happened to diversity?
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard, you can talk about improving the learning environment for disadvantaged kids, and I seriously doubt that any of us would have a problem with the goal. Yet, when you talk about giving money away to folks that want their kids to go to private schools, many of which would be religious schools, you reveal the real goal in a voucher program. You're just barking social conservative talking points, very selfish ones at that.

We, as a nation, are at a very important crossroad right now. Now, more than ever, a high caliber education becomes so important in the computer age, particularly with the affects of global manufacturing. We need to step up the quality of education for everyone, to include the millions of illegal immigrants that share our land. It's an investment we need to take seriously.

Lastly, I'll mention an important element that must be part of the mix. That would be discipline. During my education, discipline was used to maintain order and foster a learning environment. It's a tough thing to talk about, particularly since discipline means different things to different people. Yet, the education process won't work without it. Moreover, discipline needs to instilled in the home environment by parents.

Last edited by swchandler on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reinerehlers wrote:
They got to experience all those delights of public education when they entered the local high school. It was / is so enlighteningly nice, NOT!

My public school education from grades 1-12 was nothing like what we see today. NO one ever talked back to a teacher twice, I virtually never saw anyone fighting on school grounds, the handful of cheaters were disciplined harshly, no one swore in class, no one was late to class repeatedly, realistic dress codes were enforced, overt bullying was very rare, and class time was dedicated >99% to subject material. I do not recall even ONE teacher passively putting up with repeated aggressive or disruptive students.

I can think of several reasons, including:
1. This was 50-60 years ago, when most people knew how to behave.
2. It was in deep, rural, southern Alabama, where politeness was strongly engrained. I instinctively said "Sir" and "Ma'am" to anyone (besides my parents) several years older than I, regardless of their skin color or social "status".
3. I was appalled at the behavior I saw in public when I traveled "up north". "Yankees" were decades ahead of their time behaviorally, in a bad way.
4. My first 11 public school years were in a tiny town (3,500) where everyone knew everyone; we didn't need no steenkin' Twitter to get outed for bad behavior.
5. Political Correctness and the GDACLU didn't exist ... there ... yet, and when I screwed up my butt paid a price for it.
6. I presume there was no violence on TV (I think we got our first one when I was in high school, and it was Dinah Shore, not Sons of Anarchy).
7. AFAIK, political ideology played no overt part in my education. Until AGW and "fairness" replaced communism as the excuse for forced wealth redistribution, ideology had little impact on my classroom education, from social studies in high school to science in college.
8. None of that changed during my 6 years of full-time college (#6? I wouldn't know; had zero time for TV) and ensuing decade + of part time college work in four state universities. People simply weren't the pigs they so often are today.
9. Selective memory? I don't think so. Too many of my peers agree, and many of them are still rational and sentient.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are all making a very strong argument for a Waldorf education...which I strongly support. Vouchers, and money is not needed..Public charter schools can make this happen.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10. We didn't have RAP "music" back then. A "hoe" was used in the garden, "bitches" inferred behavior rather than just gender, and cops were respected rather than threatened. Classrooms reflected those factors.
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
10. We didn't have RAP "music" back then. A "hoe" was used in the garden, "bitches" inferred behavior rather than just gender, and cops were respected rather than threatened. Classrooms reflected those factors.
No disrespect in Whiteland!
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says a lot when some are adamant about a woman's "choice" to abort a fetus, but then would demonize responsible parents for their "choice" to provide a nurturing, healthy, safe and productive learning environment for their children.
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well spoken, Chandler.
There is a pastoral world where bitches refers to dogs and you don't lock your house. Several of my friends made sacrifices to raise their kids in this world.
Their towns are tiny, there is Internet but no TV at their houses.
Lots of books.they read to the kids.
The kids are pissed at their parents for moving them to Podunk when the parents have been all over the world.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
You guys are all making a very strong argument for a Waldorf education...which I strongly support. Vouchers, and money is not needed..Public charter schools can make this happen.

Boggs, both of my kids went/or are in public schools. My wife was in their classrooms until they were 12. (every day of the school week) This was the difference. Besides we were able to get the more conservative teachers for our kids. This has worked well. But for the rest of humanity, they are stuck in woefully mismanaged public schools.

Parents need to have a choice, in order to make the best decision for their children. Just wait until mini Boggs get a crumby teacher. You'll change your tune.....unless of course Mrs. B can be in the classroom too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 455, 456, 457  Next
Page 24 of 457

Jump to: