myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Finally got my waterstarts - Sharing the lessons learnt
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goodwind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwHRTJ4BwF8&feature=related
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing is the very experienced windsurfers always seem to fall with the board and rig oriented correctly and make waterstarting look so easy, rarely do you see them flailing around trying to swim things into position.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw bringdal fall in a race and stand up in the same motion.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
Funny thing is the very experienced windsurfers always seem to fall with the board and rig oriented correctly and make waterstarting look so easy ...

Or not. Experience and skill are not synonymous. Sad
A few crashes each day leave me and my gear in total disarray. The mast may be pointing straight down, I may be hooked in or 50 feet away, the board may be up the boom, *I* may be up the boom facing either way, I may have slid up the sail inside the boom and out the top of the chute, my helmet may be 30 feet away, one calf-high dry bootie may be still jammed into its footstrap while I swim around looking for it, everything but the back two feet of the board/ the very clew of the sail/my back foot can be underwater after a failed nose landing, and/or the rig and board can be in almost ANY orientation to one another and/or to me. Been there, done those; part of the game and a reason to celebrate being on water rather than dirt or rocks.

Maybe in my NEXT lifetime I'll figure out how to totally lose control yet land as desired most of the time, but for now I'll settle for avoiding injury to myself and my gear as I get my feet clear of the straps and my body clear of the boom, followed by finding my gear and calling a meeting between it and myself. THEN I get to flip and rotate my sail and my board into the proper waterstart starting position: board pointing across the wind one way, mast across the wind the opposite way, and clew downwind (I'm in no hurry because I have no big waves towering over me or toothed fishies beneath me). Getting there involves learning tricks to use the wind to orient the rig and sail with each other, then rotating the legs to orient both to the wind. Once in that orientation, everything else is mechanical. Those mechanics come quickly out of necessity when you're in chop big enough that uphauling is extremely difficult; until then it's easy to give up, hop on the board, uphaul, and drive away.
AndreiA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Perhaps flying the sail is important in waterstart... Reply with quote

I'm still learning water start... so this is no way an expert advise. But, the way how sail works, IMHO it should 'fly' the wind, not be 'pushed' by the wind. In other words, the mast should not be pointing into the wind. Maintaining a good angle between the mast and wind is tricky. Dasher says, if the clue is lifting up - the mast is too far into the wind.

If the sail positioned right, it 'flies' the wind, it behaves and pulls not much different than in normal sailing position. Close it by 20 degrees - and it will give you full thrust (in the beginning of water start, it is lifting you up). If the sail is 'pushed' by the wind, closing the sail won't add any pull.

Guy Cribb recommends approaching the board 'from the back', it also helped me to turn in the right direction, improve sail positioning, stop catapulting and occasionally I now can water start Smile

http://www.guycribb.com/userfiles/documents/Getting%20your%20Leg%20Over.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WNtVRryd9Jc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: