myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The google barge in San Francisco Bay
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:
Bard, I heard that's where they're storing all the ammunition being bought up by the dept of homeland security

You can be assured that DHS is monitoring your posts doggie. They've got plenty of banned ammo.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the response from BCDC, which would require a permit for the Google Barge if it were to stay in place:

Quote:
Dear:

Thank you for letting BCDC know of your thoughts about the Google barge
being constructed at Treasure Island.

A variety of senior BCDC staff members have met with Google's
representatives to learn about its plans. In so doing, we have learned
that the barge is still under construction, albeit in a hiatus, and likely
will not be completed until late Spring 2014. In addition, Google is
still exploring options for how to use the barge when it is completed.

The staff also has started an investigation into whether a BCDC permit is
required to construct the barge at Treasure Island. Our preliminary
investigation should be complete within a few weeks. At that time, we
shall discuss with Google whether or not the barge can be constructed
there or will have to be completed at a different location.

Should Google decide that its plans include using the barge in the Bay,
BCDC will ensure that Google complies with all of BCDC's applicable laws
and policies that protect the Bay as a precious State resource.

Thank you again for contacting us.
Riptide

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/State-orders-Google-to-move-mysterious-barge-5201337.php#photo-5820296

MAC and the rest of BCDC

Thank You !

State regulators ordered Google to move its mysterious high-tech barge out of its Treasure Island hangar Monday on grounds that the four-story bayside techie haven lacks necessary permits.

The San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission issued the directive Monday after numerous complaints about construction on the island, commission executive director Larry Goldzband told the Associated Press.

Goldzband said the commission found that the Treasure Island Development Authority and city of San Francisco had not applied for construction permits at the site. The barge must be moved to a permitted construction facility in San Francisco Bay if construction is to continue, he said.

Google's response to the order did not shed much light on the internet giant's plans.

"We just received the letter from the San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission and we are reviewing it," a Google spokesperson wrote in an e-mail.

The secret floating barge, made out of 80 stacked shipping containers, provoked conniptions around the Bay Area after the building project was revealed. The barge builder, Turner Construction Co., told the Chronicle that Google was building three vessels at a cost of $35 million that would eventually be docked in San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York.

Google has been vague about its plans, prompting speculation from contractors and others that the company was building a floating computer eyewear store, a data storage center or was planning to use the barge as a party boat.

Preliminary plans submitted to the port of San Francisco showed plans for a "studio" and "temporary technology exhibit space." Google officials said that although things may change, the plan now is for the barge to be "an interactive space where people can learn about new technology."

Whatever the plan, Goldzband said, Google did not have authorization to moor or build the barge at the site. He said the Treasure Island Development Authority, which allowed the project, could face fines and enforcement proceedings.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Google has to do is to grease the skids with some more payola and then they'll be able to stay longer, sounds like they got behind on their payola, oops, I mean rent.
Google is a cash cow, and the state knows that, lets just see how long it takes for them to move.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another uninformed and paranoid rant from NW. As the saying goes, you can be part of the solution, or part of the problem. But, as Bonnie Raitt said, "you gotta know how!"
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell you what NW....I will buy you a brand new Goya Custom Quad when Google moves its HQ OUT of California? If they stay , indefinately, you buy me one Coors Light...deal?
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Another uninformed and paranoid rant from NW. As the saying goes, you can be part of the solution, or part of the problem. But, as Bonnie Raitt said, "you gotta know how!"

"Paranoid rant"?
I don't give a crap about that barge whether it stays or goes.

But I'm beginning to believe you have some sort obsession with whatever I post.
Like I've said to you before, give it a rest.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
mac wrote:

"Paranoid rant"?
I don't give a crap about that barge whether it stays or goes.

But I'm beginning to believe you have some sort obsession with whatever I post.

NW...you made an ill advised political comment about Google moving out of the state because of the massive tax load...wanna bet?
mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a narcissistic twist from a paranoid:

Quote:
you have some sort obsession with whatever I post.

You don't seem to realize, I ridicule every paranoid post that is devoid of factual content. Your comment is completely nuts.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boggsy--the comment from NW implies not that Google will move out of the state, but that Google will pay off some officials and thus be allowed to keep their barge in place. It is uninformed, deeply cynical, and utterly offensive.

Some have decried the lack of action from BCDC, others, the Bards and the NW's, would call it "thuggery." In fact, it is a reasoned response, in accordance with the law. Vessels can be anchored for a period of time without violating the law, and in matters involving enforcement, it is necessary to put together an administrative case--and accord those suspected of violations their due process rights.

To argue that all matters of public policy are simply a matter of who has been paid is so deeply cynical and ignorant that it is astonishing. It has often been my experience that those who are dishonest often project their dishonesty onto institutions, like government or corporations, or unions, without stopping to weigh the facts of the moment. They rationalize their dishonesty by believing that everyone, not just them, is dishonest. I cannot say how true this is in the instant case, or how strong a strain this is in conservatism. But I can say, from having helped put dishonest officials in jail, that dishonesty in public life is rare. It is an unhappy man who would attribute dishonesty to all that would try to work for the public good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: