myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What Color Helmet is Easiest to See?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What color sails are easiest for you to spot on the water? May work for your skid lid too. People probably have variations in how their eyes perceive color.

A few people have told me my yellow sails are green.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that ... or you think your green sails are yellow. Smile
Arrgh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:

A few people have told me my yellow sails are green.

Love your blue and green avatar, BTW.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hassle with the Worth helmets I forgot to mention is its foam liner; it soaks up and releases lots of water into your face. I covered up the foam piece above my eyes with duct tape. Works much better.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word for the wise. Avoid any helmet design incorporating foam that absorbs water.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general I agree, but I put up with the absorbent foam because it's the best fitting (i.e., most stable) helmet w/faceguard that I've found yet. I don't want to know what's growing in that confined wet volume.

HAH! It just occurred to me: replace that piece of foam with nonabsorbent foam. Am I smart ur whut?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Just a word for the wise. Avoid any helmet design incorporating foam that absorbs water.

also any that require the use of additional materials, like duct tape

no reason to increase weight

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow!! I would have thought that the range of visibility graph would have settled the color issue once and for all.

Anyway, here it is in words: the human visual system has adapted (over the course of evolution - yes, it happened, and is still happening) to being sensitive to wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation corresponding to the colors from red (long wavelength) to violet (short wavelength). Yellow-green (what many people call fluorescent as it appears very bright to us, even if it is not actually fluorescent) is smack in the middle of that range. So, if one thinks about it, it is not surprising that our visual system is most sensitive to this wavelength and we perceive it as being "brighter" than other colors. Red and violet appear somewhat dull to us as they are at the extremes of our visual range and our vision is less sensitive to these wavelengths.

As for helmets, why not just get a Gath? They are specifically made for watersports and use closed cell foam, so do not get heavy. In addition, they can be setup how the user wants. The model that I have has a couple of removable pieces of foam in the top of the helmet that open up vents for warmer weather. There are also removable ear pieces. In addition, one can get a little visor (to deflect masts, etc from hitting the forehead), or if one desires more protection, a full bubble tinted faceshield is available.
the faceshield turns the helmet into something similar to a full face motorcycle helmet. there is no need to get lacrosse helmets or try to use other helmets that are not intended for water sport use.

Also, if one is worried about not being seen by rescuers, get some
SOLAS tape and stick it on your helmet.

One last thing, if worried about the "dork" factor, would you rather be a dork, or dead? When I was young and first learning to ski, I would have been mortified to have been seen wearing a helmet. Helmets were not even used for slalom or GS at that point in history. However, at some point, ski areas and junior ski teams made it mandatory for kids to wear helmets while skiing. Those kids (including my nephews) have now grown up and they wouldn't consider not wearing a helmet for skiing. Most people now wear helmets skiing and it has become the cool setup for most skiers that I know of (google "Michael Schumacher" and then tell yourself that helmets are dorky). The same is true of cycling.

ok, now I feel better. Thanks for listening.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitevan01 wrote:
why not just get a Gath?.

I love everything about Gaths, including factors we haven't even covered. The ONLY reason I will never buy one is having to put two wet, ultimately scratched, water-spotted surfaces in my line of sight to protect my face. Gimme a real face guard and I'll be in a Gath in a heartbeat.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the topic since some like to bring up , What is the topic and WHAT is not the topic

is what color not which helmet

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: