myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where to windsurf around Sanibel Island??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAdmiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Where to windsurf around Sanibel Island?? Reply with quote

Hi, I live North of Tampa and sail at Fred Howard Park and Tiera Verte. Recently bought a small(Class b) rv and wanted to branch out and head south. Saw a video on u-tube about Sanibel mud flats and wanted any advice on sailing,parking,and overnight parking and camping!!! Any help would be appreciated. Mark
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sanibel Island Causeway towards the mainland end of it was a popular windsurfing and kiting area. I have windsurfed there. Warm shallow waters with plenty of room. One can head out from there to the main channels should they want to explore.
geohaye

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky dog, go down there and enjoy it! Fairly warm and nice breeze down there today.

The iWindsurf station located on the channel marker is highlighted in the screen shot below.

A good view of Sanibel on Global.iWindsurf.com:
http://global.iwindsurf.com/en-us/Search/ViewResults.aspx#26.473,-82.022,13,1

Sanibel.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  407.38 KB
 Viewed:  18517 Time(s)

Sanibel.png

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$6.00 toll to cross the bridge onto sanibel, and its causeway. ft myers beach, bonita springs, wiggins pass do not require access $$$$. gulf of mexico is far superior to the shallow, sand bar filled sanibel inlet areas, IMHO.

same amount of driving, come over to the cocoa beach area. paid access to flat water spots is nil. super easy surf/ocean spota include cape canaveral jetty park, paid access, cherie down, free, ft pierce south jetty park. the latter is by far the easiest launch into the ocean until one gets to either hugenaut near jax, or virginia key near miami.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For this weekend come to the Masters/Seniors Council Championships at the Island Style Classic at Sarasota Sailing Squardon, 1717 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota FL. They usually have Formula, Open, Hybrid & Kona classes. I'll be there racing in the Kona class.
http://mswindsurfing.com/

The formula races are usually out in the bay. The other classes usually race together in the area between the island and downtown Sarasota, launching from the public park on the right at the end of Ken Thompson Parkway near the grounds of the Sarasota Sailing Squadron.
lturkevich

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Trip Report Feb 2019 Reply with quote

Had a great 1-week stay in Sanibel. Roy Massey at Ace Performer was great, I was able to swap out a broken boom and get back on the water in one hour (this was on a Sunday where the store's normally closed).

Folks at Sanibel Inn were very nice, watersports manager Chris let me borrow a bike lock to lock up the board and rig to a fence post (through footstrap and boom) so I could just unlock and launch from their beach. Got in some cruising and freestyle sessions on the Causeway and a planing session on a 6.9 (super-flat on the North side of the first island after the toll booth).

(Oh yeah, loved the "gator stew" ice cream at Pinocchio's)

Nice break from the winter blues.

Sanibel Feb 2019 closeup(sm).png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.97 MB
 Viewed:  13335 Time(s)

Sanibel Feb 2019 closeup(sm).png

SeaDawg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear Roy is still doing his Ace Performer I've bought a bunch of stuff from him over the years. I just came back from 6 wks in Plam Harbor had some good sessions at Howard PK. Lots of days at 10knts or less but a brought a long board down and it was good to be out on the water no matter.

Home in New England and traded the board rack for the ski rack H2O can be fun in both liquid and frozen........states.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: