myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How about eye protection?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: How about eye protection? Reply with quote

What options are out there other than sunglasses? They are great until the first dunk. Then having 2 sides wet makes seeing a real pain. Thinking maybe some form of goggle so only 1 side is wet? Most people I know including myself go out with nothing but this can't be good for eyes with all the reflections.
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy cheap sunglasses and use this stuff:
http://store.motosolutions.com/clearvision/A.html
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything that is water tight can fog up, kind of a catch 22. I've been using Kurtis Surf Goggles for a couple of years. https://www.kurtisusa.com/
They are not water tight but they don't fog up, don't come off & are soft & flexible.

Coachg
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f23, I used to think the same thing as you, but you'd be surprised how well you can still see with drops on both sides of the lens. I use the Body Glove water specs, hard to find though, Big 5 carries them every so often.
This time of the year we sail straight into the sun, and the reflection makes it almost impossible to see w/o them, and forget about the kelp, you can't see it until you are pole vaulting over it, so the choice is clear.
Also sailing w/o glasses is just asking for pterygiums, aka surfer's eye.
My brother had them, had to be cut out, then lived with stitches on his eyeballs for about a week,,,,,,,,,,,, no thanks. He's good to go now though.
westender

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get up and going the water should fly off?? It doesn't seem to bother me.
justall

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely wear sunglasses to avoid squinting and for UV protection. Those Kurtis surf goggles mentioned above look good. Though, i have always used cheap sunglasses. I buy multiple pairs from Target or Walmart. I then attach a floatable eyeglass rope to them. Here is an example: http://www.amazon.com/Croakies-Floater-Eyewear-Retainer-adjustable/dp/B002FPCPMO/ref=sr_1_15?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1393471387&sr=1-15&keywords=croakies+floating

I'd say they generally stay on or stay around my head when I end up in the water. If they do fall off, I can usually grab them as they float and the floaty is brightly colored. A couple times the glasses have broken during a violent crash, so I grab the floaty and head to shore for one of my backup pairs. The water tends to blow off. Though salt spay can be quite annoying.

I've had others with snug fitting head straps and gaskets ... But I didn't like them.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In salt water, I don't wear glasses; they crust up too fast. In cold water, all 78 kinds of goggles, even smeared with 19 kinds of anti-fog crap, fog up on me. I've ripped many fogged-over goggles and sunglasses from beneath my helmet and thrown them as far as I could in cold Gorge conditions and ANY Oregon coast conditions.

But in fresh water above maybe 50 degrees, I wear prescription glasses. Ya get used to the water drops very quickly. Before I learned that water-shedding products ruin plastic lenses, I used Rain-Ex or GE silicones; they helped short term. I'm anxious to try the product capetonian recommended above, as it claims to be nice to plastic lenses.

If I didn't wear prescription variable-tint glasses, I'd wear cheap (as in disposable) sunglasses for several reasons including rain-hail protection, cataract prevention, sunburned retina prevention, and even bugs. The one thing I can not wear for WSing is Polarized glasses; I want to see and sail the surface, not the bottom or the fish.
spennie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of fun haunting gas-station convenience stores for cheap sunglasses, the gnarlier the better! Had a killer pair of "Elvis" shades once, they came off & disappeared when my face smacked the water at 25 mph.

I personally can't stand polarized glasses when sailing (great on shore), the motion seems to do something & makes it seem like a mild LSD trip. I also have trouble with spotting in salt water, might have to try the above-mentioned product. Fresh water no problem.

EDIT: Just went to the site & bought some "Rain Coat", $15. + shipping.

isobars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
I personally can't stand polarized glasses when sailing (great on shore), the motion seems to do something & makes it seem like a mild LSD trip.

Well put. My head just reels when trying to sail w/Polarized lens on any bumps more than ankle high. I've asked MANY people about that, and you and I are in a small but adamant minority.
joe_windsurfxxx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"mild LSD trip" ??
i did NOT know that existed
most of the acid heads i knew back in the day were way gone, man

where we sail winds are usually westerlies and we usually go out in the afternoon to late afternoon....
as such we are rarely sailing directly into the sun
i hate sunglasses and so use a cap and old prescription glasses attached to my mug with a fisherman's bopper
everyone thinks i am a fisherman - when off the water Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: