myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Northwave 511 sail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Northwave 511 sail Reply with quote

Hi. Does this Northwave 511 slalom sail have a camber inducer? Or is it just more like the Sailworks Hucker? How is that 6.2m 511 for wimpy coastal conditions? Thanks.

P.S. Anybody got one for sale in the Gorge?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Hucker doesn't come in 6.2 . they both have 6 battens in that general size.

From Northwave's guide it sounds a good option for your need, of course there are others.
I would lean towards a 5 batten wave type sail more so than the 511.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the 511's in a 4.7 size then ended up getting the balance of my northwaves in the ZX line. The 511's are really freeride speed/power oriented sails - no cambers. They have a very wide wind range with tuning - very similar to Sailworks Retro line of sails but the northwaves have solid RBS battens so you could take it into the surf although not specifically designed for it. They have 6+ battens and the lower one may drag on the wave face but I just rig mine a little higher when wave sailing with it. The power may be a little much for real DTL wave sailing but if you are trying to capture the lower end of the wind range with the 6.2 - this may be a good choice. For my 6.2 I bought the ZX and was really impressed with its wind range - very comparable to the 511 in range but a little more forgiving on the wave face and sail transitions.

Rob
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Northwave 511 sail Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
Hi. Does this Northwave 511 slalom sail have a camber inducer? Or is it just more like the Sailworks Hucker? How is that 6.2m 511 for wimpy coastal conditions? Thanks.

P.S. Anybody got one for sale in the Gorge?

Have you tried Northwave? They usually have quite a stock of used NWs.

No, it is NOT like the Hucker. Its COE is lower when normally tuned, just the opposite of a Hucker tuned for jumping. The 511 emphasizes pulling power in wimpy conditions, then piles it on with stability and speed at the other, hammered, end. As advertised, it's a great slalom sail. HOWEVER, I rejected my 5.7 and 6.2 511's because it is not maneuver-oriented, so if playing hard in swell or waves at the coast, I'd MUCH prefer any of NW's other sails. I don't recall whether my 511s had cams, but they FELT like they did, and I don't like that feel -- or catching the sail's foot on a wave -- when trying to crank out quick max-g transitions.

OTOH, if the bigger challenge is planing, with quick transitions secondary, the 511 may be your best shot. Having sailed both Huckers and 511's years ago, I liked the 511's power in marginal winds a bit better and liked its low COE MUCH better than that of a jump-tuned Hucker. The latter is pitchy, as intended, for hang time and altitude, and thus gives you a workout, whereas the former is a stump-puller, in the best sense of the term, that does all the work for you.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Northwave 6.2m Reply with quote

I like to try the open market. Anybody got a 6.2 Northwave for sale? Sounds like the 511 would work for me.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your PM inbox
for details

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Northwave 6.2m Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
I like to try the open market. Anybody got a 6.2 Northwave for sale? Sounds like the 511 would work for me.

Get back to me next fall, if you can wait that long. I just bought a lightly used 7.0 511 from Northwave (thanks for motivating me to act now) to use with a big board during knee rehab, and plan to sell it when my knee is ready for footstraps and B&J this Fall.
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful on the NW 511. It has a very low foot. So if you are in swell or waves, it isn't uncommon for it to drag in the water on some jibes and stuff. If you are just flatwater blasting, then it isn't a problem. Also you REALLY want a loose leach on it otherwise it overpowers too easy.

As to comparing it to the Hucker, that is interesting. I bought two Huckers last summer and LOVE them. (4.7 and 4.2). I'm not a big jumper, but totally enjoyed just sailing with them. BUT they will be powered up. I got them for when I just want to blast and jump and not play with tricks (they work real good with a Realwinds board!)

I've been sailing Northwave sails for over 10 years now and the Huckers were the first non Northwave sails I have owned in a long time.

Oh yeah, no cambers in them, they are just shaped REALLY nice.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: