myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
TI - read this
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly there is work left to be done to make the Bay cleaner and healthier for fish. And in some cases--mercury and lead--we are dealing with legacies of practices that were unregulated for decades. But perhaps it is not as bad as you think. I base that visually on seeing elephant seals and Stellar sea lions while windsurfing at the gate, porpoises while kayaking in San Pablo Bay, and that unmistakable smell of life and death when you come across a patch of water oiled with fish oil. You can get good quality information about the health of the Bay in the Pulse of Estuary, an annual report on the progress made and the issues that remain. The 2013 report is here, and you can get far more if you poke around on the website.

http://www.sfei.org/rmp/pulse
xander.arch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2010 EIR (Environmental Impact Report) for the TI redevelopment is on the SF planning department's site.

Here is the volume that deals with hazardous materials:

http://sfmea.sfplanning.org/2007.0903E_V2.pdf

Specifically Section IV.P.9 (plan), IV.P.15, IV.P.18 for details on radiological contaminants.

I did a cursory review, but indeed the problem is site 12 which is the current housing (rigging & launch area).

A few excerpts from the report.....

"At the time of preparation of this document, the radiologically contaminatedwastes have not been fully characterized for the site, but are likely confined to the solid waste disposal areas. Debris buried beneath existing building foundations within the Site 12 solid waste disposal areas may contain contamination including low levels of radiological material. Access to these areas would not be feasible until demolition of the existing structures occurs. Excavation protocols for areas where low level radiological contamination may exist have been required by the regulatory agencies and the Navy; these protocols have already been implemented in the removal actions in the solid waste disposal areas.

A Non-Time-Critical Removal Action began in May 2007 at three solid waste disposal areas along the shoreline of Site 12. The Navy is currently excavating and screening soils for chemical and radiological contaminants. During this removal action, low level radiological items containing radium-226 have been found within the solid waste disposal areas. All items located have been removed and disposed of in accordance with regulatory requirements. Soil that may have been impacted by these items was screened prior to shipment off-site by a licensed disposal contractor. Confirmation samples are being collected in the solid waste disposal areas once excavations are completed. Final status surveys of the solid waste disposal areas will be performed in accordance with a Multi-Agency Radiation Survey and Site Investigation Manual upon completion, which is estimated to be in 2010."
WNDZRFR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I'm so glad now that I have kept my sailing days at TI to one or two days a season which is now going to drop to ZERO.

Denial Denial Denial F'ing Navy.

The two quote that blew my mind:

"In a July 2011 email to his colleagues, he estimated a 1-in-20 chance that an object found by a member of the public would be radioactive enough to produce burns."

"Radioactive shards, similar to those detected by cleanup worker McLean, had been discovered in public grassy areas near apartments. One small octagonal object was so hot that holding it for an hour could cause radiation burns, hair loss, and possible ulceration."

WTF?

I always felt it was very strange how the one row of apartments was closed up while the others right next to them weren't. I now feel sorry for those still living in those apartments. Run like hell!
tomg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look for a conspiracy and you will find one.
windoggi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomg wrote:
look for a conspiracy and you will find one.
That's what they WANT you to think
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: