myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
In search of bigger shortboard for lighter Gorge conditions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: In search of bigger shortboard for lighter Gorge conditions Reply with quote

My knee surgeon and PT have agreed to let me WS this summer as long as I don’t use footstraps. That means lighter winds and a greater chance of slogging, thus a bigger board than I presently have. So … what boards, in what size, do you folks recommend considering the following objectives?

At 180#, I expect to use it with 5.7 to 7.0 sails, modestly powered, no jumping allowed, on flat to thigh-high Gorge terrain. It must be an early planer, but top speed is not important. A smooth ride in chop is mandatory, as are easy slashing and jibing, tightly if feasible at this size. I’m looking for fun, comfort, and easy maneuvering, not edgy technical sailing or big upwind ability.

My next board down is a 114 liter Synchro, but I’m guessing another 15 to 30 (?) liters will buy me LOTS more planing power with a 7.0 (I’m just not willing to go bigger) Northwave 511 stump puller and much easier uphauling even with my dodgy balance. I don’t like boxy or sharp rails especially forward, prefer relatively narrow tail for maneuverability and ride quality. Not looking for a new (read: $1,800) board, as I anticipate very little use for it after this summer of rehab. I don't need straps out on the rails even after recovery; it’s just not how I sail. Will want inboard strap options up front, closely spaced twin (or, better yet, single) rear strap(s) option for when the doc OKs straps with caution (and very loose strap settings). Must have Powerbox.

Any board vintage is worth considering, as long as it meets my criteria.

Mike \m/
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike,

I use a 130 liter JP Funride. It is like butter even with its barge like size in Lake Michigan chop. Real easy on the knees. Any similar board in non carbon will be softer on knees. Maybe others can comment on long vs. short and narrow without footstraps.

Since you wont be using footstraps I would definitely recommend wearing a "bare foot" running shoe. Designed to wear without socks. They give sooooo much support and traction on knees and feet when putting pressure on the board. Almost like footstraps. They can take water abuse as well. I liken it to playing tennis with bare feet vs. using these shoes. World of difference in support and stability. I use them even with footstraps just cause I love the traction and force I can put on the board. I know some will cringe.

Something like these. Very light and slim. You wont even know they are on.

http://www.zappos.com/merrell-barefoot-run-vapor-glove-black-blue?ef_id=UxeyQQAAAHHakSYB:20140305232449:s

Stay with the rehab my friend.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: In search of bigger shortboard for lighter Gorge conditions Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
At 180#, I expect to use it with 5.7 to 7.0 sails, modestly powered, no jumping allowed, on flat to thigh-high Gorge terrain. It must be an early planer, but top speed is not important. A smooth ride in chop is mandatory, as are easy slashing and jibing, tightly if feasible at this size. I’m looking for fun, comfort, and easy maneuvering, not edgy technical sailing or big upwind ability.

It would be great if you could take out a big freestyle board with a swept pointer and see how that works for you. You'd get the early planing, the slashy turns (particularly under bigger sails...I take a 7.5 on my 109 liter JP Freestyle). I was in Bonaire two weeks ago, often renting the RRD Twintip (which has one of all the usual parts...don't know what the "twin" was for). It had none of the squirrelyness of some freestyle boards (I actually preferred it to my 2012 Skate.) If I was buying a new FS board as my lightwind ride (which is my primary use of them) my first choice might be that RRD. If you can explore older FS boards I'd look at old Skates and JP Freestyles at the 108-115 range (freestyle boards depend on loads of width with less volume). They'll carry the big sails while letting you turn as tightly as you please. (a 1995 JP 109 is what I'm on in the icon image to the left.)

d0uglass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear your doctor is giving you the OK to sail.

A while back Starboard was crowing about their new "Atom" board, which was real wide and thin for it's volume and designed to be used with or without footstraps. The original Atom was 99 liters, but now they go up to 120.

Another way to do the no footstraps thing would be with a sailable SUP. Take a tiny sail and have fun riding the swells and stuff.

nw30

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAIT A MINUTE!!!
Are your Dr. and PT windsurfers? That's very important.
Seems to me that sailing w/o straps will put a lot more stress on your knee. I've sailed my SUP board (only 8-10) w/o straps and it kills my knees and thighs in no time if it gets windy (>15).
I'm sailing on a knee that has been worked on for a very long time, I use a neoprene brace (no hardware or Velcro) under my wetsuit, or just that, if it's warm, and I've had little problem (shortened sessions being the only one).
So I'd hold on there cowboy, about changing your favorite horse, I'm still in the surf 100% of the time, at 64 (next month).
Just saying.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW makes great points. Unless your doc is worried about lateral movement and being locked in. Seems like much more downward pressure on the knee without footstraps than using them, unless your pretty much standing. Then maybe SUP? I use neoprene sleeve just to keep the knee warm and loose. Lateral movement can be helped with one of those hardware type braces. I am sure you know your body and have talked with the DR's.
westender

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiters go strapless all the time. You only need to keep one foot out of the strap. You will have at least one good tack.
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
Kiters go strapless all the time.
Is that why they wear their trunks outside of their wetsuits?
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news that you're gettin' better. Go talk to Brian at Open Ocean and have him shape you board that your knees can handle. He went back to slot bottom on alot of his boards because he was getting so much input from riders wanting an easier, smoother ride.
Good Luck!

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The primary risk isn't when sailing (excluding jumping); it's when crashing. Under way, we're the rottweiler, but in a tumble, we're the rag doll and the rottweiler has us by the ankles. The song said it best: "The foot bone's connected to the ankle bone, the ankle bone's connected to the leg bone, the leg bone's connected to the knee bone ... . Almost every time I've said to myself, "Oh, crap; there goes a knee/ankle", it was when I was tumbling and one foot was stuck in a strap. Unstrapped, we're just flyin' through the air and splashin' into the water. Strapped to a board moving in a different direction than we are, something's got to give, and that's going to be an ankle or a knee.

We hope to get the leg ready for the stresses of unstrapped crashing by some time in May, and as strong as it will ever be by the Fall (knees never fully recover from ACL failure). I'm getting fitted for a carbon brace later this month, to be used whenever the knee is at risk.

I thought about a windSUP, got a line on a cherry Kona One for peanuts, but turned it down. I hadn't thought about the idea of sailing it grossly underpowered for knee safety, though. I'll have to think that one through.

In the meantime, my plan is to buy a bigger windsurf board, use it very conservatively as part of safe rehab, and continue to bust my butt in a controlled gym environment until my leg is ready for the real world. Rushing that is not safe, plain and simple.I just got the OK today to run in straight lines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: