myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Baja in mid-October to mid-December for a beginner?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dnto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Baja in mid-October to mid-December for a beginner? Reply with quote

OK this is my first post and is a half-baked idea, if that! Embarassed

I’m 55, recently retired and looking for something fun to do from mid-October until sometime in December and thought windsurfing might be it and also thought Baja might be a good place to do it as I could drive there relatively easily from British Columbia. My plan would be to return to BC (where I am now) to ski Okanagan powder during the winter.

I’m a beginner windsurfer who hasn’t windsurfed in over 10 years and was only just getting the hang of a harness. I don’t think the booms are wooden anymore? Rolling Eyes
Actually, on that note, any ballpark cost for half-decent used gear to get started?

So...any comments, suggestions or better ideas?!
Thanks!!
windfind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dnto.

You can find lots of information about driving down Baja and the various places to sail in my free iwindsurf.com Baja Guide:

http://blog.weatherflow.com/baja-guide-by-mike-godsey/

I would strongly recommend the La Ventana campground for a beginner.

1. There are very frequent winds even when other sites are in the low to mid teens.

2. There is an offshore sand bard that is 2-5 feet deep starting about 300 feet from shore which is great for beginners.

3. Because of this sand bar there is only a hint of a shore break even on the biggest wind and swell days.

4 Lots of windsurfers especially at the south end of the campground.

5. Market, restaurants and great lessons from Wyatt and Tyson are within walking distance.

6. There are on site Human forecasts for La Ventana from
Dec. to March.

Here are some videos showing La Ventana on mild and wild days:
http://windnotes.phanfare.com/4743675_5625356

Mail me if you have any questions: mike@iwindsurf.com

Mike Godsey
weatherflow.com
windalert.com
iwindsurf.com
ikitesurf.com
sailflow.com
fishweather.com
USAfishing.com
windnotes.phanfare.com

baja 2013-14 426.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  117.95 KB
 Viewed:  15024 Time(s)

baja 2013-14 426.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja in mid-October to mid-December for a beginner? Reply with quote

dnto wrote:
any ballpark cost for half-decent used gear to get started?

Spend some time in Hood River, Oregon this summer. Rent some gear, TAKE SOME PRO LESSONS, catch some swap meets, buy some gear, get used to it, and you're all set. The experience will enrich your soul, save your wallet, and give you an idea how badly you want this. You're very fortunate to live just half a day away from such a great gear, lesson, advice, and sailing mecca. The money you save on gear there will probably pay for your gas, campground costs, lessons, and rental gear. The grins are gratis.

"Oh, but the Gorge blows like hell all summer. It's far too windy for a beginner".

Don't we wish!

Mike \m/
windsrf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree re the gorge. You can calibrate wind by location usually. For example, Stevenson is beginner/intermediate friendly IMHO. Assume you know how to waterstart? That would definitely be a help in Baja for example. Cheers, David
dnto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you windfind, isobars and windsrf ! Terrific info!!
I don't know if this will get me banned, on my first day!, but seeing some of the video from windfind reminded me that kite boarding would probably also be an option for the Baja during this same time?
I guess I could try both at the Gorge and see which I liked better? ( 3 winters ago coming back from Honduras on my motorcycle, I took 1 kite boarding lesson in Tulum but never got into the water. The next 2 days were too windy for lessons and then I had to leave)
Are there any recommended websites that describe the differences and pros and cons (I don't want to start a war on here discussing that!) I've seen some info just Googling.
OK, thanks again gentlemen! I'm getting excited just thinking about this Very Happy and skiing hasn't even finished yet!!
Ian
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the SEARCH button above to find many long discussions comparing them. If you ignore the ideological harangues about either, there's a lot of information available. Both have pros and cons, and an excellent thread addressing them appeared just a few months ago. For key words to use, I suggest *_%(%$$##$, ()*&*%#()%!!, and especially )^#$&%^$!$^!!.
dnto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike!! Shocked
Think i just found the one you were referring to and that you commented in in January. Funny, it was one of the first that came-up when I did a Google search and I already had it book-marked without knowing if it was any good.
Thanks again!
Ian
windfind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually comparing The Gorge and La Ventana is pointless. The Gorge has its best wind in the summer while La Ventana is best in the winter. So the solution if you are a true wind addict and have free time is to hit both of them. Then use Maui for spring and fall.

Mike Godsey
dnto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windfind,
i was actually wondering about kiteboarding (or is it kitesurfing?) versus windsurfing. I will have to buy gear either way. But thanks for the info, and I have always wanted to go but never been to Maui ... yet Wink
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out South padre Island or Bird Island. The bay there is miles wide. Its mostly waist deep. Its warm water and smooth surface are Ideal for beginners. World winds has the best rental gear in the area. Nice camping very user friendly. Jibber at SPI is a super good guy and has all the gear ready for you on the beach. Nice camping at SPI and cheap condos too. I go every year and have a blast. Phil Money has gear At SPI with a very nice launch area. Also a rescue boat if needed. Its really nice for beginners. Grass, shade and a shower. His gear is good for newbies but not The best for more advanced windsurfers. You will not be disappointed with either place. If you need more info. Call me at 805 219 0435. Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: