myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board choices are so confusing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ben.eliyahu.tom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

considering how long you want this board to "last for" you have to think about how much you plan on using it and how good you are with minor fiberglass repairs..? the less you think you will use it, the better you are on your gear and with minor fiberglass work the more I would be tempted towards the two jps, especially the newcomer which should "last you longer" in terms of ability even if it will challenge you more initially..
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are in the UK ?

quotes on price in £ ?

Call Bob or Stu at 4 Boards

http://4boards.co.uk/shop/windsurf/

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
rgomez

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nopes I'm in India..am traveling to UK though. Repairs here are next to impossible so the sturdier the better.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you probably want the BIC Evo M, but it wouldn't hurt to get a
couple of tubes of Epoxy putty (which isn't great, but can be used
even on a BIC) to do ding repairs yourself. It won't be pretty, but
you'll get more life out of your board without water in it.

-Craig

rgomez wrote:
Nopes I'm in India..am traveling to UK though. Repairs here are next to impossible so the sturdier the better.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing is a progression. It takes time to advance your skills. If you live in a windy place and sail a lot, you progress quickly. Smaller boards are your goal. Lite fast and fun. That said, if you never get to sail a smaller board you can not progress. Get the Bic. Its small enough to improve your skills and allow you to enter the world of high speed windsurfing. It's big enough to allow you to uphaul and return to the beach if the wind dies. They are tuff enough to survive the abuse that your sure to dish out. I always have my 110 liter board with me where ever I go. The only draw back is the deck on Bic boards become slick over time. Easy fix or just wear booties. Water starts are the key to every thing windsurfing. Once mastered, you open the door to small boards, small sails and high wind places.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have heard nothing but good about the All Rides. Note that the specs listed are for the 116, but the 106 should be fine for 5.5-6.5 at your (and my) weight. I would also consider the 2005 Mistral Syncro 104 at 299. Looks like a good deal, but of course condition is important. Boardsurfr is right--the old Bic ASA skinned boards were harder to repair. Best thing about the newer, shorter boards is that I don't ding the noses by swinging them into fence posts and such. Laughing
rgomez

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't considered the Mistral Synchro before as I thought it was more freestyle oriented but it too seems like a good option for 299Pounds. Don't think its as sturdy as the Bic though.

The Allrides seem good too but I would prefer getting a more modern board when my abilities improve.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original 2005 Syncro 104 (the best of the line in my opinion) is a very nice all rounder. It, and the Bic 112 Medium have much in common.

The Syncro being lighter, and a bit less in volume, is better in a bit higher wind and water state than the Bic (especially as the chop rises) but the Bic has the edge in lower force 4 earlier planing, and get up and go.I keep both as boards I've used and loved, and still rate highly.

One SLIGHT criticism of the Syncro was its relative reluctance to get up and plane, which you only really realise after becoming used to it. I also found that the stiff fin (as fitted) didn't quite feel right, and loosened the board up with a slightly smaller flexi tipped one. It improved the gybing.

Another board you could consider is the older Exocet Cross 118 . It is of a similar type to the other two, with the bonus of being quite good in light wind surf.

All three are not what you'd pick as high wind boards of course, though it's sea state that 'does' for them eventually. They can all be used with small sails in high wind but sheltered waters, but that is not what they are meant for. If I was pushed to keep just one of the three it would be the Bic Techno Evolution Medium 112 (to give it its full title), though I admit it would be for sentimental reasons.
On those carefree magical force 4ish sea breeze, sunlit, beautiful swelly/light choppy days it has a captivating hovery/slidey planing feel which has always rung my bell!! Laughing Laughing
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Syncro is about the smallest I would consider, perhaps too small. The Techno Evolution M seems to be coming up the most popular. BIC's are tough, and this one is a proven design. The fact that the "extra" volume is in length rather than width could actually be an advantage as it should be pretty smooth when the wind comes up, plus have a smooth transition onto a plane. The extra length can also be helpful when uphauling (when necessary.) Also, lower original cost should, hopefully, give you a nice board for 299.
rgomez

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like I'm gonna get lucky... I'm managed to find a hardly used rocket 125gt with new 2 sails and ful rig selling for about 1300 usd out here in India itself.

I think it's perfect for my requirement.. Will allow me to replace my funster 180 and give me much more range of conditions that I can use it in... I just hope the deal goes through.

What do you guys think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: