myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Does low boom equates to wrong sail design
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsurfn1426

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...
most people should not have to worry about the boom cutout. I think if you are within the boom cutout range, you should not worry. If you are too tall or too short, well, then you may have to be a little concerned. I think if you are too short, there should be no problem modifying the boom cutout. If you are too tall, the batten layout may limit your options. If you extend the boom cutout above the next upper batten pocket, you can have wear and rotation issues. My concern...why would a 6.7m2 wave sail be designed to have a 105cm option but not a 155cm option is beyond me. I assume they just upscaled a smaller sail, and are not thinking who might use that size sail.

http://windsurfos.tumblr.com/post/68724038259/cutouts#notes
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder, I'm not sure the sail twist the same way depending on where the boom is within the cutout. This is where I am going with all this. Or are we saying it's negligible?

I'm amazed that increasing the cutout would work. I bet the top end or gust control have to be affected.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guy said no. After all, the luff sleeve is not a high tension item compared to some other parts of the sail. Notice that cuts or tears in it don't grow.
westender

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a small person used a big sail, maybe the cutout would be too high.

I would make a adjustable yoke front end so you could set the clamp height for the perfect sail twist.

Do you downhaul your sail before you put the boom on?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't mean the sail is designed wrong, it means you are designed wrong. ;*)

-Craig
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But small folk could choose from a selection of built-up booties, and always have the boom at the correct height. We taller ones can't saw our feet off, and put 'em in our pocket.

Life's so unfair!
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
Sailboarder, I'm not sure the sail twist the same way depending on where the boom is within the cutout. This is where I am going with all this. Or are we saying it's negligible?

I'm amazed that increasing the cutout would work. I bet the top end or gust control have to be affected.

I think it has NO impact, but maybe it's totally negligible. Same final result.

If you want to influence sail behavior, you can use a different clew hole for attaching your boom if available with your sail. This will impact upper leach tension and sail twist.

About increasing the cutout: if you need more range, you're not forced to "increase" it. You can do an extra cutout, for exemple lower. This leaves supporting material between the original and the new cutout.

I did it with an older sail for my wife. Very simple to do. You take scissors and do two cuts in the luff sleeve, perpendicular to the mast, from the leading edge halfway into the sleeve. One cut at the top and one at the bottom of the new opening. You will be able to push the luff material behind the mast when you thread it. You now have two cutouts!
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ask the lady sewing my sails in Hood River to extend the bottom of my cutouts (after assurance from the sail designer that it will not affect anything).

My booms end up close to mid-cutout, so my lowered cutout is for rigging ease, not ultimate boom height. Mounting a boom to a fully downhauled sail is a huge PITA, so I simply lace up my downhaul, not tighten it, first. With the sail that loose, the OEM cutout hampers mounting the boom at my preferred height. I got spoiled by all those years on dang-near self-rigging Hurricanes.
westender

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time there's not a problem with the gear. The sailor is the problem.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Mounting a boom to a fully downhauled sail is a huge PITA.

Strange, I find it totally the opposite. This must be do to different sail brands and/or mast heads. I find as I downhaul the sail the mast moves closer to the leading edge of the luff sleeve exposing more of the mast for easier boom attachment.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: