myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I need a really big sail
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Unifiber chart, the Ezzy and Sailworks should rig correctly on the HSM mast. The Ezzy (and maybe the Sailworks) is designed to work on a 490 mast so I would expect a good fit with your mast.

http://www.unifiber.net/2013/mast-selector

About the masts: You are probably stronger than average because of your size. Like me, you will probably find that a 75% Carbon 520 mast is not that heavy. But many people do and they are sold used for cheap. I got mine in very good condition for a bit more than 200$. It probably make sense for you to have more options with such a mast. (Daytona 9.8 would be an example)
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Uniber chart is useful as a guide.

If you take the 10 squares in constant curve and flex top, moving 1 square is a 10% difference in soft or stiffness, using all 15 square its around 6.90

the very stiffest masts overall are Maui/ Gaastra

note where Neil Pryde is , almost opposite.

Ezzy 340/370/400/430/460

HSM 310/340/370/400/430....... are all in the van.

Get a Hot Sails and then you will glean the performance intended from both

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been considering the 10M Speedfreak (or a kite and lessons) but I've been reading about cammed sails and there is one much lighter sailor who always seems to get planing when no one else is, he says his secret weapon is a giant fin and a Neil Pryde cammed sail.
I live on Kauai, WSing is not too popular here, no clinics, used gear rather rare, giant sails and masts even more uncommon in all of Hawaii for that matter.
I can get a new Ezzy or the Hot shipped cheaply from Maui, the Retro would be rather pricey to ship from the Gorge.
Mr. Ezzy says his sails should rig fine on a Hot mast so I'll take his word for it (or is he just trying to move sails? I'm always a skeptic)
The mast extension is interesting but wouldn't that give me a 530 that's as soft as a 490?
It seems the Retro has a better low end and the Hot a better top end, how would the Ezzy fit in? I know they have a lot of shape and are regarded as powerful and with cams would you reckon it's equal to the 10M?
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamieinnyc wrote:

With your WindSUP, I would suggest the 7.5m SummerFreak as an alternative.

Boom looks crazy long for this sail, what is the length?
joe_windsurfxxx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just another warning about mast / sail compatibility
this year MS/Maui Sails have gone to a CC/constant curve mast
on unifiber they now have mast compatibility by year Sad
we can no longer make sweeping statements like MS and Gaastra are all the hardest top sails...
there is even an older NP that fits on the hard-top MS sails ...
and so, we need to be even more careful than b4
specially with cams ...
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
jamieinnyc wrote:

With your WindSUP, I would suggest the 7.5m SummerFreak as an alternative.

Boom looks crazy long for this sail, what is the length?

Ah, yes, the Achilles heel for the SummerFreak. Were I the sail designer, I would have opted for a clew solution that would have kept the boom length to 240, but you really need up to 255 or 260 (the sail has considerable rigging range). I have formula booms (from my days of experimenting with this light-wind approach), so the boom length is no problem for me, but how many likely buyers have such booms?

If you've got the boom for the sail, it's great fun.

No wind on Kauai? Didn't realize that. I guess paradise isn't paradise after all.
Brian.bigfella@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a super-heavyweight (280 pounds) and I really like my Lion 9.5 With the Free Formula that will get you going in winds down to about 10.

One thing to keep in mind, it has a really long boom (about 250). It's a tad too big for my biggest carbon boom so I have a monster aluminium Chinook boom that weighs a ton. I'll probably end up getting a $1000 carbon boom just for one sail.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamieinnyc wrote:

No wind on Kauai? Didn't realize that. I guess paradise isn't paradise after all.

There are several spots that are windier but by no means as windy or consistent as Maui.
Haena and Mahaulepu, both expert level locations. Haena is sharky, this is where Bethany Hamilton got her arm bit off and if you break down on the far outside you could drift down the Napali coast where there are no roads.
My friend had to get rescued at Mahaulepu after his boom broke, the wind and waves push you against a cliff.
I sail at Anini, a tiny lagoon or Hanalei bay which can be good if it's ever windy.
Last year was nearly a washout as the trade winds were weak and the strong wind days rarely happened.
I'm thinking with a big enough sail I could take on Hanalei bay on a more consistent basis as there is a contingent of beach cats during the summer.
It can be kind of spooky to sail out into the open ocean here because there is nobody else out. There is a point at the end of my road overlooking most of the North shore, I walk my dogs out there twice a day and usually you do not even see one boat, on a nice day perhaps one or two small fishing boats in the distance.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian.bigfella@gmail.com wrote:
I'm a super-heavyweight (280 pounds) and my Lion 9.5

it has a really long boom (about 250).

Specs say 240 to 247, we know Ezzy's take a lot of outhaul is it more like 247 to 250? My boom is the Chinook pro alloy 185-247, I wonder if is long AND deep enough?
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
jamieinnyc wrote:

There are several spots that are windier but by no means as windy or consistent as Maui.
Haena and Mahaulepu, both expert level locations. Haena is sharky, this is where Bethany Hamilton got her arm bit off and if you break down on the far outside you could drift down the Napali coast where there are no roads.
My friend had to get rescued at Mahaulepu after his boom broke, the wind and waves push you against a cliff.
I sail at Anini, a tiny lagoon or Hanalei bay which can be good if it's ever windy.
Last year was nearly a washout as the trade winds were weak and the strong wind days rarely happened.
I'm thinking with a big enough sail I could take on Hanalei bay on a more consistent basis as there is a contingent of beach cats during the summer.
It can be kind of spooky to sail out into the open ocean here because there is nobody else out. There is a point at the end of my road overlooking most of the North shore, I walk my dogs out there twice a day and usually you do not even see one boat, on a nice day perhaps one or two small fishing boats in the distance.

Well, lots more info here, and a scaled up parallel to my my sailing experience. As a teenager I learned to windsurf on the bay side of an island, but now almost exclusively - and alone - sail out in the ocean. Ok, it's the Atlantic, but still big swells that cap, sometimes a mile or more from shore (but I don't have nasty currents to deal with). So, with some years (15+) of experience doing this, my advice is as follows. Go out in on-shore or side-on conditions. Forget the formula board, or anything smaller, and go with the WindSUP (though my board of choice would be the CarbONE, but my board reality is the Kona Surf), and get the HSM 10m SpeedFreak. I once broke a mast about a 1/2 a mile out - a longboard and side-on meant I was back on-shore in about 15 minutes. Your friend with the broken boom would have had no problem sailing back in (slowly) with a longboard. I believe there is no other safe way to approach solo open ocean windsurfing. The SpeedFreak is also a very durable, very forgiving sail, and rig tensions are not crazy, so less likely to break things. I use SDM (I'm old school, and for big sails a +), and since my mast-breaking experience, I go lower carbon content for more durability (the mast I broke was 100%). I carry extra line for up-haul/outhaul in the "pocket" of my harness (have changed outhauls on the water too), and if you are really venturing out, you should carry a cell phone. Any old one will do as long as it's charged (and can still make 911 calls). Everyone has to set their own standards when it comes to risk, I realize that - I'm not saying mine are the best, just sharing my approach.

The payoff to carefully putting together an offshore kit is big. When you've been out in the sea, it's tough to get excited about flat-water sailing again (I say this having just spent a week doing very flat water windsurfing in Bonaire). Or that's my experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: