myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Help to pick a larger sail!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I rely on Severne word, the Gator is more manoeuvrable than the Convert. We can assume that the Convert (and Turbo) is more powerfull at same size, so the gap between your 7.5 to a 8.5 might not be too small.

Since you are sailing on lakes, I presume it will be gusty. My next large sail will have cams because they behave a bit better in gusts. I would go with the Turbo.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not an active sailor, in other words if you let the sail pull you on to a plane instead of pumping, get the Convert. If you are an active sailor-pump- get the Turbo as it will be more stable, plane through lulls better, sail higher & deeper off the wind & pull out of jibes better.

Coachg
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa brings up a crucial point. Waterstarting and/or uphauling. The bigger you go with sail size, the handling issues go up dramatically, particularly if you launch in surf and/or rocky conditions. There's a point where the hassles can make using big sails a real pain in the ass. In the past, my ceiling has been in the 8.1-8.3 range. But these days, I'm finding even my 7.1 can be a lot of work if the wind doesn't cooperate. One thing to ask yourself regarding big sails is whether you will be able to balance the boom off the tail of your board. If you can't, the handling challenges elevate considerably.

Lastly, if you do elect to buy a bigger sail, I would highly recommend that you use the recommended mast. Also, with the choice being 75% or 100% carbon, definitely go with the later if you can afford it.
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart sailors with large sails 8.0-12.0 have an "Easy Up-Haul", a loop on the uphaul that you loop over your harness hook. You break the sail from the water with your legs (90% of the work), then pull it up with your arms. Saves a lot of energy.

Water starting big rigs is reasonable, but only if the sail is upwind and not in the water. Any other scenario, it's better to uphaul.
konajoe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you rigging your sail for light wind per your specific sail? If you don't have the rigging guide for that sail, check online. It makes a huge difference. The next time you feel underpowered, try the minimum recommended downhaul and outhaul settings.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree with the EZ uphaul comment. I use a 9.5 Aerotech (it's cuben fiber, so fairly light - they don't offer it anymore) Pacer sail with EZ uphaul, and it's no problem to handle. 100% carbon mast, boom, extension.

and, I'm nearing 60 years of age. I know, it's not that old, but you 40+year olds think it is.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried a cammed sail for the first time. I like it! It'an RS:X 8.5 that I tried on the Banana River, FL. with a Kona board. It's the first time I sail in several months. I sail a Kona 9.0 most of the time. I sailed a Kona 7.4 just before the 8.5. I didn't plane on the 7.4. I changed rigs and the wind went up too so it was full on plane with the 8.5.

The cammed sail felt heavier when getting ready to go. The stronger fuller shape catches more find. But once moving, it was great. It reacts to my inputs while buffing out the gusts. In fact in gusts, instead of being shaken, you just feel a gradual pull and steady acceleration!

I usually wear a PFD but wasn't wearing one. Still, I waterstarted twice quite easily. I also nearly pulled 2 planing jibes with it. (I'm only starting on this and achieved only 1 late last season). So I'm sure jibers need to adapt to a cammed sail, but I'm also sure that it's not a big issue.

My first tack was more difficult than expected. The sail drags more in the wind, so the balance point is different too.

All in all, it's the best tool for doing long runs, and my next large sail will be cammed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: