myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Question of this is a good deal or not
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devnlogs1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Question of this is a good deal or not Reply with quote

http://houston.craigslist.org/spo/4400979251.html

I'm just getting in to windsurfing and looking to pick up some used stuff while I'm learning. I saw this and don't know enough about it to know if it's worth getting or not. I primarily am out on lakes, so would these boards be alright for that? Are there any questions I should ask?

Edit: Thanks for all the helpful responses, I appreciate your insight

Last edited by devnlogs1 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, looks like he robbed a museum!

That stuff will work, but it's terribly dated. Probably be OK to learn on for a season or 2, but you'll want to upgrade as soon as you can. I'd put those dinosaurs at around $450. for the lot, seeing as how they're >25 years old.

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note how the photo doesn't show the boom heads. That is not an accident...those are likely tie-on booms, from which you are asking for a lot of hassles.

Pass.

LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ultracat has some long term value if in good shape. I would offer $200-300 max for that and tell the owner you will take the rest to the dump for free (for a few hundred dollars you could buy used stuff that is much easier to learn on than those smaller old school boards). Big planing longboards like the ultracat are hard to find and worth snapping up if in good shape. Check iwindsurf buy/sell for used sails and you will be set

Some one will correct me if i am wrong about the ultracat
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Spennie said, plus this mast track tip in case you buy it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUd3PFO244s
The Ultra Cat is a classic, and not just in age. It was and is a great board for light air cruising and planing conditions. Everybody says we must have ultrawide boards for learning. IMO, though, if I had to choose between a wide board and professional lessons, the latter are infinitely more important. Get yourself over to Bird Island at Corpus and take some lessons from WorldWinds. Even if it means not eating that week, it's worth it.

Mike \m/
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the Puffin said about the booms, but it looks like only one of the booms are a tie on type, the blue ones on the bottom.
But I agree the price is still too high, I'd try even lower, about $150, I'm sure he doesn't have a line of people wanting to buy that very old stuff. It's taking up a lot of his room, and if he doesn't sell it fast, he just may junk it, or donate it somewhere.
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with NW30 on price, don't know what I was thinking before.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fanatic Ultra Cat is a great board that would serve you well for learning, and in the long run, a high performance longboard that is arguably competitive today in longboard (~365cm) racing. I would think that it alone would be worth $400-450 if it has the Fanatic universal and a decent fin to match. The Fanatic Lite Bat isn't optimum for learning, but would be fun once you learn the basics, and it can still get you back home with the daggerboard. The Mistral is probably the least useful, because once you're good enough for it, you would be much better off with something 20 years newer.

Everything else is a bit too ancient, even if it's serviceable. I didn't see any masts, but if they're there, they aren't optimum. However, all that stuff will get you started learning the sport. The one thing that you really to consider is buying a modern clamp-on boom. Tie-on booms are tough to rig right, and they tend to be very difficult to get a snug and solid fit.

Offer the seller $400-450 tops. You might initially offer $300-350 just to test the water.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not a good deal, only one board is useful. It's old junk, I would offer to haul it away for free and that will probably be the only offer he will get.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that if this doesn't come with a mast foot in good condition (and why would it...it's 20+ years old) you're going to have additional expense and hassle sorting out the board/rig connection for each board. That piece is no longer made. Two of the three boards you'll never use (ie you are taking them to the dump) The masts...one is a 15 foot long single piece epoxy mast that you will find awkward to drive around with. If you could get it all for free, you could plan to have a new mast track put in the Ultra Cat for a few hundred dollars and enjoy it as a longboard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: