myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
oahu sailing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to be on Windfinder's source list for tips and conditions of various spots. I was also on earlier BankWright's SurfingCalifornia credits, like the first couple of prints.
tomg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb:

RE: your comment:

"""It's all old hat now, and while 3 spots on the Marin coast still haven't been sailed/surfed, with good waves and favorible winds, the challenge just doesn't excite the senses anymore, the long drives, the skunks, the iffy conditions, it's best left to the younger generation"""".

There's a spot right smack in the middle of the bay that has a fun little wave that runs on and on for some 5- 15 minutes. We're talkin the GGBD ferryboat that runs from SF past Treasure Island to Larkspur (the cat boats too but the wake is smaller). Been there done that? Wave sailing in the Bay - who knew...

Tomg
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better one in the strait between Angel and Tiburon, that one goes for almost 2 hours nonstop, and only needs a NNW wind and strong ebb. Both are around 3' high.
Taller wakes in the old daze at Larkspur, from outside the prison thru to the inside marsh, maybe 1/2 mile. I've seen guys ride it around head high, and just two weeks ago, local MikeHelms got on from just inside the prison to the marsh, around upper chest high, what windsurfer's call logo high, surfer's call it 4'. Monohull ferry, he gunned it at the prison until the end of the marsh. I was on the beach rigging.
Standing waves have no power, and you get those mid ebb just downwind from N Tower, with a slick spot just E of it.
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:

Illegal to sail Chums or Lanikai, Jocko's or that area.

Is that an ordinance or a locals enforced law? I saw a couple of guys kitesurfing at Laniakea on a small day recently, maybe the lifeguards don't get upset if it is small.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly surfer inforced.
Rigging and launching can be dangerous at those spots just off the highway, as there's not much room, no beach, to rig and fly your kites.
Some guys were flying their kites across the highway, then walking across to launch in the water.
Those spots are packed with surfers, anything over 3', there'd be 50+ guys fighting for waves. Not great to be SUP, kite, or windsurfing thru that crowd.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of, forgot to add.
Normal trade winds on the NE shore is NE, so it's not sideshore, but around a 45 degree, like PuntaSanCarlos.
But while that might seem ideal, there are cliffs around 12' high, and lots of tall trees and telephone wires between the highway and the shoreline so there is almost ZERO wind inside, even if the winds are blowing 22 outside in the surfzone. Yes, and houses too.
On Easterly trades, the spot of choice is Mokulea, clean wind, shifty peaks and no stable reef breaks.
capetonian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been here 32 days now. Loving it!
KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:

Any flat spots??
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halloween in Lahaina? WTF? I'd rather have a root canal in the middle of Coachella.....

I am a proponent of bringing your own gear, unless you want to check out all the new shapes and sails. 2-3 sails, a 400 mast, and boom inside your board bag.

Pack 12 hours ahead so you know what conditions you'll have. If wind is predicted light or Kona's, don't bring your gear, rent!
capetonian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDo wrote:
capetonian wrote:

Any flat spots??

Kailua. I was at a house party on the beach at Kailua for Easter Sunday. I wish I had brought a 6.6 race sail and a small slalom board. In the afternoon it was 25 gusting to 30 mph but lots of rain squalls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: