myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mast tip extension: where to get?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian_S

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the Sailworks folks a shout. I have several Sailworks sails, and putting a 400 mast, with a long extension, on a sail that calls for 430 will really 'soften' the mast and change the bend characteristics, and likely not provide the correct rig tension. So, a sail that you like, may become a sail that you don't like, especially if you're a heavier guy.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 6" and 12" aluminum tip extensions I'll sell for $5 each plus postage.

If you want one send me a private message. Include the outside diameter of the tip of your mast so I can measure to make sure one would fit.

They were made for aluminum masts back in the day. On a non-aluminum mast I would wrap a couple of layers of duct tape where the bottom of the tip extension base will touch the mast.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not use a tip extension on a modern sail. Either base extend to the right mast length, or get the correct mast (preferred).

There's a reason why you can't find a tip extension - no manufacturers have made them in over 20 years.

You're going to be real sorry you ever bothered with a tip extension when you crack the top of your mast because you tried to save a couple bucks. Modern masts are not reinforced for or designed to be used with tip extensions. Not to mention the fact that running your sail on a mast that's too small is almost certainly going to affect performance.

Set up your gear using the right equipment. Don't cut corners trying to save a buck.

sm
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The days of indestructable epoxy Rotho wave masts are history, but it would still be possible (though pointless, as said) to use a tip extension in a modern mast.

a) it should be an exact taper fit over several inches to evenly spread the load (part of an old mast of similar bend characteristics with no wobble and tip crushing leverage), and b) it would be advisable to reinforce the inside of the mast tip (thin metal ring) to prevent crushing. (Differential expansion could be a problem if left baking in the sun - not much of a worry over here!)

We tight fisted lot enjoy (i.e. little choice) adapting things but, you do feel a difference, especially the swing weight at the top of the mast. Consequently, we faff about making bottom extensions, instead. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: