myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Harness set up
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, my latest post is blank ?!

While there is truth in what Iso is saying, I think you have a good board to start.

I bought one for 50$, and it was a good purchase as it's well used by my family. I am the same size you are and I am easily able to stand up paddle it in calm weather, so it definitely floats me too with relative stability.

Yes, there are better boards out there, but yours is available, complete, and suitable too. The major drawback is the limited lateral stability when uphauling and tacking. If you have trouble learning to uphaul on the board, you should rent or borrow a total beginner board lke a Starboard Start. These boards are good only for the very first few lessons. They are super large and floaty, so they are very stable. But once you get a hang of it, you realize they don't glide on the water at all. The Windsurfer will then be MUCH faster and rewarding.

If you decide to learn to uphaul on your board, you could use booties to protect your ankles. When you fall often at the very beginning, your ankles will eventually brush the seam of the board and you will find it hurts if it happens a few times!

The soft Windsurfer sail is great to learn in light wind too. In fact much better than modern sails since it is very light and it's softness will let you read the wind better. Once you go out in more wind, you'll want a modern rig however. They are way more stable and are suitable to be comfortable while planing.

Have fun!
micheal_can

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder wrote:
Oh, my latest post is blank ?!

While there is truth in what Iso is saying, I think you have a good board to start.

I bought one for 50$, and it was a good purchase as it's well used by my family. I am the same size you are and I am easily able to stand up paddle it in calm weather, so it definitely floats me too with relative stability.

Yes, there are better boards out there, but yours is available, complete, and suitable too. The major drawback is the limited lateral stability when uphauling and tacking. If you have trouble learning to uphaul on the board, you should rent or borrow a total beginner board lke a Starboard Start. These boards are good only for the very first few lessons. They are super large and floaty, so they are very stable. But once you get a hang of it, you realize they don't glide on the water at all. The Windsurfer will then be MUCH faster and rewarding.

If you decide to learn to uphaul on your board, you could use booties to protect your ankles. When you fall often at the very beginning, your ankles will eventually brush the seam of the board and you will find it hurts if it happens a few times!

The soft Windsurfer sail is great to learn in light wind too. In fact much better than modern sails since it is very light and it's softness will let you read the wind better. Once you go out in more wind, you'll want a modern rig however. They are way more stable and are suitable to be comfortable while planing.

Have fun!

The price was right - Free.

I was having problems hauling up the sail, but I was told it was because it was missing the baton in the sail.

I would rather fight with this one, and eventually learn how to use it than to use one that limits me.

Due to the water temp, I wear a full wetsuit with booties anyways.

Thank you for your support.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A missing baton would have little to do with uphauling. It's all about balance and it just takes time for your body to adapt an learn how to stay on the board. It's repetition that is necessary.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's all good advice you've been getting.
And right, the missing batten doesn't have anything to do with difficulty, uphauling the sail.
The hard part about uphauling... is just that. Standing, and balancing, on a tippy board, while trying to pull the sail up out of the water. The sail, while lying IN and under the water, is very heavy, cause there's tons of water on top of it.

And at your weight, it is going to be difficult to balance on that board. If it is an original windsurfer, it's only about 176L of volume. And that's too small for someone your size to comfortably uphaul.
However, it is possible. If you can stay warm and keep a good attitude... it is do-able. Your determination and patience, will be key.

You're in Victoria Smile
There are still lots of windsurfer's there. You will be able to find them, if you can figure out where to look. And one of them, probably many of them, will be happy to meet you. And they will gladly offer free advice, and if it's the right advice, it will help you a ton. The lesson advice you got here, was correct. But, you will be able to find a knowledgeable nice, patient guy who will help you for free.

And come down to Seattle this summer... bring your gear. I'll help you set it up properly... and give you plenty of tips, that will keep you busy practicing all summer.
For example, there are a few correct ways to uphaul... and many wrong ways. You need to learn the difference, and then you won't fall nearly as much.

And I agree, don't worry about wearing a harness at this point... or harness lines on your boom. They'll just get in your way, you have plenty to practice and get comfortable with... before you need a harness.
In fact, wearing the harness now, will likely cause damage to your board and sail. At your weight, and using a kinda small board (176L) you will be falling a lot. And it's very common when first learning about wearing a harness, to fall and have that "hook" go right through your board, or your sail. So, just leave the harness alone for now.

When I'm teaching beginner's... I don't introduce the harness until they can uphaul consistently without falling. And... they can get under-way and sail 50 yard beam-reaches back and forth. And do successful tacks and jibes at the end of each 50 yard reach... without falling.
It's important to practice all those starts and turns until you have them dialed. And then... you can add the harness.

There are a few successful teaching progressions. But, that's one of them.
Keep up the great attitude... maybe we'll meet this summer,
Greg Smile
lucashurt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: There is a forum for windsurfing on Vancouver Island Reply with quote

If you want to sail with others, check out:

http://bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: