myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fanatic 295 mast foot
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nswestman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Fanatic 295 mast foot Reply with quote

Hi all,
I just bought a used Fanatic 295 with mast, sail and boom. It's practically unused. It has no mast foot and, so, I'll need to buy one. My old Mistral had two positions for the mast/two holes in which to secure the mast foot. I've used one board since that had the track system (I know I'm using uniformed or antiquated language, it has been a long time since I windsurfed). My question is, what do I need to know before I buy a mast foot? I know it needs to fit the mast, but what else do I need to know? Any information is appreciated. Thanks very much!
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easier to help you if you provide pictures. But then maybe someone knows that specific board and setup.

About the mast, is it one piece or 2 piece?
nswestman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: pictures Reply with quote

Sailboarder,
I'll take some pictures tomorrow. What I noticed from the track is that the rear part of it is the entry for the foot. It looks like a rectangular opening at the rear of the track.
The mast is a two piece. Sorry this isn't very descriptive. The equipment is outside getting rinsed off in the rain for now. I'll post tomorrow.
Thank you for your reply.

fanatic.jpg
 Description:
This is the picture from the craigslist ad. Maybe not enough detail.
 Filesize:  50.64 KB
 Viewed:  19611 Time(s)

fanatic.jpg

d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fanatic is 20+ years old, but at least it has the standard, modern kind of mast attachment track. It goes with a universal joint that looks like this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTYwWDcyMA==/z/AiQAAOxyTMdTLJ30/$_35.JPG

The nut fits into the opening at the end of the track, then you slide the base forward to the position you want, then twist the base around and around to screw it down until it's tight.

The "two holes" mast attachment you are describing sounds like the kind that the old "Mistral Superlight" had. The Mistral Superlight was a much bigger board than this fanatic, and it had a daggerboard. If that's the only board you've ever ridden, you will probably find that this fanatic is way too small and unstable to ride, in which case you should look for a big board with a daggerboard more similar to your old Mistral Superlight.

Arrgh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one one of those. It had an extra wide single rear strap, which might account for the "splayed" look of yours. Those two straps in the very rear need to be moved to the forward-most front foot position. That's a very easy first short board.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are photos of universals that Chinook offers. Unfortunately, they screwed up on depicting the model that incorporates the tendon connection (they erroneously showed the rubber hourglass connection). The Chinook universals are a bit easier to find than the Streamlined brand, but both will work perfectly in your mast track.

http://www.chinooksailing.com/products/index.php?cPath=2_31_32

You can see what the tendon connection looks like in the Europin universals.

http://www.chinooksailing.com/products/index.php?cPath=2_33
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nswestman
means you are north, south, west ?
if we knew where you are, perhaps we could suggest shop(s) and/or used in the area
looks like you need the mast base and matching extension based on your foto
welcome back, be patient and do not get discouraged
just have FUN on the water !!! {and be safe}
you don't need the latest n greatest for that
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per Joe, it would be great if you could be referred to a local shop. There's a slight chance that your mast base extension may be off standard. Some of the old Windsurfing Hawaii extensions accepted some mast foot cups while rejecting others, and if you can sort that out in the store it would be best. So if you go to a shop bring the extension. Have fun!
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To summarize,

you allready have an mast extension, the gold part. It may not be standard so you should bring it to your local shop to try the fit with the:

1-bolt mast base, US cup standard you need.

The hinge itself can be of 3 types. I prefer tendon because it's easier to inspect. Hourglass and mechanical also have their advantages leading to endless debates. Don't sweat that choice...

Before heading to the shop, you can rig your sail and make sure you can rig it with the parts you have, and also that the ropes are not frayed. Change them if required.

If not sure how to rig your sail, search for a rigging video. There's a Kona one available that's quite complete. The exact final tuning of the sail is quite maker and model dependant however.

Have fun!
ramps

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I have one of those old Fanatics - it's strapped to the joists in my garage and I use it as a plank to store other windsurfing equipment. The mast foot I have is a true universal joint, that is like a car's driveshaft universal. It has a single brass nut that fits in the mast track and you turn the mast foot to tighten. It has been modified with Chinook parts so that it will work with their mast bases - if I remember I'll take a picture and post it. Fun learning board, but the deck is super slippery - I even used a redeck kit with not much improvement. Have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: