myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How big sail for Tiga Free X 281?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joris00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: How big sail for Tiga Free X 281? Reply with quote

I have a Tiga Free X 281 (I read somewhere it's pretty similar to Bic Techno 283), 150L, 69cm wide; Ezzy 5.7 cambered sail, with 460cm mast.
I live in CO, and sail in a smaller lake. Sometimes we get good wind, but I'd like to be able to go out as often as possible, and by this I mean winds under 10mph.
As I am reading now (1 year after I bought it), a longboard, like Kone One would have been a better choice for this... but the main reason I don't want to get a (much) bigger board is I don't have a ton of space because I live in apartment.

So I am thinking I can use a bigger sail on this board.
What size would you guys recommend?
Is it a good idea to look for a sail that is compatible with my mast (460), or should I get a bigger mast?

I am an upper beginner (I suppose), I haven't done any harness or waterstart, but can comfortably get in an out in winds under 15mph.
I am 5'7", 135lbs.

Thank you for any advice you may have!
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your upper end is around a 10 meter sail, but that would require a new longer mast, longer booms, possibly a bigger fin also.
So, economical, best to look for a sail that fits your boom at it's max extension, a sail that fits your mast at it's longest extension, and go with something around a new style 7 meter sail.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How big sail for Tiga Free X 281? Reply with quote

A Sailworks Retro 7.5 will rig on your 460 mast (with 30 cms of extension).
At 135 lbs, you'll be able to plane at about 12MPH windspeed on that Tiga,
with a 50CM or bigger fin. It'd be a great compliment to the 5.7.

-Craig

Joris00 wrote:
I have a Tiga Free X 281 (I read somewhere it's pretty similar to Bic Techno 283), 150L, 69cm wide; Ezzy 5.7 cambered sail, with 460cm mast.
I live in CO, and sail in a smaller lake. Sometimes we get good wind, but I'd like to be able to go out as often as possible, and by this I mean winds under 10mph.
As I am reading now (1 year after I bought it), a longboard, like Kone One would have been a better choice for this... but the main reason I don't want to get a (much) bigger board is I don't have a ton of space because I live in apartment.

So I am thinking I can use a bigger sail on this board.
What size would you guys recommend?
Is it a good idea to look for a sail that is compatible with my mast (460), or should I get a bigger mast?

I am an upper beginner (I suppose), I haven't done any harness or waterstart, but can comfortably get in an out in winds under 15mph.
I am 5'7", 135lbs.

Thank you for any advice you may have!
Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think zirtaeb is right on. 7.0 (my preference as a 140 lb. guy myself) to 7.5 max; most take a 460 but be sure to check. No cams. There's an HSM Superfreak 7.0 in the classifieds--light, tough, not terribly mast specific.
paulf.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i sail superfreaks. they are mast specific, in the realm of soft top constant curve. i would not recommend the 7.0 as a light wind sail compared to the previously recommended retro in 7-7.5(full batten, no cam, can be tuned for power)(or another ezzy since you have the mast). superfreaks are magic when well powered, 7.0 has a short boom intended as a wave sail.
VinceSF

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: How big sail for Tiga Free X 281? Reply with quote

the main problem is: you are a beginner. so forget about a 10m sail (at your weight, 7.5-8.0 will be plenty of sail as you progress).
I am a light weight myself btw.
I still would try learning the harness and start waterstart as learning it with a big sail is not going to help.
As much as the 7.0 mentioned in the sale section may not be the perfect sail, it is light enough to help you progress.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joris-

The FreeX 281 / Bic Techno 283 (same board, different color) will work with up to a 9.5 sail or so, but you probably shouldn't go that big any time soon.

I agree with the others here that a 7.0 - 7.5 would be good. You can get a 7.5 that rigs on a 460 mast and that is relatively light and easy to rig with no cams. The original fin that comes with the board (46 cm Select freeride fin) is well matched to a 7.5 sails so I don't think you'll need a new fin.

Even with a big sail, though, you're not going to be planing / waterstarting / etc. on a lake in 10 mph. The best way to up your lake-cruising performance in <12 mph would actually be to get a long board with a daggerboard.

-James

Sailboarder

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joris,

As inland sailors, we need gear to cover a broad range of conditions. A large sail is a good idea, irrespective of the board we use it with. Since you are light, a 7,5 is probably as large as you'll need and want for a while. The sail will work fine with your board and with a long board if you eventually get one.

Please bear in mind that masts come in many bend curves; length and IMCS are not the only criteria. There is a Unifiber chart available on the Web that can help. If your mast is an Ezzy, you might want to stick with Ezzy sails, or at least chose a brand that requires Constant Curve masts like the Ezzy.
Joris00

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot everyone, super helpful responses!

I am planning to get whatever I need at the local swap meet this weekend, so I'll see what is available there, etc..

I'll have to check what my current mast is, it was pretty worn out when I got it, so any text is hard to read.
I remember my fin is 42cm, I'll have to check if there was anything else written on it.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good information above. Just for an example, I raced the same board for a few years in course/slalom events. I weigh 170 lbs.

For light planning winds, I used a 9.2 sail and a 54cm fin. When I dropped to an 8.4 sail in stronger winds, I used a 52 cm fin. For 7.6 and strong winds I used the stock fin.

Given your weight, and after a lot more experience, there would be little reason to need anything larger than an 8.4 sail.

The Tiga is a great all around board, BUT, the nose is fragile and if you get tossed over the front and the mast hits the board, the nose can break. While learning, gluing some foam padding on the nose is a good idea. Take a pool "noodle" cut it in half and stick on the front of the board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: