myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Learning Formula
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpellegrino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Learning Formula Reply with quote

Sail on Lake Santa Fe outside of Gainesville Fl. Self taught (because I'm hard headed) on Bic Core 293 and have gained possession of a couple of Formula boards-L10 and a G8 (Ifju Garage 2008 model). Use VMG 11, 9.8, Rapid fire 8, 7.

At 58 yrs old, 190lbs, WS for 6yrs, in the straps and harness.

I find it very easy to go up wind with formula, but trying to head back to my original launch is crazy when the gusts and sudden lulls occur. I usually go downwind in spurts.

Would it be better to have control going downwind by using a smaller sail, or smaller fin ( have 70, 65, 54cm), or combination?

Tried adjustable outhaul, but it kept slipping on the boom, so I put it on the shelf.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

65 seems close for your weight for powered downwind.
Run the track forward of center on your Slab, around 25.5" from center of track to center of your front footstraps.
Consider chicken straps. L-10's should have 4 total straps.
A loosenned outhaul directly stablilizes the downwind twitchiness of your sails, so make it work, even if you have to TIE them down.
High booms make for more control downwind, but it's a balance of up and down you're really looking for.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using electric tape and wrapping it around the area where the clam cleat goes. That should make the cleat stay in place.

-Kevin
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

older thread, nice video, the guy's on a smaller sail and fin, looks good.
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25510

theres also some old threads on the starboard forums about using smaller fins and sails. some say it works fine.. some say not. ?
im just trying to figure out the formula thing too..
had another white-knuckle downwind run on mine again today.

techno900

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are racing and need maximum upwind performance, a smaller fin 65-68cm fin is just fine.

If properly powered for racing, as you turn from upwind through a beam reach to downwind, it can get scary fast trying make the turn. A smaller fin helps.
jpellegrino

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Learning formula Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

Will try smaller fin. Will also try electric tape for adjustable outhaul cleat.
BRIMAR

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going downwind on a formula board take some grit!
Loosen the outhaul (try the tape or a bicycle inner tube)
Go as deep as possible before you get going too fast.
Round the upwind bouy and turn hard directly downwind (The deeper you go the slower you will go until a gust that you can't see hits you)
You have to find that optimum angle that keeps you planning and is fast enough to soften the gusts as they come. When you do get hit with a gust sheet in to make the sail smaller to the gust (opposite of conventional thinking) and go even deeper to out run the gust which will elevate the pressure from the gust. As the gust subsides adjust your course towards a beam reach to allow the average wind (lul) to catch up to your new hyper board speed and let it coast until the next gust: repeat all the way back down wind

Remember to sheet in when the gust hits, it makes your sail smaller in the face of the gust.

As far as fins go I was trying in vain to use a 70 with a 7.8 then finally my buddy CKnap said your sail can't overpower your huge fin i hung a 52 on my L-7 and it worked great in gusty Cabrillo 10-14
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRIMAR wrote:

Remember to sheet in when the gust hits, it makes your sail smaller in the face of the gust.

As far as fins go I was trying in vain to use a 70 with a 7.8 then finally my buddy CKnap said your sail can't overpower your huge fin i hung a 52 on my L-7 and it worked great in gusty Cabrillo 10-14

so, you couldnt get going with the larger fin..? but could when you put the smaller one in ?
interesting. today i was sorta planing off and on with a 7.2/freeride board, but not really powered, so i thought id try the same sail on the formula board with the 70cm fin just to see what would happen, and no way was it going to plane.
but it mightve with a smaller fin?

will try the sheeting out on the downwinds.. ive been doing that wrong for sure.

BRIMAR

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to sheet IN when going downwind when a gust hits you it makes the sail smaller
big fins 64+ generate a lot of drag at slow speeds too much for a small sail to overpower! try a smaller fin with your smaller sails and your formula board
joe_windsurfxxx

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete entry

Last edited by joe_windsurfxxx on Sat May 03, 2014 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: