myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How big sail for Tiga Free X 281?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
konajoe

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with 7.5. Personally, I like my biggest sail to be cammed. Sails need a certain shape to work. Camless sails need a good amount of wind to take shape. Cam sails keep that shape when the wind drops. If you're anything like the rest of us, you'll be spending alot of time in winds that are too light for the intended use of your gear as you're learning.

But avoid sails with a wide mast sleeve like formula sails have. Ezzy Infinity is nice.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, that might be true of most big sails, but not Sailworks Retros,
no cams and they pull like a freight train when rigged for light wind.
I have a 9.5 Retro. A cammed sail might have a little advantage
staying powered when you sail out of a gust though.

-Craig

konajoe wrote:
Camless sails need a good amount of wind to take shape. Cam sails keep that shape when the wind drops. If you're anything like the rest of us, you'll be spending alot of time in winds that are too light for the intended use of your gear as you're learning.

But avoid sails with a wide mast sleeve like formula sails have. Ezzy Infinity is nice.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree that a sail in the 7-7.5 range should be your target, but I'm of the opinion that a larger fin will be a huge help in very light winds. A 48-50cm fin would your best bet, unless you go with a 7.0. With a 7.0, I'd recommend a 46cm fin. Although some folks would suggest a more swept fin for maneuverability, I would say that a more vertical course slalom fin would give you more lift and drive, especially in the lightest of winds.

If you elect to go with a cambered sail, it becomes much more important to match it with the ideal recommended mast. While the same can also be said for camless sails, it's much more of an imperative for camber sails, especially because of rotational issues when jibing or tacking.

Lastly, it's not a good idea to use your boom on the maximum settings, particularly if you boom is aluminum. It allows the center of effort (COE) to move around too much in gusty conditions, and it can lead to untoward handling issues. As a light sailor using larger sails, the result can be very unsettling. If you're short on dollars, go for a new aluminum boom that would use no more than 50% of your potential extension length.
Joris00

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked some more details for my gear:
Mast: Neil Pryde integrated rig, slalom, constant flex, carbon 25%, center of gravity 45%, IMCS 25, 2.45kg
Boom: 137-198cm
Mast extension: 7"/18cm
Fin: Freeride pro select, 42cm

So I should get at least a new boom and a fin.
I don't mind spending a few bucks, my main concern is not to collect a ton of gear, it takes space in my apartment, and can be a bit harder to transport (my 460cm mast fits right inside my sedan, a 490cm I might have to put on the roof, etc.).

Anyway, thanks again for your suggestions!
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I would really think about a new mast too. Your 25% carbon NP mast is very likely old, heavy and less responsive, particularly in a larger sail. Really a new 75% carbon 460cm is the right call for a 7-7.5 sail. I checked the Sailworks website, and the both the 7.0 and 7.5 Retros have an open ended (adjustable) luff sleeve, and a 460 is cited the ideal recommended mast. With the new mast, you'll also notice improved performance when matched on your present 5.7 Ezzy sail.
konajoe

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler made a good point. If you buy an Ezzy Infinity, there should be a bunch of extra plastic camber inducers and other stuff in a pocket in the sail bag. Those are needed for different mast diameters
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your urgent need is for a 7.5 and a boom big enough to hold it. Something spanning the 190 - 240 cm range ought to do that with room to spare.

A sexy new mast would be nice, but I don't think that's an urgent need for you, since your NP 460 ought to work fine in most camless freeride sails like the sailworks retro or the ezzy cheetah.

I actually think the 42 cm fin will be perfect for your light weight and your 7.5 sail, so no urgent need for a new fin.

Get out there and shred!

swchandler

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that we have to remember that Joris00's wind target is 10mph or less. While the 42cm fin will do pretty well in 14-15mph, it will be pretty wimpy in 10mph. A bigger fin will offer a improved performance in really light wind. The idea is optimizing the two power sources, the sail and the fin, in concert together.

I know that I'm not alone in using a fin quiver to better balance both the upper and lower wind ranges of a sail quiver. I think many folks forget that different sized fins, like sails, offer distinct advantages. When you think about it, one can find that a fin change instead of a sail change can often be a quick easy solution to improve performance.
Joris00

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up buying (another) Ezzy Infinity, 7.5. Most of the stuff at the swap meet was old, so not a huge choice... and this looked decent quality.
And a 100% carbon 460 mast Neil Pryde, RacePro, seemed good condition and price... and new boom, of course.

Thanks again, guys!

swchandler, I saw this a little late, but I will consider a new fin in future (maybe next swap meet in a few months).
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you scored. Let us know how everything works out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: