myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global Iwindsurf poll.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Georges

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Global Iwindsurf poll. Reply with quote

Just wondering how many peeps are actually using the Global version of
Iwindsurf ?

I find it too graphic intensive for my phone & a bit convoluted when looking for a quick update...

Your opinion matters Smile

Yes ? No? Maybe so? Let us know !!
boracayboardhead

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it sometimes to see what's happening at inland sites that are not on the "regular" site.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no use for it. I'm not going to jump in my van and drive to Teneriffe or Hatteras from Washington state just because it's blowing thousands of miles away. On iwap, I can get all the current wind data I have any use for with one tap on one icon in less than one second. Tap. Done.
windsurfmama

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: iglobal Reply with quote

I don't use it on my phone so no big deal. I just view from my computer since I'm not on the road a lot. I do like it. I dream of a Bonaire trip and can review the best months of the year....apparently Winter is the best time. It helped me determine my La Ventana trip a few years back too. Timing is everything.
geohaye

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic, good ol' www.iWindsurf.com is here to stay, so no worries for everyone who prefer it.

As boracayboardhead pointed out, Global.iwindsurf.com and the iWindsurf iPhone and Android apps cover inland areas of North America that never made it into the original regional maps: Lake Tahoe in depth, Lake McC in Neb, Cheney Lake, and 1000 other examples. But also major areas like the Great Lakes all have much better weather station coverage. And many windsurfers are now checking their local windspeeds in Europe, Australia/NZ, S. Africa, etc, which of course is not possible on Classic iW.

As windsurfmama mentioned, the deeper wind statistics on the global website are really keen -- for everywhere from Swell City, Kalmus, Avon, Anita Rock, and Lake Isabella, to Bonaire, Brouwersdam and St Kilda Harbour.
Georges

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a weatherflow wind meter owner I find it unfortunate that the data generated and onsight info from my meter cannot be seen on the classic web page.
Is there a workaround for that issue? Gman.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the global configuration as a more defined source for my home area. Like the old beta configuration used to, the global site shows far more wind sites.

Over the years, I have ventured beyond the well known sites covered by the iWindsurf sensors, so I've found that with the global configuration you have a much better idea what's going on. Also, many non-windsurf sites gives you data on the conditions or trends that affect spots where no sensors exist.
geohaye

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georges, the onsite reports generated by the weatherflow wind meter represent new technology that exclusively works with the new website and mobile apps.Plotting those data points onto the classic maps is not practical in terms of the technology involved.

The solution is to bookmark the page on global iWindsurf that has the onsite reports in your area, such as:
http://global.iwindsurf.com/map#37.725,-122.156,9,12

...and keep that bookmark handy along with your favorite bookmarks to classic iW.

georges wrote:
As a weatherflow owner I find it unfortunate that the data generated and onsight info from my meter cannot be seen on the classic web page.
Is there a workaround for that issue? Gman.
victor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use the bay area map on iwindsurf of sites around the bay

i use windalert to see what's happening in the world outside the bay area.

i find the model forecasts to be pretty accurate by adding 5 mph.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: