myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What are your local rules for windsurfing and kiting? Kanaha
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeff_bennett64

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate all the constructive responses. Unfortunately, they're not quite what I was looking for. I guess I didn't word my question precisely enough. I did say "We need examples of rules that have been working to promote harmony between windsports users and other water and shoreline users," but I think a lot of people didn't read past "What are your local rules governing windsurfing and kitesurfing? Kanaha needs your help!"

In this case, we (windsports) get lumped together - the other users can't tell us apart - and we're working together to try to maintain access for both groups.

I'm looking for local rules for beach & water harmony with OTHER USER GROUPS. I'll start a new thread with that title. (I tried changing the title of this thread but kept getting a "general error" so I think it can't be done.)

Thanks again. I appreciate the honesty, humor, good will, and good intentions of your responses.

Karen
QueNeo

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In this case, we (windsports) get lumped together - the other users can't tell us apart - and we're working together to try to maintain access for both groups.

Seriously?

Other users can't tell the difference between windsurfing and kiting?

I doubt that very much. And even if that is the case, it's up to us to show them the differences.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Seriously?

I doubt that very much."

Actually, it's true, particularly when you're on the beach with your equipment. Many folks are confused by the two sports, and don't look at the details too closely. It's hard to believe, but I run into the situation often.
QueNeo

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
"Seriously?

I doubt that very much."

Actually, it's true, particularly when you're on the beach with your equipment. Many folks are confused by the two sports, and don't look at the details too closely. It's hard to believe, but I run into the situation often.

Well, it's simple.

Let me spell it out.

One sport can injure non participants, the other can't.

That's why the OPs attempt to lump them together into one fake category for legal / access purposes is not appreciated.

If it wasn't for that, I could care less.
Riptide

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What works is getting the Alpha male kite boarders and windsurfers to set the example for others to follow, if the local sailors who seem to be the leader of the pack do the right thing, other will do the same.

Also having volunteer site stewards, on the beach in two hour shifts handing out the recommended guidelines etc. with some quasi official authority works.
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="QueNeo"]
swchandler wrote:
"Seriously?

One sport can injure non participants, the other can't.

Windsurfing is not entirely hazard-free to non-participants. It certainly poses less of a hazard than kite lines, runaways, etc. but hazards must be acknowledged. In areas with diverse beach activities, one must look out for swimmers and snorkelers.

Windsurf gear left unattended even for a few moments on a family beach, can attract kids who try to stand on the board or handle the sail. That can go bad quickly if the wind is blowing.

Windsurfing in water less than shoulder depth, can attract bystanders in the water. The most annoying instance that I have experienced was at Bonaire, where cruise ship visitors are sent over by van to Lac Bay (2-3 years ago, perhaps the situation has changed). Their beach chair rental and beer consumption help to support the windsurf concessions, but can generate a retinue of varyingly drunk people in the water, some of whom seem to want to cause a nuisance.

Fortunately, at my principal sailing site, the beach is tiny and mucky and the water is too cold to attract any use apart from clam digging, and terrain and power lines compel kiteboarders to launch from the opposite side of the harbor. There are one or two who get big air and occasionally do tricks like jumping channel markers, but they appear to be highly skilled and possessed of good enough judgment not to do much of this when other people are on the water.

The road just above the site sees a lot of tourist traffic, and most of the passers-by who I talk to there, do not know the difference between kiteboarding and windsurfing. Usually they'll point to a kite and say "windsurfing".
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes run the beach at contests and it is usual for a sail to fly away and hit someone.
At our home break we have swimmers in the water who have been hit so often by boards there was a Trip advisor warning about us.
The Tako divers at Kanaha have their own time in the water when we are banned. Those who dive at other times are at considerable risk at that site.
QueNeo

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh please, children.
SAS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one big problem is the waveriding right of way rules. Take this from the response from Alameda Boardsports:

"the rider surfing the wave has priority over the one who is jumping or going in the opposite direction."

The same is on the Maui Kiteboarding assn site:

"The outgoing Kiteboarder gives way to the incoming kiteboarder. Situation: When riding out through the surf you are going to cross paths with the incoming kiter on the wave.
Definition: In a wave area, the rules apply. The kiter coming in is riding the wave. and collision is imminent. The outgoing Kiter must give way,and not ruin the incoming kiters ride (or put him in jeopardy).

What to do: The outgoing kiter should avoid riding out through the peak (waveriding zone). If you cannot go around the zone, then you must either stop, steer around, or go the other way to avoid the kiter riding the wave. It depends which way the kiter is riding the wave."

This is the opposite of what we windsurfers go by.

We give the ROW to the sailor going out (although the sailor going out should do everything possible to move out of the way of someone on a wave so he or she doesn't mess up the other person's wave ride).

This creates dangerous situations. About 5 years ago I was heading out through the surf at Kanaha. A kiter was riding in. I saw him and headed way downwind to try to give him wave space. However, as many kiters do on waves, he used up all this wave space in a flash. His lines came and smacked my rig, and then as he fell his board came flying by my head. Luckily we and our equipment were both OK. He said he had the ROW and because of that he didn't even see me, thinking he didn't even have to look. His attitude was that he had the ROW, so why does he need to avoid anyone else?

This wasn't a problem years ago when the kiters stayed in the zones designated for them on kiting kanaha maps, but now these maps are regularly ignored and not enforced. It is important that all users in a given area use the same ROW rules.
MauiMakani

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely agree. There are many good reasons why wavesailing venues have always given ROW to the rider going out. As in the previous post, I had the exact same situation at Kanaha last year. I was going out, saw a kiter coming in and pinching upwind along a swell. I headed way off downwind intending to give him plenty of room and avoid the danger of crossing under his lines. He then dropped his kite into a long bottom turn, and his lines took out me and my sail. Then he yelled at me that he had right of way so it was my fault. A few other times I have been bobbing out through good sized surf in light winds sunk up to my ankles with little or no forward speed or maneuverability, and had kites, lines, and kiteboards land right on top of me as they came in on a wave. One time I stayed upright when the kite landed on me, but then the kite lines wrapped around me and took me out as it relaunched itself. I was taken out by kite lines a total of four times just last year, usually while slowly bobbing out through the surf.
The universal and historical theme covering right of way for all water craft has always been based on the craft with more speed and maneuverability having to yield to the craft with less. There is no question that the rider coming in on a wave often has more maneuverability and more safe options than the rider going out. This priority is based on safety rather than giving the more maneuverable craft an unencumbered right to rip. Like the previous post said, if the outgoing rider has maneuverability, he should do his best to give the incoming rider maximum freedom to ride the wave. However, since the incoming rider will almost always have more maneuverability and more safe options, he must be the one responsible for avoiding any collisions. This is the only reasonable choice if safety is acknowledged as the priority. If ripping the wave rather than safety is the priority, then that rider may not be ready to safely mix with others in the surf or any other environment. Bottom turning into an outgoing rider or forcing him into taking a mast high lip on the head and risk destroying gear does not show the kind of respect that any mature waterman should bring into a lineup.
If kitesurfers choose to ride in established wavesailing venues, the most basic respect would be to acknowledge the historical ROW rules in those areas that are based on time tested safety protocol. You cannot move into a town with one-way streets, and then announce that the new rule is to drive against the arrows.
As a side note, the argument that the incoming ROW rule should be copied from surfing does not hold up. Wind powered surfers have far more maneuverability than a surfer when coming in on a wave, and can easily avoid someone and still make it to a chosen lip or around a section. Outgoing wind riders do not have the option of fully duck diving under a large wave, and are stuck on or near the surface where they and their equipment are much more at risk.
A couple of years ago I brought this up in a letter to the Ocean Safety Officers (Lifeguards) at Kanaha, but the posted kitesurfing ROW rules on Maui have not yet changed. Perhaps someone in the kiting community on Maui (or the lifeguards) could take a look at this before the next person has the kite relaunch with the lines wrapped around his neck instead of just his legs as in my case. Lets all agree that safety should be the priority.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: