myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Does low boom equates to wrong sail design
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen!

-Craig

westender wrote:
Set your boom to a height that gives you the most control and let er rip.
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to put things in perspective...

I keep lowering my boom on my power wave sail and getting dangerously close to bottoming out on the cutout opening! I'm 5'8" and ride a shoulder to neck boom height.

Same height corresponds to middle of cutout on my old north wave sail.

So maybe I should start thinking about dropping the power of the power wave business and get myself a sail more suited to my wimpy 152lbs?
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm able to rig my power wave sails for my 110 pound 5'3 wife. What sail are you on? Can you post a photo of it rigged? Also FYI there is no "danger" in the boom being at the bottom of the cut out. The cut out reflects the appropriate range of boom heights.

manuel wrote:
Well to put things in perspective...

I keep lowering my boom on my power wave sail and getting dangerously close to bottoming out on the cutout opening! I'm 5'8" and ride a shoulder to neck boom height.

Same height corresponds to middle of cutout on my old north wave sail.

So maybe I should start thinking about dropping the power of the power wave business and get myself a sail more suited to my wimpy 152lbs?

isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen this?
http://www.boardseekermag.com/gear-reviews/5-3m-power-wave-sails-2012

An excerpt: "you may as well stop reading if you weigh less than 85kg, as these power wave sails are not for you. But is this really the case?"

As the discussion implies, why not just use a bigger sail if you need more power, use a smaller one if you need more control, or work on controlling bigger sails? Much of the latter option has to do with one's confidence (and, of course, a good sail tuned right) and preferences.

Then there's the question of what you're trying to achieve by lowering your booms so much.
westender

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel, do you have your sail rigged as low as it will go?? I know some people make a big deal of that end plating thing, or not so much for waves?

I would get a different sail that has the cutout in the position you like.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boom attachment height DOES affect sail performance slightly, if for no other reason than the boom head acts as a fulcrum for mast flex. Whether this is worth more than spit, who knows?

Boom height clearly affects sailor comfort and performance, and sometimes what is blamed on sail performance really is a function of our own stance. For example, a boom attached higher or lower on the mast can affect harness line tension tremendously. Without moving the clew higher, a higher mount on the mast will reduce line pressure by effectively dropping the boom when the sail is swept back. Some sailors might shorten harness lines, while others then might move the mast foot back to flatten out the boom angle, when the better adjustment for all might be to attach the boom to a higher clew grommet. That change alters sail performance characteristics (tighter leach) and may make gust handling and reaching more challenging.

I think the idea behind a lower boom for wave riding is sheeting power as a horizontal boom offers the greatest leverage. In contrast, a higher boom often allows easier and better jumps since we can hang off the higher boom more easily than a lower boom. For slalom and FW, assuming that the mast foot is properly set, a higher boom offers greater flexibility of control in a wider range of apparent wind conditions, while a lower boom may lock in the sailor in more consistent apparent wind conditions. Translated, higher booms in light wind, lower booms in high wind, but all within the range that matches the importance of pumping.

manuel

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any photo. Should have some soon. For testing I raised the boom 1cm and it didn't help at all. Anything higher and it feels uncomfortable.
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding a 2013 Goya Eclipse, I'm still quite low inside the cutout. Therefore, I'm now certain that current sail design is labeling me as short. A sad day really.

On the sail, it says boom height = shoulder height or higher. For me, if I ride higher than shoulder height, I put my shoulders at risk of impingement similarly to doing dumbbell raises too high. I like to have my arms at 90° with my body. Plus, shoulder height on the beach seems to translate to a bit higher in the water (legs being slightly bent when sailing).

In regards to the power delivery, the pull isn't anywhere near the pull from my old Alpha sail. It is much more manageable and less physical. The Alpha rode smoother though while the Eclipse moves around a bit more but it's smaller so it's normal to have a bit more twitch to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: