myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hood River July 4th week- advice needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westender

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's sailable wind in the Gorge, a 145lb guy doesn't need a 6.5. If it's blowing 3.5 my suggestion is that you don't try it. Home Valley has a campground and sailing you might like, plus a nice deli across Hwy 14.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget Mosier with the family, as the bugs will likely eat them alive there.
WMP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Home Valley can offer you a great option if the water level is lower than it is now. The wind line is difficult to reach when the water level is high.

There's three options for camping that are within 5 minutes of the beach and launch. Home Valley offers a decent swimmers beach with sand (rare in the Gorge) for your wife and child to view your water adventures. Hopefully the county will mow the weeds and berries at the launch site before the 4th.

PM me if interested and I can give you much more info.
summertime

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be forewarned that at Home Valley the trains seem the loudest to me. REALLY loud ! Maybe because they are at the same elevation/level of campsites whereas at Memaloose they are down a slope and sl. farther away. But that little sandy beach area is nice at Home Valley. You can't be guaranteed there will be other windsurfers there though to keep an eye on you and for camaraderie. Memaloose is nice but after 5 or 6 nights the usual train horn rude awakening once or twice a night gets grating. Tucker is the quietest campgrounds I think. You're on or near the Hood River but only about a quarter of the sites have views of the river. I have always avoided Viento because there's tons of poison oak. Ainsworth doesn't have very many sites but it's farther away from the train tracks than the other Columbia R. campgrounds are. You actually can reserve at Memaloose (online) and if they are full they let some people stay at the overflow grassy area. 3 or us showed up late on a Fri. or Sat. on 4th of July weekend once and they let us stay at overflow so I think you will find something. Don't know if other state parks reserve but I think they would. Homewood and Ainsworth are fairly close to Stevenson which is great for beginner and intermediate windsurfers. There are advanced WS'ers that love it there too but the point is- it's quite safe. The river is wide there so very little current and there is lots of space separating kiters and windsurfers. There's also a lot of really friendly regular windsurfers. The wife and kid could be out of the wind while watching you. There's no windsurf shops out that way so be sure to have what you need for the day. Good luck and have fun.
eastland

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: 4.2, 5.0, 5.8 Reply with quote

I've sailed the Gorge for 20 years, weigh 165 and my most used sails are 4.2, 4.7, and 5.2. You have a bigger spread with 4.2, 5.0, 5.8 but should be fine. Windance does rent gear, new board with 4 sails for $60/day $355 week. They have pictures of all their consignment gear online too. Viento, Maryhill, Memaloose will definitely be full. Tucker is quieter, but Home Valley has a nice family beach. Sounds like you should be windsurfing at Stevenson or Hood River Waterfront park (the best place for your family). There is a launch at the park or 500 yards west at the Hook. Monday and Tuesday the Gorge should be dead but the coast will be windy. You should think about Floras Lake on your way up, or Florence to Manzanita if you are up to ocean wave sailing. Many times in the summer the waves are small and if you have trouble they are side-on so you'll be pushed back onto the beach. I have some 12 year old wave gear with me at Manzanita if you want to come by and try it. It's not getting any use since I started kiting too a couple years ago. 4.7 or 5.2 with 85L board are the usual coast setup. Can't recommend Floras lake enough, perfect place to learn to kite too.
doug_needs_wind

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite campground in the central gorge is "Wishbone", out at Lyle (washington side, take a left just west of town as you are heading East, go up the hill for 5 minutes, look for signs). No trains, awesome view (you can park on the edge of the bluff overlooking the river), friendly host John Murphy, frisbee golf, NEVER full (even on the 4th), showers/flush toilet (5 minute walk from camp spots), porta potty right at the camping plateau.

The only down side is the 20 minute drive from Hood River, but it is a beautiful drive and this place is awesome. I have never seen it crowded. Most of the other campgrounds seem like Time Square (quantity of people wise) on July 4th weekend.

Be SURE to be at Hood River for the fireworks - awesome show and great vibe.

If the wind goes up out at Roosevelt, GO THERE... that place is fantastic... free camping (though the showers are now locked up by the underfunded Army Corps of Engineers).

Sail advice above is all good (skip the 6+).

Personally, I'd suggest 1) Event site, 2) Doug's beach, and 3) Roosevelt based on what you've said. Maryhill/Wall/Rufus has serious current you should probably avoid.

Welcome!! Have fun!!
eastfork

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget tollbridge campground up near Parkdale on Highway 35
obadiah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as board size goes, I go with Brian Hinde's recommendation. A board that is as many liters as you are kilos. This essentially makes your bouyancy neutral, you can go into fairly high winds and you can slog back. At 155lbs, that would mean about a 70 liter board. Maybe a little bigger based on your description of your ability level.
windanceshop1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave here from WIndance.
Yes we do rent, $60/day gets you 4 sails and a board of your choice.
Anyone can sail the Gorge on this gear provided you can waterstart. Just bring your wetsuit. We won;t rent them, too gross.

See you here.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Rentals Reply with quote

Wow, that is a good rental deal at Windance. This weekend has looked like 5.0-6.5m sailing so far. Maybe it will pick up a little this afternoon. I am going to rig my "new" swap meet 6.3m HiFly sail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: