myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Viento forecasts and reports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuyT

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Viento forecasts and reports Reply with quote

Sunday, July 6 report

Good 6.2 slalom conditions from 7h30 to 10h00, then the wind got funky.

Homemade whole wheat pancakes with real maple sirup were served on site B4 (on invitation only, make friend with the curly French Canadian gal).

Monday, July 7 forecast

Same wind expected, lunch menu unknown.
johnl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got some wind today Guy, It started out with a bang in June, but July hasn't been quite as good. So do I know this curvy French Canadian gal? Cool
GuyT

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
Glad you got some wind today Guy

Got some more in Stevenson in the afternoon, 6.2 again.

By the way, there was this young kid (maybe 12) that went sailing as I was coming out in Viento. He is going to be pretty good, I tell you.

And yes, you know Curly Curvy Wink
starfish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Just say NO Reply with quote

Just say no to 6.0. Its against hood river law sail that light of wind. Yes dam it may and early june was pretty good. Now this stuff.
hilton08

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Just say NO Reply with quote

starfish wrote:
Just say no to 6.0. Its against hood river law sail that light of wind. Yes dam it may and early june was pretty good. Now this stuff.

It looks like the July wind should be back to normal by Wednesday.

77.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.61 KB
 Viewed:  9749 Time(s)

77.gif

GuyT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARNING: Gorge Sailors that don't consider that being a 6.0 on a 100L board can not be categorized as windsurfing, don't read this post, you will find it offensive.

Seriously, I believe that Viento is the most underrated spot in The Gorge. Believe it or not, I get exited when I read a forecast on IWindsurf that calls for a "light wind most of the day, with a 16-20 mpg LATE in the corridor".

That usually means that I'll get a great 18-22 mph morning session in Viento: steady winds, uncrowded, perfect freeride conditions. But, hey, freestylers could even enjoy it. Like my friend Idriss from Montreal who obviously didn't know that Viento is for intermediates only:

That was taken last this Saturday, while it was blowing 8 mph at Swell City. A bit earlier, I was on a 5.7/100L board while L.A. Richard was on a 5.0/80L board. I don't think anybody got that anywhere else on the river that day.

For some reason that I never understood, I noticed that the few people that sail in Viento get in the water just before the wind gets funky, that's usually around 11:30 or so.

So, you ought to try a Viento morning session (say from 8 to 11) when they call for light westerlies. Some of you may actually enjoy it.

[/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: