myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why I Prefer Windsurfing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikecole

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A surfer first. A kiter second. It shows in this video. Super nice kid, humble and unassuming. Proud to share the waves with him at Jalama... I love to windsurf. Others love to kite. We all get along when there is respect for the venue, the conditions and each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nOobNGqKEU

Mike
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I normally expect to see when expert kitesurfers are out riding the wavs of Wads and .... is that a glimpse of Dillon?
You work the kite to keep tension when you bottom turn, and it becomes second nature like sheeting in to bottom turn on a windsurfer, so maintain edge hold and give you a rebound off the lip later.
D-wo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikecole wrote:
A surfer first. A kiter second. It shows in this video. Super nice kid, humble and unassuming. Proud to share the waves with him at Jalama... I love to windsurf. Others love to kite. We all get along when there is respect for the venue, the conditions and each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nOobNGqKEU

Mike

Like.

gerritt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
That's what I normally expect to see when expert kitesurfers are out riding the wavs of Wads and .... is that a glimpse of Dillon?
You work the kite to keep tension when you bottom turn, and it becomes second nature like sheeting in to bottom turn on a windsurfer, so maintain edge hold and give you a rebound off the lip later.

Me too. And no, I'm not biased against kiters. However, when it gets big and goes side-off, I prefer windsurfing. In big side off conditions, most of the vids I have seen, it appears the kite acts to pull the riders out back and they get lifted off the wave face. I might be wrong, but that's what it looks like. I recall a vid where Kai Lenny was riding Jaws and actually let go of the kite in order to stay with the wave. Of course, he had sponsors and a chase ski to save his bacon once the ride was over.

Luckily, we don't see too many kiters at the spot that cannot be named. I've actually helped a couple of guys pull their kites safely into the beach when they ventured too far inside and could not re-launce in the flukey side-off winds. I reminded both, that this is why kites generally steer clear of the place. That and the fact its simply not a cool move to invade the one remaining spot that is not polluted with kite lines.

I've also watched the kites struggle on the rare, big, side-off Scott's days as well. They just cannot seem to drop in without getting pulled up and out back. When the kite lines begin to cross into the wave, it appears to make it nearly impossible to ride without fighting against the kite. Again, this is my impression and I might be wrong.

At Waddell, I'm seeing more and more kites up at shotguns. Rather than get pissed, I simply see it as an invitation to ride in front of the creek mouth. Most of the kiters there are excellent and know the rules. The one that go straight (or backside left and straight) and sit just below you, wondering what it means when someone yells, "Go! Go!," drive me crazy. But then again, there are plenty of windsurfers that do the same.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just at PSC where it was logo to mast high every day. I windsurfed and my buddy kited. He was able to stay on the water longer than me. However, the launch is tough there. Just like Maui, Hookipa and the north shore are almost off limits to kiters. Sadly, the camp was empty on the 4th of July weekend. Most of the time only a couple of kiters and windsurfers were on the water. Everyone ripped it up!!

My analysis: 1st, Hookipa virtually doesn't allow kiting. San Carlos is a very tough launch and a merciless breakdown if it happens. Secos and some other spots require you launch and ride upwind or downwind. All require some launching and landing assistance. Jalama, Zeros and Broad Beach in Malibu are world class launching and kiting venues.

2nd, kiters kill it on small to medium surf in moderate wind. However, when the wind and surf kick into epic proportions, I think we have the advantage. Launching advantage. Access advantage. Speed and thrill advantage. This only happens 30% of the time IMO.

3rd, I find windsurfers to be nicer on the water in general. However one of my best buddy's is a kiter. I know anecdotally this is true. But then again, during my broken ankle incident a local kiter jumped in to help! I think that some kiters just like to show off to windsurfers. They get cocky after 20 wave and don't want to share their 21st wave. That is probably just human nature. They do have a big advantage in "real world sailing", but I still prefer windsurfing. Laughing
victor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there seems to be much more animosity windsurfer to kiter than the other way around. in fact, kiters don't seem to to really care one way or the other.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor wrote:
there seems to be much more animosity windsurfer to kiter than the other way around. in fact, kiters don't seem to to really care one way or the other.

Kiters have more power. Power corrupts......it's human nature. It doesn't corrupt them all. However, a few bad apples upset the beehive. If you've ever been to a point break where both are sailing in light wind, you'll quickly see why some windsurfers resent some kiters.
frablink17

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the kiter who is upwind and takes the wave. I think to myself, "great, upwind kiter took the wave, I will take this nice one behind it." Kiter proceeds to do a couple of lippers but you see him looking at your wave and you know what they are thinking. Instead of finishing the last half or more of their wave, they kick out, come up your wind, and turn on to the wave just as it is getting ready to go. Then have the nerve to call me off or clog me with low kite passes. Maybe I am wrong, but this situation irritates the hell out of me.
victor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, power corrupts. some people do stuff just because they can.

if you ride waves doesn't that come with the territory?

surfers have the same issue with windsurfers, SUPers or anyone else even close to their break and they're usually not too nice about it.

Last edited by victor on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
megalodonzero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a f***king big wave. strait line down the face or not you need some balls to charge that thing. yeah would had been nice to see the kiter carve a turn but he's out there deep in it not dieing. i dont know if i have the confidence to tackle that monster on my kite.

when it's off shore like that and the kite is on the back side of the wave, if one of those lines touches the lip it's bad news. the friction at that speed would cause the kite to instantly to turn which ever line touches first. (strait down into the water)

i dont think you can bash the guy for playing it safe. big wave kite riding is still pretty new while windsurfing has been around for decades.

i would had liked to see the kiter ramp that thing strait on, probably would had gotten 60ft of air no problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: