myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
and the winner is ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katosandog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: and the winner is ... Reply with quote

the joy of wind

IMGP0342.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.38 MB
 Viewed:  12603 Time(s)

IMGP0342.jpg

IMGP0338.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1008.08 KB
 Viewed:  12625 Time(s)

IMGP0338.jpg

IMGP0339.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.12 MB

IMGP0339.jpg

IMGP0346.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  687.75 KB

IMGP0346.jpg

haywood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see more of this pictures with the boats racing last night and share them with the racing fleet.

The race hammered up to Mitchell Point and back.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once blew by a fleet of round-bottomed sailing tubs on a huge NM lake.
Then the wind backed way off.
I sunk and lay in the water.
They sat on their deck chairs swilling beer and gobbling brats as they sailed slowly away.
The joy of volume.
merriam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing... about in boats — or with boats. In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not.

From "Wind in the Willows"
ramps

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once got run over by a sailboat - I had thought I was going fast enough so I foolishly cut in front of one as it was pinching upwind. Next thing I knew I was being dragged under water, feeling the slime on the bottom of the hull with my hand. It spit me out after a few seconds, with a snapped boom but not a scratch on my person. The people aboard the boat were looking pretty shocked. I was extremely lucky. Needless to say, I now steer well clear of all watercraft.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I once blew by a fleet of round-bottomed sailing tubs on a huge NM lake.
Then the wind backed way off.
I sunk and lay in the water.
They sat on their deck chairs swilling beer and gobbling brats as they sailed slowly away.
The joy of volume.

I once opened a thread on iwindsurf that had some excellent photos and a nice sentiment.
Then I read one of the posts that followed.
I thought to myself, What does this post have to do with the excellent photos and the nice sentiment?
The poster rattled on about himself and said nothing about the photos or the sentiment.
The annoyance of narcissism.

Cool photos and a great perspective! Thanks.
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramps wrote:
I once got run over by a sailboat - I had thought I was going fast enough so I foolishly cut in front of one as it was pinching upwind. Next thing I knew I was being dragged under water, feeling the slime on the bottom of the hull with my hand. It spit me out after a few seconds, with a snapped boom but not a scratch on my person. The people aboard the boat were looking pretty shocked. I was extremely lucky. Needless to say, I now steer well clear of all watercraft.

While ROW rules are cool to discuss, size and mass also can make their point. Glad you didn't get injured. Be thankful they don't take better care of their boat and clean the hull better Cool
dhanson928

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: If you'd like to see some spectacular sailing..... Reply with quote

....in Big Boats, google around and get some footage of the Volvo Ocean Race, round the world race... Talk about swell riding!...but at 40+knots and on 50' swells, in ice cold water, thousands of miles from civilization, 24hrs a day, it's on! Here's a link to get you started..

I have 'surfed' a 50' sailboat....It IS pretty serious stuff and really fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBQXt7QnnXk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: