myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ode to the bay...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Georges

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Ode to the bay... Reply with quote

Mid way through my yearly stint in the gorge I cannot help but reflect
On the brown water of home the sf bay...
Don't get me wrong this place has it all, wind, swell, beauty, lots of alternative sports,it's a given...you know that when you come here..

But the bay our beautiful bay requires effort, the effort of launching over fragments of rip rap a broken beer bottle or two,looking past the ugly towards the reward that stretches out before you....a good day on the bay is earned in traffic and stop lights and tolls and one mile slogs to the wind line...

Us who have learned to enjoy its reward are a fraction of a percent of its population. We carry a smile and a grin that few in the area know as they drive over its bridges gazing over its edge at colorful sails.... wondering what it must feel like to ride the wind. We know....us lucky few...we know

The gorge is a beautiful place it has captured my interest for 14 summers.
But the bay and it's sailors have my utmost respect....you earned it with every
Stop light.

A boy from the bay...Gman.

Last edited by Georges on Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
katosandog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this post for a few days. You have captured the sentiment of not only Bay area sailors, but anybody who comes to the Gorge and leaves behind a local scene that they value.

I did have the good fortune of sailing in the Bay area, but just a single trip. One day we launched from Treasure Island, and I have a vivid memory of my friend on some swell with Alcatraz behind him that I wish I had captured with a camera. It was outstanding and made the battle through six lanes of traffic worth it.

BTW, as somebody who is getting long in the tooth, I cringed when I read about your yearly "stent". Hopefully, not an unconsciousness Freudian slip!
Georges

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes my cardiologist says a yearly visit for hydro therapy is a must Wink
windmaddness

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love your post!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: