myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Larkspur Water Hazard Alert
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Larkspur Water Hazard Alert Reply with quote

I am passing this info along from Bob who frequently sails and paddles at Larkspur. Be on the look out for small buoys and other markings due south of the Ferry channel, offshore of the marsh extending down toward Paradise Drive (see map below). This maps is rough estimate of where the project buoys are located but I will post a more accurate map when I get ahold of it.

This project is an effort to establish shallow reef habitat using small concrete structures placed on the bottom. The idea is to see if small blocks can act as underwater shore protection and create new habitat -rather than the usual approach of stacking rock riprap on all of our shores. This approach, called a "living shoreline" has been widely used on the east coast but is new to SF Bay. This particular installation is a project of San Francisco State University and NOAA and was started about two weeks ago -early July - with problems associated with the buoys not entirely visible. Apparently, several kiters have hit the buoys and or have gotten tangled with the lines attached to them. The students working on the project are planning to install new more visible buoys.

Larkspur subtidal project area.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  146.61 KB
 Viewed:  16927 Time(s)

Larkspur subtidal project area.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, we sailed there last week, both up thru and S of the orange trapezoid, but at high tide around 4.5 up to 6, and didn't see or hit anything.
Kiter's were out early, around 3, at the lower tides, but came in before we launched.
Guess we were lucky.
tomg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slight correction to the post, the project does not involve the concrete blocks, rather they are hanging bags of eel grass material under the buoys and (here is the good news) it is temporary: the floats will be gone in 1-2 months. The point is to "seed" the bed with eel grass and see if it takes.
victor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tong, you had me scared with the "concrete blocks" damn, eel grass would be enough to curtail sailing.

several years ago another organization attempted to reintroduce eel grass in the same general area. that time it was well marked. within two years all traces of that attempt were completely gone.

as pointed out by mac last year in a thread about the albany beach restoration (http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=202705) eel grass does best in areas with a sandy bottom. also important is clear water. anyone that has ever sailed larksewer knows that no such habitat exists there. the reintroduction project in bodega bay, however, was very successful.

maybe someone should clue in the braniacs at sf state and noaa.
tomg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attached is some more info about the project and a more accurate map

Capture eel grass p1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.87 KB
 Viewed:  16437 Time(s)

Capture eel grass p1.JPG

Capture eel grass p2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.23 KB
 Viewed:  16437 Time(s)

Capture eel grass p2.JPG

razdog00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not ready to commit to weed fins just yet.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday, used a 38 blade with my 109 SuperSport, not a hint of grass or weed, and we sailed up well above (South) of the eel grass anchors. It was around a 2.0 tide. Other guys with 50 cm fins didn't see any grass.
Yesterday, our contractor sailed Larkspur with a 38 fin and didn't mention any need for weed or smaller fins.
jse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Sunday, used a 38 blade with my 109 SuperSport, not a hint of grass or weed, and we sailed up well above (South) of the eel grass anchors. It was around a 2.0 tide. Other guys with 50 cm fins didn't see any grass.
Yesterday, our contractor sailed Larkspur with a 38 fin and didn't mention any need for weed or smaller fins.

Nobody's gonna need a weed fin for a long time, even if the seeding works. These are just small plots. It will take years (even if successful) for these to spread to the point of needing a weed fin at Larkspur.

Steve
victor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hazard is not the weeds but what they are attached to. buoys and ropes or something.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone said Helmsey hit something sailing about a foot from one of the black markers upwind at Larkspur. He didn't go catapult, but came close.
I mentioned I sailed there 3 weeks ago, no problems, but that was at a higher tide.
I tend to give buoys and such at least 3' of clearance, just because I"m timid and safety conscious.
If you look at the tide charts for this past weekend, tides were around 1.6-2.3 during the hours we sailed, 4-6.
Any lower, and there isn't water to sail in up near those markers.
As is, 2.0 tides leaves about 16" of water somewhat near the tules, and while I can plane thru every jibe in that depth, it's certainly NOT adviseable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: