myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Do you think a different board would help with carve jibes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scargo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say, it's hard to know whether the smaller board will help or not. It won't bounce as much, which might encourage you to keep the hammer down as you bear off and initiate the carve. On the other hand, I'll never forget the day I nailed 10 planing jibes in a row on my Kona (in flat water on an 8.5). It felt great, but still took a while till I could do the same thing on my 95l board.

You're on the right track with Dasher. In addition to watching it ad infinitim, take notes, and also do the muscle-memory tricks he suggests. I remember doing them between sets at the gym, using an empty barbell as my boom prop, with people wondering what the h kind of tai chi I was practicing.

Another breakthrough happened (before the Kona day) when I forced myself, in way overpowered conditions, to bear off and try to go as fast as possible before crashing. Made myself do it 24 times, and it completely cured me of any anxiety about accelerating into the turn.
rangerider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been doing gps runs downwind - I am at 24 - 27kts, can't say I'm going quite that fast into the jibe but it is close. I tend to bounce as I get straight downwind - keeping knees bent and hips forward is really helping there. I need to work on pulling down on the boom.
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerider wrote:
Thanks for all the tips, it never hurts to hear what was the breakthrough discovery for others. Like I said - I will take all of your advice - watch Dasher repeatedly in the hopes that I will remember each detail each time. .

Something I've learned from teaching physical activities. Most people can remember one or two things. Maybe three. But trying to remember a lot of stuff you are learning in a 5 - 10 second activity will not work. Break down your jibe into the entry, carve, and exit. Work on your entry first (without proper speed you will never plane out). Try to make sure you are doing everything correctly. Then once you are confident with that, then move onto the carve and then the exit. Concentrating on one or two skills each time.

This doesn't mean to not do the rest of the jibe, just don't get focused on it. Focus your attention on doing the part you are working on correctly. I'm sure this is what most video's tell you (the one I watched years ago did) but sometimes we focus on the whole when we should be focusing on the part.....

And having a video or an instructor watch you is big. Many times we THINK we are doing "x" correctly but in reality our perception is biased Cool
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new board won't necessarily help you jibe better, but it could be fun.

Also, that "TMI" stuff is totally true. If you start thinking about what all the different parts of your body are supposed to be doing in the middle of a jibe you're bound to blow it.

As I recall, my first fully-planing jibes were not associated with any big change in gear or technique, but rather with a gradually growing confidence and smoothness that let me "see" and "feel" the whole turn

I make some good ones in this clew-mount video from 2012, though my duck jibes clearly still need some work.

https://vimeo.com/45974407

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out utube. Tony at lake lopez. Its a very lite day with very little wind on the inside. The first turn after the crashed duck gybe is the only one that has enough wind to keep speed. That said, the entry on each turn is good and with some speed. Weight forward and sail sheeted in.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this "pull down on the boom" stuff concerns/puzzles me. It must be correct, as almost every jiber and tutorial mentions it. However, I never bother with it, and doubt I mention it in my tutorial. My successful solution was to get the frigging jibe over with and be on the fully powered new reach before I ever start bouncing/porpoising to begin with. That's more challenging on 140 liters and big sails, but with lower displacement, more speed, tighter arc, more forward and lateral hip thrust, and less coasting time and angle, pulling down on the boom becomes less necessary. My "rebound" comment above was accurate; done right, whether on the flats or off a little piece of chop, it is literally a rebound, much like a pool ball bouncing off a rail. Ya hit it on the incoming broad reach and leave it on the outgoing broad reach, sheeted in and accelerating on the other side of the sail. It's a carve, not a pivot, but its arc and duration are probably 90% shorter than the long, drawn-out jibes shown in tutorial videos.

Should that be your first goal? Of course not, especially at 140L and 7.5m. But neither must we run downwind 'til the cows come home, the porpoises arrive, and the board stops, as a bud tried to convince me was necessary decades ago. I'm guessing he still loses 100 yards of ground in his jibes; my good ones cost me about 10% of that -- significantly less than that in the "rebound" jibes -- and recover it (i.e., cross my incoming path) within 2 or 3 seconds. That's doable on a turny board under maybe 110 liters with a sail under about 6.5 meters, and obviously easier yet under 90L and 5.5m.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerider wrote:
I tend to bounce as I get straight downwind - keeping knees bent and hips forward is really helping there. I need to work on pulling down on the boom.

Everyone bounces as they get straight downwind, which is why planing jibers continue carving right through "6". It's a classic mistake to lighten up on your carve halfway through. If your carve broadens at this point your board will be flat in the water (so you bounce and lose speed). Carve right through "6"...when you bring your front foot across the board plant the heel firmly...don't come down ball-of-foot first (which will stop the carve, flatten the board, get you bouncing, end your chances of a planing exit.)

Keep carving firmly until you're an hour past downwind (at which point you should be catching the boom on the new side.) Downward pressure on the boom is great to help you carry planing speed another second longer (which is often all you'll need if everything else in your jibe is reasonably good, but it's not going to get you planing out once the bounce sequence starts.)

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PP has an avatar that helps illustrate the set up.

lotsa advice here. i learned to do flip jibes first. then ducks, and finally step jibes.

flip jibes force one to flip the sail prior to the kit pointing directly down wind. one should keep the sail ahead at all times. if the sail trails, dead meat.

dasher's videos bring to mind sailing in the 1990's. not so twisty sails being used on long and narrow boards in nuclear aruban winds. clinics teach step jibes first because they can get people thru a jibe dry by the end of the clinic?

andy brandt said to me on a light wind day that i was hurting those around me because i would show that flip jibes could work. why the frowns? because he saw me throwing the sail around early with authority from experience and muscle power. he claimed that not many could do that.

i have guided a few open minds to shelve the step jibe and try the duck jibe instead. nearly every one that actually stuck to it became planing jibers. look up how to do them. try a few each session.

duck jibes are far easier if one would just try them.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
because he saw me throwing the sail around early with authority from experience and muscle power. he claimed that not many could do that.

That sounds like the TTGG method I use. I'm surprised he said that except regarding big sails, say 6.5 and above. I suspect that anyone with the strength to windsurf in planing conditions could do it just fine. If it's difficult, it's being tried too soon or too late. Done at the right time, it feels like there's no sail on the rig's frame. Evidence: the flipped rig just sits there in space, untouched and apparently motionless, waiting to be grabbed and sheeted in, even when we're dramatically overpowered. I did it all one summer with a broken wrist.

Of course, it ain't gonna sit there forever. Smile
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to get everyone to agree on anything on this forum, but I'll try with this statement: All else being equal, it's easier to plane through a jibe on flat water than it is in bumpy conditions.

Agree?

So anything that you can do equipment-wise or technique-wise to make things feel like you are on flatter water will help you plane through a jibe. All else being equal, wider boards bounce more through a turn than narrow boards. In similar style boards, the smaller board will be narrower and easier to jibe.

Another way to make things feel like you're on flatter water is the sharpness or roundness of the rails. Soft railed boards will make the water feel smoother than it actually is.

Now throw in bottom shape. Maybe a slight v in the tail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: