myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jones Beach/Nuke Alley
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Jones Beach/Nuke Alley Reply with quote

I drove by Nuke Alley Sunday, 7/27, pm and saw three sailors on the water. Two of them were doing quite well but appeared to be on very large sails. No one was launching on the WA side. If you were one of them, would you let me know about where the wind registered? Or if someone knows the ratio of real wind to Windonthewater.com readings, I would appreciate that info. It only showed the wind to be blowing 10-12 mph.
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy smoke -- You're looking in the wrong place!

For Jones Beach by far the best available wind info is on iWindsurf:

JONES BEACH LIGHT 8
http://global.iwindsurf.com/spot/93337

Here is a screenshot of that page with SUNDAY highlighted in the archives tool -- this is what the wind was blowing on the water at Jones Beach on Sunday!

Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 3.41.31 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  278.18 KB
 Viewed:  18378 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 3.41.31 PM.png

starfish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We drove to the Washington side on sunday about 6 pm. Was pretty light on the inside. Not a very inviting launch. We then drove east on 4 and took the ferry over the river. Got to jones beach at around 7 p.m.
My buddy steve was on 6.0 and said it was ok. 130 liter board and he weighs about 170.
Got home and checked iwindsurf. It was averaging about 19 mph. It looked too me that you need at least 24 average to make it worth the drive from hood river. Oh well at least we got to ride the ferry.
forwards

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wife and I sailed WA launch Sat ~6-8pm fully to op'd for me@#170 on 5.7m/101L/36cm wife on smaller 4.7m/96L. wotw sensor worthless for this spot, IW sensor pretty accurate now that its on a piling mid-channel. I like to see >20mph avgs at launch time. The WA launch requires walking gear across the busy highway, and has some holes you can get tripped on walking your gear out to the water, otherwise ok and better than the sand blasting and dirt you get parking on the jones side, which is a better kite launch. Concerned that sunday's setup had too much N, so sailed Kalama instead on identical gear from ~noon till ~5 solo until 2 kiters and 1 wsurfer showed up ~2pm.
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And remember to grab iWindsurf Mobile for your phone. You can check the wind from anywhere:
http://m.iwindsurf.com/
whitevan01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about making an iwindsurf app for windows phone?

thank you.
sailon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your helpful, prompt replies. I figured that the northerly wind factored into a larger-than-usual wind-shadow on the WA side. There is also a log underwater in the launch area that I am aware of. But otherwise, the terrain it didn't look too bad. Thanks.
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitevan01 wrote:

thank you.

Make sure to voice your support for an iW app for the Windows phones by emailing support (AT) iwindsurf.com. It's not a simple thing, and we are a small group, so you can understand that we need a certain # of folks clamoring for it before we can start that endeavor.

Last edited by geohaye on Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iWindsurf also reports that other weather station that sailon is talking about, but as you can see there is often a freaking huge difference between that one and the iWindsurf Jones Beach Light station. Shocked

screen shot attached -->

jones.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  273.59 KB
 Viewed:  18313 Time(s)

jones.png

fitek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitevan01 wrote:

thank you.

Second that.

I use the desktop version on my Windows Phone but every once in a while it resets and asks me to download the mobile app. I have to find the link for desktop, after which I get stuck on a map of the United States because I can't scroll to the search box. I've pinned the SFO sensor to my start screen so I can break out of this.

Would recommend using WinJS for 8.1, as it's much easier to develop apps leveraging your existing website's HTML+CSS+JS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: