myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SW Florida Sailing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liv4air

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: SW Florida Sailing Reply with quote

Looking for any tips for windsurfing around Ft Myers/Boca Grande/Naples area. Just moved down here and trying to figure out conditions and sites with good access. Willing to drive to find good wind but fear I am in the marginal wind land. Any suggestions or heads ups greatly appreciated. Feel free to email me at liv4air@yahoo.com, too.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Bonita Springs and sailed today at Wiggins Pass State Park in North Naples. 6.4 sail on a windsurf/paddleboard hybrid. Planed about half the time and rode some small waves. That was a real good sesh for this time of year. Between June and September the wind is mostly single-digits. Even with my formula board and 11.0 sail I'm lucky if I can plane one day out of the week. October through May is a little better, with >10 knots on a more regular basis, and 15+ knots a few times a month with "cold" fronts and such.

Wiggins is my favorite place for windsurfing and paddleboarding when there are waves. If you're not trying to ride waves, then any of the beach access points in the area will work. I like Bonita Beach lot #10 because it has showers, its free with a Lee County parking sticker. That's where I usually go if I'm sailing formula.

The place where you're most likely to see another windsurfer is the Sanibel Causeway. It's a pretty good flatwater spot for any wind direction. I'm not aware of any flatwater spots south of the causeway.

PM me for my number if you want to sail together some time.

-James

geohaye

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a lucky dog in many ways, and I would concentrate on that! Depending on where you're from, you'll need a wider range of gear and in particular a willingness to sail large gear. But you have some terrific spots to sail, some outstanding locals to sail with (you cannot beat d0uglass -- one of the most helpful windsurfers in the United States!), and several great weather stations to watch closely to help you catch the best days on the water.
liv4air

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Sarasota Florida Reply with quote

Thanks for the great info. I noticed there were some mid 20s readings yesterday for a couple of hours at Egmont Channel and high teens at Sarasota Bay(?). How accurate are those and is it worth the drive as far as launches and conditions, in general. I have no problem bringing along my longboard to surf if there is any ankle-snapping swell, too. And was that just a small frontal thing or was it local sea breezes with a little extra to them? Cheers!
d0uglass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday's wind seemed to be more of a "whole Eastern Gulf of Mexico" thing than a seabreeze, but you'd have to ask a meterologist to get the real scoop.

Sarasota/Tampa seem to get more seabreeze and stronger frontal winds than we do further south in Naples/Ft.Myers. But if you're going to drive for wind, going across the state to the East Coast (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Jupiter, etc.) is probably more worth-it more often.

I think the seabreeze can form more naturally in SE Florida as an extension of the tradewinds, which come out of the East. Whereas here in SW Florida the seabreeze direction opposes the tradewind direction.

amarie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visit that area semi regularly due to my parents living there. I second d0uglass's comment on Wiggins. That's my favorite launch I've tried. (Although I agree, strong wind can be hard to come by.) I've had friends over the years who sail Marco by the bridge (looks pretty flat) and Sanibel also, but I've not personally tried those. Maybe time to work on your light wind freestyle? At the very least you have a lot of pretty places to explore, which is fun even if not planing.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put up a mast-mount cam video of that WindSUP session at Wiggins last week.

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2014/08/mast-mount-cam-windsup-session.html

Sailed with liv4air the day after the video but the wind and waves had mostly died down. We'll get another good day eventually.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: