myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What to do with modern car keys.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SPQR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: What to do with modern car keys. Reply with quote

So I'm ready to join the 21st century and drive a newer car/SUV for surfing and windsurfing. Although I have newer vehicles, I always liked the traditional/old style key for my water sports. After locking my 30 year old BMW I put the key (which is on a shoelace) around my neck and under my wetsuit. So what you are people doing with these new electronic keys?
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave ignition electronic keys in the car.
Carry your trunk key, non electric, on a downhaul rope around your neck.
ctuna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: So far the cars I have with fobs have a non electronic key. Reply with quote

So far the cars I have with fobs have a non electronic key.
I have seen some use a water tight pouch on a lanyard stuffed
inside a wetsuit though. I am wondering which new cars don't even have a keyhole. The new Subaru outback has a key pad I have read.
There are some small key safes with a keypad also I have seen hanging from door handles but that is not a stealthy place to put them.

Last edited by ctuna on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much do what zirtaeb does, but some of the newer cars don't even have keyholes, and the keys are entirely electronic. In this case, your best bet is to use a key lockbox. You can hang it from your door handle on most cars. Also, if you have a hitch, there are lock boxes that will go into the hitch receiver.

My van has an all in one key+fob, so I had a standard key made which will unlock the doors but not start the car (no RF chip). I also had a dumb chip key made (about $10) that will start the car but that does not have any of the remote functions... not sure if it's waterproof or not... might be passive RF... only one way to find out I suppose.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.murrays.com/49-2216.html

This is what I use for my Keyless Prius. You can hang it around your neck or put it on your arm.

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not doing what many or most folks do (leave their doors and windows open 24/7), I leave the RF key in the vehicle*, flip the hidden kill switch, and hang a dumb/inert door key around my neck inside my top (aka a Hood River necklace). Back when I lived a van down by the river for months on end, I wore my HR necklace the entire season to avoid locking myself out. It got used once or twice per season.

* Heads up: Experts tell me our OEM ign switch sensors detect our RF keys from quite a distance, and wake up our OEM computers any time we're nearby. This implies that an RF key left in the vehicle not only keeps the computers alert (draining battery power) but also tells them to start the vehicle any time ANY key turns the ign switch. Thus my hidden hard kill switch. That switch on my previous, much dumber, van disabled the ign, the fuel pump, and the starter. On my present, smarter vehicles, the switch immobilizes the engine and honks all the OEM and aftermarket horns, in the hopes that a startled thief will bang his head beneath the dash and fall out of the vehicle to minimize the mess when he bleeds out.
SPQR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2014 Outback and after looking at the door keyhole I'm thinking of just buying another key, take the batteries out, thread a shoelace through it and put it under my wetsuit. I'll check with the dealer to make sure this is feasible. I could probably do the same with my SUV as it has a keyhole in the door as well. The hitchrack deal sounds like another possibility too. I used to use a Thule box and place my keys in there under sails and put the Thule box key in my wetsuit, but I've removed the Thule box for better mileage as gas prices soared. Thanks for the replies!
victor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been leaving my key inside my gas cap door for about 30 years. every once in a while i feel a little more cautious and get more creative.

unless you're parked in a totally deserted area evil doers can't waste time searching for your hiding place. until this year every theft i've seen or heard of involved a broken window.

the recent exception was at the berkeley ashby launch. a guy came back to his vehicle. his door was unlocked and his key was in the ignition. he swore he had locked up and hid the key.

if you ever park there you will notice broken window glass around the second two parking spots closest to the freeway behind a couple of trees. that's where his car was parked.

t's common knowledge among the regulars that those two spots are to be avoided. some even park across the street on the other side of the frontage road where a vehicle is in plain view from all angles.
benspikey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use this and it has worked great. Sure if someone really wanted in they could break it. Like anything if they want it bad enough they will find a way.

http://www.key-pod.com/
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all electronic keys. Home Depot will make a non electronic key for $2. They open doors, allow you to turn on the radio, but will not start the engine.

Or, just buy a lock box that realtors use. (for cars)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: