myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2 potential Cat 4 Hurricanes barreling in on Hawaii
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: 2 potential Cat 4 Hurricanes barreling in on Hawaii Reply with quote

Damn, looking for some local info . . .

Flying into OGG on Saturday am. Assuming these storms will miss or weaken as they approach . . . Iselle is currently tracking to pass over Maui on Friday with Julio hot on her heels early in the week.

What do these storms mean for sailing?? Assuming, its not so good. Imagine it will get quite wet, gusty and unsettled, though also imagine some strong swell will get kicked up . . . Wondering what to expect? Tropical storm winds sailable?

Also, how quickly do the usual summer trade patterns return after these major disturbances?

Mahalo
spennie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there two years ago when this same thing happened. There was a lot of lightning, and powerful gusty winds, so I'd say sailing it was out. We had one day of tropical storm, one day of brown water & no wind, then back to normal. Here's a link to the NWS Hurricane Center: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/?epac Both storms are expected to diminish, due to cooler waters.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are here in Maui now and leaving a day early (Wed) to try and beat the storms. From what I hear the trade wind pattern will return in about a day or two. Check the site hawaiiweathertoday.com under "Glenn's daily weather narrative" for a good detailed discussion. Good luck and be patient - the good sailing will return.

Rob
hitech

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure all storms are different but...
Arrived ahead of the storm two weeks ago on a Saturday, winds were light but sailable if you rigged a 6 meter. Sunday light in the morning but sailable in PM. Rain came Sunday night followed by no wind at all on Monday. Tuesday was as good of a 5.2/4.6 day that Maui has to offer.
Storms pass south of the islands so no North Shore sailable waves.
Similar pattern last year so disruptions are only for a couple of days and winds can vary between Kanaha and Kihie.
Good luck
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday morning now, Iselle is now cat 3 from cat 4, they are saying it could be cat 1 when it reaches Hawaii. Or it could break up more and slow down dumping huge amounts of rain either way, then the second one behind it.
At the very least looks like tons of rain and flooding, brown water and lingering rain all week. At worst a cat 1 or even 2 hurricane, blown off roofs and solar panels, power out for days, flooding, debris in water.
Your timing couldn't be much worse, can you postpone your trip?
SAS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Beaglebuddy.

Currently Iselle is projected to weaken to a tropical storm (39-73 mph) and pass south. This will bring us lightening and heavy rain. During the last tropical storm that hit us it rained so hard it was overflying my roof gutters and coming off the roof like a waterfall. Rain like that can leave behind polluted ocean water for days.

Then right after it Julio is coming. I'm more worried about it. On this map the circles with H in them mean it's a hurricane. As you can see, current projections bring it quite close to us. I know I'm spending time the next few days preparing for this event.

If I had the option to cancel or reschedule, I would.

iselle.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.01 KB
 Viewed:  18982 Time(s)

iselle.gif

julio.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.16 KB
 Viewed:  18982 Time(s)

julio.gif

SAS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read my post and think my English teachers would tell me I need to proofread my posts:
it's lightning, not lightening, and overflowing, not overflying
geohaye

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no English teacher, Steve, but I vote that you should be issued leniency for these minor trifles.

...just do what it takes to keep your house from washing away!
geohaye

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pretty good "Satellite+Wind" iWindsurf overview of what's bearing down upon Hawaii:

http://global.iwindsurf.com/en-us/Search/ViewResults.aspx#19.897,-155.583,5,9,!1129

Screen Shot 2014-08-05 at 2.52.53 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.27 MB
 Viewed:  18911 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2014-08-05 at 2.52.53 PM.png

SAS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, looking better
maybe you don't need to cancel your trip-right now they show Julio becoming a tropical storm and going to the north

of course this can change. When Iniki hit Kauai years ago it was moving east, well south of the islands, and then it took a right hand turn to the north to bring it directly over Kauai

julio2.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.08 KB
 Viewed:  18878 Time(s)

julio2.gif

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: